Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2014 11:12:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
There is still a lot of places that can be mined in this state, so for now I don't find it a big loss.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:13:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I am wondering when we should start the "oppose hypocrisy, stop chignik"
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:00:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I am all for exploiting and tapping our resources as long as it can be done safely and in a non-destructive manner.  I was determined in my opinion but then I spent a year in King Salmon and I got to where I'm not so sure anymore, on this issue at least.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:19:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Year-round $100k a year jobs for native HS grads?

NOOOOOO!!!! It will displease a white male billionaire!

But Democrats are the workin' man's party!  Republicans hate the poor minorities!

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:19:10 PM EDT
[#5]
And just how government activism and a scumbag (a family member has known him for years, and women have their stories, too) on a vendetta can kill a project like this in Alaska will have a far reaching consequences beyond Pebble.  Every major development takes into account a political environment risk, and Alaska has to rank right up with Venezuela in that regard.

Good luck with your tourism based summer job or firefighting job there.  Gee, that dividend check from the native corporation sure doesn't go far.  I wonder why?

This country's and state's political environment is so hostile to the resource industry I don't know if I can work here anymore.  You have to get outside of it to appreciate it.  I could if I wanted to spend 10 years between promotions - that is how ossified my career field is getting in Alaska, but in Canada I've gotten 3 significant promotions under 3 years without even really applying myself.  I am also among a network of like minded professionals that will gain me a good job anywhere in western Canada, Asia, or South America.

I hurt my career badly for ~15 years before realizing I had to leave the state to have a future.  I still live in Wasilla, but I'll move to BC one of these days as that is where the jobs are.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And just how government activism and a scumbag (a family member has known him for years, and women have their stories, too) on a vendetta can kill a project like this in Alaska will have a far reaching consequences beyond Pebble.  Every major development takes into account a political environment risk, and Alaska has to rank right up with Venezuela in that regard.

Good luck with your tourism based summer job or firefighting job there.  Gee, that dividend check from the native corporation sure doesn't go far.  I wonder why?

This country's and state's political environment is so hostile to the resource industry I don't know if I can work here anymore.  You have to get outside of it to appreciate it.  I could if I wanted to spend 10 years between promotions - that is how ossified my career field is getting in Alaska, but in Canada I've gotten 3 significant promotions under 3 years without even really applying myself.  I am also among a network of like minded professionals that will gain me a good job anywhere in western Canada, Asia, or South America.

I hurt my career badly for ~15 years before realizing I had to leave the state to have a future.  I still live in Wasilla, but I'll move to BC one of these days as that is where the jobs are.  

View Quote
The resistance is coming mostly from the feds though, right?

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Among government resistance, yeah, the Feds.  That is why I should not post while falling asleep, bone dead tired without critical thinking skills.

The state gov has been pro-mining for many years.   Murkowski was very pro mining as governer and shook up state employees dealing with the mining industry, but he did not get any credit for it.  If I were to guess, and I am certainly no vote counter, his level of support likely lost him votes.  

I do find it disturbing to find new acquaintances are leaning anti-mining, even if they can't articulate any reasons why.  The anti-Pebble barrage affects more than just Pebble.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I knew the greenies would never let this get off the ground. The EPA and feds have for decades wanted alaska to be americas national park, as much as they could lock up. I dare any environmentalist to show me 6 projects of any medium or large scope that have taken off since the EPA came into power (aside from their work on the cuyohoga river, which was needed badly.) They have shut down tons of projects that would be americans back to work and stop our reliance on foreign oil and its masters. BUT we cant have cooperation from a government entity who's sole purpose is to find more places to place its tentacles, much like the equally useless depart of the interior ...Makes me sick
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:04:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Sad to see that this project is DOA!  This just gives more ground to 'kill' more projects.  Just think, that if this level of thinking as rampant in the pre-pipe lines days, it never would have been built. Flame on folks, as I also think that the EPA is 'over steeping' their authority but that is just me!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#11]
EPA needs to be fucking gutted and killed. We have enough laws on the books to keep our environment healthy enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top