Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2014 4:07:43 PM EDT
In our constant effort to give bears a fireworks show before you make them angry with a bean bag and finally try to save your ass with a slug, I need more. The ones I'm using now are "bird bangers" and they still have $75 price tags (per 25) from Down Under Guns so I can't image what they cost now. Anybody know of such animals for sale in Alaska? Figured an Anchorage shop would have them if anywhere. These rounds are like bottle rocket fire crackers shot out of a 12 gauge. Bears call them dinner and a show.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Northern Security Supply usually has those. Some of the regulations have changed since 9/11, and most of those types of shells are a big-ass hassle that is totally not worth the paperwork any longer. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:32:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm under the impression that they weren't allowed to sell to civilians without a animal hazing permit (BASH program) after 9/11.

But in any case, how much do you think they are worth now cause I have at least a box or more in my stash.  I might be willing to sell.

I might have a full case of the stuff if I can find it.

I admit I also have a bag full of the crackers by themselves I took out of shells cause they are better than regular firecrackers, though no M-80.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:39:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm under the impression that they weren't allowed to sell to civilians without a animal hazing permit (BASH program) after 9/11.

But in any case, how much do you think they are worth now cause I have at least a box or more in my stash.  I might be willing to sell.

I might have a full case of the stuff if I can find it.

I admit I also have a bag full of the crackers by themselves I took out of shells cause they are better than regular firecrackers though no M-80.

View Quote

Yeah, they look like they'd take your fingers off though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:44:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, true story.

We used them on our radar sites because many are accessed via a runway.  We had BASH training to haze wildlife in case it threatened a (military) landing.  In one case there was an inbound C-130 and a moose on the runway.  This was at Sparrevohn.  My friend shot a bird bomb up into the air and arced it over.  They don't really have much weight so they don't go very far, like a shuttlecock in badminton, and they are horribly inconsistent to include sometimes blowing up just feet away from the barrel.  This one came down right along side the moose's ass when it exploded.  It blew chucks of hair off his ass.  It screamed and went running off down the hill then proceeded to keep running over the next two hills.  It was funny shit and a lucky shot.

They are also waterproof for the most part.  I like to shoot them underwater or into snow berms and blow them up.

In reality these days all firecrackers are limited to 30 milligrams of powder no matter how big or the shape and sometimes they pack multiple firecrackers into one big body.  I think the bird bombs have more powder.  But real M-80's had 2-½ to 3 GRAMS of powder.  You could blow toilets off the wall with them.

The really cool bird bombs had to be the 37mm bird bombs but those got banned for sale after 9/11.  You can get hollow rounds you can load up yourself though.

Oddly enough, you can still buy all sorts of exotic 12g ammo, many of them being the same as fireworks, or rounds like the bolo round with 2 slugs connected by 6" of piano wire, flechette rounds, dragon breath, etc.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#6]
That's hilarious. I've had then go off in the barrel before and that sucked.

We had a little old guy working for us and he was trying to get a caribou off the runway at umiat. Shot the thing and it went behind the caribou, went off and the thing bolted straight for him. I was in the truck damn near pissing my pants laughing and the closest thing to him was a 5000 gallon fuel tank so he dropped the gun and scrurried up the ladder.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:06:21 AM EDT
[#7]
He ran from a caribou?  An animal so stupid you can walk up to it and kill it with a rock? (well, my friend used his knife)

Still I sympathize and I have scrambled up multiple large bulk fuel tanks cause of grizzlies or polar bear.

And after my last hunt, I understand about them running at you.  I was in Nevada hunting black tail rabbit with friends using suppressed .22's and .223's.  They often ran straight at us cause when we missed the shot would land behind them and they would run away from it back at us.  The more we missed, the closer they ran to us, most of the time.  The spotlights may have had something to do with that too (night hunt).

ETA:  I once ran hard trying to get away from a charging moose.  They are so common I sometimes forget they can kick/stomp your ass.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Well when you are 5'2 and weigh 140lbs like little old richy, you run from most anything, haha.

I had to shoot a cow when I was 12 because I had walked between it and its calf unknowingly in some alders and put 3 rounds of 30-06 in it. 15 feet from first shell casing to first blood.

This cute little guy came by camp 2 days ago. Pretty sure first year away from mom. Pt Lonely
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top