Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2014 11:56:39 AM EDT
I am signed up for the entire summer with the AK Department of Natural Resources doing trail work based out of Homer (final Internship for my Parks and Rec degree).  I have been looking into the Halibut fishing and hiking in the area.  Anyone have some good insights, warnings, and/or recommendations for other things to do in the area?     I was hoping to get some hunting in but it looks like all nonresidents must utilize a guide?  I was going to bring my 30-06 if there were hunting opportunities...     I have been in the area before but it was way back in 1996 when I was 16 y/o.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#2]
You lucky bastard.

Homer is awesome.

I recommend dipnetting China Poot creek at high tide in the summer for sockeyes.  It's on the other side of the bay so it's not crowded, especially if it's in the middle of the night (it's so light out it's easy to see).  You can go up to the Kenai River but it's crowded.  I don't know if non-residents can dipnet, come to think of it.

You are going to love it.

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You lucky bastard.

Homer is awesome.

I recommend dipnetting China Poot creek at high tide in the summer for sockeyes.  It's on the other side of the bay so it's not crowded, especially if it's in the middle of the night (it's so light out it's easy to see).  You can go up to the Kenai River but it's crowded.  I don't know if non-residents can dipnet, come to think of it.

You are going to love it.

View Quote

True. I also climbed China poot peak and it is incredible.  Words can't even begin to describe it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh I forgot to ask about how bad food prices are up there?   My position is a volunteer gig but they'll give us a $500 monthly food stipend.   How close should that get me through the month if I'm careful?   I am going to ask about freezer storage space & I'm thinking of getting a good stash of halibut going too.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#5]
That sounds like an awesome experience, I love homer.  Be sure to check out Boss Hoggz burgers while you're there, they have a jalapeno popper burger that is to die for.

Make another thread when you get up here, and I'll see if I can swing a work project in homer and we can meet up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Oh I forgot to ask about how bad food prices are up there?   My position is a volunteer gig but they'll give us a $500 monthly food stipend.   How close should that get me through the month if I'm careful?   I am going to ask about freezer storage space & I'm thinking of getting a good stash of halibut going too.
View Quote
500 a month for food should be fine, there's a Safeway grocery store smack dab in the middle of town.

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think its only grizzly bear sheep/goat that need a guide
However, you might find the big game non resident fees to be a hindrance

We do have a member that lives in Homer, hopefully he can give you some specific insight

Congratulations on your position
View Quote

Moose need a guide too.

ADF&F Tags and Licenses

heres a link to fish and game prices etc... for licenses. Not a lot of hunting if you are just there in the summer months as most seasons are spring/fall. Great fishing all around there though. Halibut fishing you will need to find someone who owns a boat. Homer is usually a 2-3 hour run out of the dock each way for decent fishing. if you go to ninilchik or deep creek its a much shorter run to get on the grounds but usually smaller fish. Great steelhead fishing in Deep Creek in the fall. Salmon has usually been shut down there though the last few years. But you can always go for kings in the lagoon on the Homer spit or just off shore for silvers. River fishing your're probably going to have to go toward kenai for the majority of your salmon fishing without a boat. If youre walking dog trails watch out for bears believe DNR does not allow their people to use firearms, ran into a bunch of them around the russian river last year and they were pretty confrontational with guys carrying guns espousing the wonders of bear spray and that should be what everyone uses etc... Get some long sleeves and a mosquito netting for your head, the mosquitos will eat you alive. Have fun
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 7:09:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Moose need a guide too.

ADF&F Tags and Licenses

heres a link to fish and game prices etc... for licenses. Not a lot of hunting if you are just there in the summer months as most seasons are spring/fall. Great fishing all around there though. Halibut fishing you will need to find someone who owns a boat. Homer is usually a 2-3 hour run out of the dock each way for decent fishing. if you go to ninilchik or deep creek its a much shorter run to get on the grounds but usually smaller fish. Great steelhead fishing in Deep Creek in the fall. Salmon has usually been shut down there though the last few years. But you can always go for kings in the lagoon on the Homer spit or just off shore for silvers. River fishing your're probably going to have to go toward kenai for the majority of your salmon fishing without a boat. If youre walking dog trails watch out for bears believe DNR does not allow their people to use firearms, ran into a bunch of them around the russian river last year and they were pretty confrontational with guys carrying guns espousing the wonders of bear spray and that should be what everyone uses etc... Get some long sleeves and a mosquito netting for your head, the mosquitos will eat you alive. Have fun
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think its only grizzly bear sheep/goat that need a guide
However, you might find the big game non resident fees to be a hindrance

We do have a member that lives in Homer, hopefully he can give you some specific insight

Congratulations on your position

Moose need a guide too.

ADF&F Tags and Licenses

Moose don't require a guide. It's in the table on the page you posted "--" in the guide required slot instead of "yes" like it does for Brown Bear, Goat, and Sheep.

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I stand corrected on the moose thing, my bad
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:02:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am signed up for the entire summer with the AK Department of Natural Resources doing trail work based out of Homer (final Internship for my Parks and Rec degree).  I have been looking into the Halibut fishing and hiking in the area.  Anyone have some good insights, warnings, and/or recommendations for other things to do in the area?     I was hoping to get some hunting in but it looks like all nonresidents must utilize a guide?  I was going to bring my 30-06 if there were hunting opportunities...     I have been in the area before but it was way back in 1996 when I was 16 y/o.
View Quote

there are several of us in Homer,..give me a shout when you get here,....I'll feed you to the bears show you around
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I should be in Homer either 17th or 21st of May - August 15th.  Prob be on a 4-8 days on & 2-4 days off schedule.      Anyone know of the available transportation options from ANC airport to Homer?  I've gotta start piecing that together.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I should be in Homer either 17th or 21st of May - August 15th.  Prob be on a 4-8 days on & 2-4 days off schedule.      Anyone know of the available transportation options from ANC airport to Homer?  I've gotta start piecing that together.
View Quote

Unless you fly out of ANC to Homer or rent a car you won't find transport directly from the ANC airport to Homer.  When I took this in High school, it departed from downtown Anchorage.  There is a public bus route from the airport to downtown that will cost $2.  The website doesn't say where the Homer Stageline departs from, but I assume it is from 4th avenue downtown where I boarded.

http://stagelineinhomer.com/anchorage__homer

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

check with Homer Stage Coach I think they may still do summer runs inbetween homer and anch
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You lucky bastard.

Homer is awesome.

View Quote

Raven lies.
Raven  lies like hungry mongrel dog with fleas.
Everyone in Homer drives a Subaru, wears Carhartts ( 6months between laundering), womens are all hippies, wear long johns under there skirts , with rubber boots ( not kidding )
Gasoline costs 4 bucks and change, no place in town will sell you any ammo,  even though there are  FULL FUCKING CASES behind the counter.
 Alaska is really cool, as long as you STAY IN ANCHORAGE.
..... oh, and  this other helpful hint, Regarding : "they'll give us a $500 monthly food stipend."
That'll buy lunch... twice.
Ain't nothing to see down here, just a bumpy, jagged pothole with a road running through it.
Oh, and taxes. yup, we'll TAX all your shit here.
The rest of the state calls us Homerhoids. And they mean it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Are you working for Roger?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:40:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top