Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked Alaskans: Check in (Page 4 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Is is still legal to homestead in Alaska?  I met a couple back in 1988 that was heading to Alaska to homestead.

Just wondering.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope, no more homesteading.  Other than a very special case where a case was made right from 1964, and a special exemption a few years ago for Natives who served in 'Nam and missed out, homesteading has been over since the 60's or maybe very early 70's.

If I could, I would.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I think there are still land lotteries though
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:45:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey, new guy checking in! 18 yr. college student, born and raised in the great State doing my GER before I leave in '07. I'm a Boy Scout Instructor for Lifeguarding and Wilderness Survival so I frequent the Survival forum along with the LEO forum as my planned career is US Marshals. Soon as I'm 21 (and still in state), I'm packing.

God I love this state.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Hi, checking in.

Name's Herb, I'm 25, military in Petersburg.

Enjoy the increasing sunshine!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By prplegophr:
Hi, checking in.

Name's Herb, I'm 25, military in Petersburg.

Enjoy the increasing sunshine!

Welcome and thank you!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:37:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By AK_Mike:
I think there are still land lotteries though

Yes also local govt's auction off undeveloped land real cheap.  For example, Grey Cliffs inorth of Nikiskiski.  Like $1500 for a couple acres with crap road access.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:29:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Name's Phil, came to AK through the AF, had been trying to get stationed here for years.  We decided to stay, so I joined the ANG.  I've been attempting to get an AR setup for a couple of years, and I finally decided to get one.  I bought the Bushmaster modular carbine.  It seems to make a good starting platform, with most the mods I want already installed.  Now, I've got to decide which ACOG to install.  I live outside of Palmer, and occasionally shoot at the sportsman's club.  I've been thinking about setting up a shooting lane in my garage though for testing loads.
Link Posted: 4/27/2006 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#10]
My name's Clint I live and work in Los Anchorage..... I'm 31 years old, and am prior military... AMMO, IYAAYAS....

I like to trap and hunt, I'm always on the go. I have a wife and 3 sons! I was stationed here in '94-96 at Elmendorf, went home and returned in 2001. I work at an electrical wholesale outfit, across the street from the Bush Company...

My gun collection is always changing, I buy ,sell and trade my guns all the time. At the present I have two AR's, an Olympic Arms and an American Spirit Arms.  

I usually go shooting out near Point MacKenzie, or north of Palmer!

If ya'll see a Gray and Black '90 Chevy Blazer with a Rebel flag license plate on the front stop and help me get it started....lol

- Clint
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Howdy! Im Eric! I will be living in Ketchikan by the end of July! Just got a job flying air ambulances up there! I cant wait!
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 1:32:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alaskantinbender] [#12]
Hello all,
I guess I better check in. Im Jim and live near Wasilla, age 47.
I work out of the state for 17 days and am home for 11 on a rotation schedule, as an A&P mechanic.
I have 2 ar's a bushmaster varmiter and an oly 16 inch carr.
I enjoy the ar15 site but have spent most of my time on the falfiles the last 5 or 6 years.  

Regards,

Jim
Link Posted: 9/25/2006 1:34:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Here we go-

Tony, 30, Hazardous Devices Tech

Just moved to Alaska (Active Army) and have settled in Wasilla.

16" A3 ultra light with all the extra BS to make it heavy again

I love to shoot, ARs, AKs, pistols, you name it.

Awesome place up here fellas, glad I finally made it!

All I need is a buddy to go shooting with
Link Posted: 9/26/2006 2:34:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scout11] [#14]
Hi, Checking in. My name is Josh, I live in North Pole, Alaska. I am a F-16 Crew Chief here at Eielson.
Link Posted: 10/10/2006 1:44:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I've been reading AR15.com for the past few years but only registed a few months ago.

I'm Jack, I'm an A-10 Crew Chief at Eielson. Been here 2 yeras and I'll be leaving at the end of next summer b/c of BRAC. Mopeman440 is the one who told me about there being a hometown section of this forum (we're in the same AMU). I'm pretty big into all guns, but I enjoy the Mosin-Nagant, AR's, AK's and Garands the most. Everyone in my flight considers me a gun nut, but we'll see whose house they come running to when the zombies attack.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 11:42:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm new to Alaska.  I'm stationed at Ft. Wainwright with the 172nd.  Can't wait to do some exploring once I get settled in.
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 12:15:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Those in Fairbanks, Eielson, and Ft. Wainwright - we need to hook up.  I won't be back in town till summer but when I do I go shooting pretty much every single day.  Car trunk is usually packed with machineguns, cases of ammo, and tannerite.  Drop by the range and help me burn it all off...
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 1:25:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Mike

I will be departing Alaska in June...it's time for me to move on. Unfortunitely.

Are you going to be back prior to June 4th?
Link Posted: 11/12/2006 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I should be back by April or so, most likely sometime before June.  See you there.
Link Posted: 11/15/2006 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah count me in also, I work with Sledhead907 so I wanna join in also.
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By AK_Mike:
Those in Fairbanks, Eielson, and Ft. Wainwright - we need to hook up.  I won't be back in town till summer but when I do I go shooting pretty much every single day.  Car trunk is usually packed with machineguns, cases of ammo, and tannerite.  Drop by the range and help me burn it all off...

