Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2014 4:12:01 PM EDT
Just as the question says I can't find anything on google from this year this is the first year I've driven with studs on. Thanks for your help guys.

ETA: I am in Anchorage.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I took mine off.... in 1999.

I thin k studded tires are obsolete.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#2]
April 30 to Oct 31 I think is no stud season.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I took mine off.... in 1999.

I thin k studded tires are obsolete.
View Quote
You are crazy

When I was poor in my 20's I didn't have studded tires.  I just drove really, really, slow.

When I got studded tires I was amazed.  It was almost like driving in summer.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#4]
The newer ice tires are pretty damned amazing.

Blizzaks and Firestone Winterforce have made me a believer

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it is April 15, south of 60.

No, studded tires are not obsolete.  Even the best winter tires are improved with studs.  

I used to think things like studs, 4wd, or awd were crutches used by southern military wives, but anymore, anyone driving without awd/4wd with GOOD studded tires in the winter is a damned hazard to themselves and everyone else on the road.

When I used to drive back and forth from Wasilla to Fairbanks in bad weather, I used to leave my tow rope attached to the truck after pulling the first little bubble car out of a ditch.  One drive alone, I must have pulled a half dozen folks out of the ditch.

EDIT:  Your google-fu is weak, grasshopper: http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/faq/faq.htm

When must studded tires be removed?

It is unlawful to operate a motor vehicle with studded tires on a paved highway
or road from May 1st through September 15th, inclusive, north of 60 North Latitude and
from April 15th through September 30th, inclusive, south of 60 North Latitude, except
that at any latitude on a paved portion of the Sterling Highway a person may not operate a motor vehicle with studded tires from May 1st through September 15th, inclusive.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:20:11 PM EDT
[#6]
They are obsolete as far as I'm concerned.  Studs only help in certain conditions but the tires like Blizzaks are good for a much wider range of conditions.  I've found the traction to be superior to studs except in medium hard ice.

Unfortunately the soft compound used in those tires makes them winter tires unless you want to burn them off in the summer.  I think the last set I used was only good for around 8-10,000 miles on dry roads but they wore into regular all season tires in performance.  So soft they probably make for decent slicks in a pinch.

If I were to get studs, I would get the green diamond tires/treatment, or whatever they are called.  They take silicon carbide chips and shoot them into the tire tread.  You are not going to wear silicon carbide down like studs, and as the tire compound wears, chips are worn away and new chips are continually exposed.  Many more chips than studs to ice and you don't have to get it redone like studs.  You also don't have to take them off in the summer like studs as far as I know.  I think you can have them shoot the chips into your existing tires but it's not going to last like their tires where the chips run deep.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I ran some retread mud terrains with green diamond tread on a lifted jeep in the mountains of North Carolina when I was in college. For the random icy spots on twisty back roads, they couldn't be beat. Even in the rain I felt  better traction. Studded tires are pretty much unheard of down there and everyone with a mud tire thinks they can be an instant winter driver. Made a lot of beer pulling people out of the ditch down there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#8]
May 1st
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top