I might have to take you up on that offer.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm on the Holitna River in the summer months.
I have a camp about 30 miles up river from Sleetmute Village
Link Posted: 1/20/2007 4:48:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chancer] [#23]
Hi, another wasillian here. been reading these forums for a while now and just found the Alaska section im 28 and ive had BRD for a while now but only just putting together my first AR. Love to fish and do other outside stuff during the summer. Im in the HVAC line of work. Anyways maybe can find someone to go shoot with here
seeyas around
Chance

<--- haha 5years later and im on post number 2
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#24]
hi my name is ed. im 27 years old in anchorage. currently working for UPS, been there 5 years this april. ive been into guns ever since i was young. i was the little kid in the neighborhood with all the cool toy guns.. parents really arent into guns so i didnt get the real thing till i was old enough to buy them on my own.   i currently own 6 firearms and 2 spud cannons and paitently waiting for my first AK pistol parts kit to arrive.. its my first build so wish me luck!

im mainly here for Q n A.... and yes i might have answers for you AK fans cause i think i know alot about the AK..... and no questions like "which ak varient is better?!?!" reason i ask is cause "supposdly" Romaians are one of the worst... well i tell you what i own one and put about 3500+ rds threw it and still NO JAM to this day.... ive had bunk bullets not fire thats it...  so go fiqure and DONT ASK THAT QUESTION!  lol...

ive had a few fello friends and co-workers recommend this site to me and so far i like what i see...  thanks all

Ed

Link Posted: 3/10/2007 2:17:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Hello:

My name is Terry. After i retired as a fulltime Fire Fighter Paramedic. The wife and i moved from Maine up her in Fairbanks/ NorthPole area 14 years ago.
We did the BUSH liveing for three years. 310 miles north of Fairbanks up on the Yukon River. We loved it and now miss it.
Now I'm retired from my job up here. Now we can start seeing the state and do more traveling. Also more time to play with my AR10  
Link Posted: 3/10/2007 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Hi All ... Daniel here!  Looks like Im the only one in Kodiak on the Alaska forum. Been here about 15 yrs. Im 46 married and own Daniel's Jewelry. I also teach martial arts/self defense and Have been into shooting all my life. Basically if its got a trigger I'll shoot it. Have most of the standard Alaska guns ..you know the .338, 300 WSM, 45-70, 1911, Sig .40, .44 mag and of course my Black Rifle!  Double Star Flat top CAR 16".
We are lucky here in Kodiak! If you join KISA (Kodiak Island Sportsman Association) you get  the key to the ranges. We have 3. One indoor pistol, one 50-100 rifle and one 100-500 rifle and of course a 50 pistol. If your comin this was let me know and ...please .... bring ... ammo. My wife shot up all my .223 !  

Link Posted: 3/10/2007 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Greeting's Ak_Postal, AlaskanAR10, Kodan.

Welcome to our HTF.

Link Posted: 4/26/2007 1:46:22 AM EDT
[#28]
atacdale66 here. Born and raised here in the Great Land. Avid shooter and collector.
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 1:58:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Hmmm..some more bout me.

Am 40 years old unmarried and work on the slope (2on/2off).

As I mentioned I am an avid collector. Just bought a Springfiled SOCOM II today! Cannot wait to get it out to the range and poke .30 caliber holes in paper.

I am also a 1911 lover and I love Glocks too!

Look forward to chatting with and perhapse getting together woth some of you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2007 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By atacdale66:
Hmmm..some more bout me.

Am 40 years old unmarried and work on the slope (2on/2off).

As I mentioned I am an avid collector. Just bought a Springfiled SOCOM II today! Cannot wait to get it out to the range and poke .30 caliber holes in paper.

I am also a 1911 lover and I love Glocks too!

Look forward to chatting with and perhapse getting together woth some of you.

Welcome.
You like 1911’s WooHoo same here.
You liking Glocks covers both bases. Smart to post this fact.
Where do you sleep when not on the Slope?

Springfield SOCOM II. Shoot it yet? If so how do you like it? Or you could post a range report. I like reading them.
I am thinking about picking up one. I am a lefty so that is what is holding me back.

Ripak
Be Safe Have Fun

Link Posted: 4/28/2007 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Ken here, was from AK, live in OR unfortunately due to work.  Is Niels Green from Gunrunners on this board?  How about Steve McDaniel from AK Tactical?

Thanks
Ken
Link Posted: 4/28/2007 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Welcome.
You like 1911’s WooHoo same here.
You liking Glocks covers both bases. Smart to post this fact.
Where do you sleep when not on the Slope?

Springfield SOCOM II. Shoot it yet? If so how do you like it? Or you could post a range report. I like reading them.
I am thinking about picking up one. I am a lefty so that is what is holding me back.

Ripak
Be Safe Have Fun

Hey Ripak!

Home is in Anchortown (Anchorage).

Where's home for you?

Grew up shooting 1911's and inherited my dad's love of them.

Took some time for me to warm up to the "plastic" pistol. Now I've got five of'em.

Took the SOCOM to the range Thursday and after I got set up I found a CRACK in the stock . Springfield has got another enroute to me. I went ahead and got a Vltor stock for it and will try to get to the range before I go back up North.

Will get a range report up post haste when I get it to the range. Will try to get some pics up when I can figure out how to do it.

Regards,
Link Posted: 5/2/2007 5:08:34 AM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By atacdale66:
Hey Ripak!

Home is in Anchortown (Anchorage).

Where's home for you?

Grew up shooting 1911's and inherited my dad's love of them.

Took some time for me to warm up to the "plastic" pistol. Now I've got five of'em.

Took the SOCOM to the range Thursday and after I got set up I found a CRACK in the stock . Springfield has got another enroute to me. I went ahead and got a Vltor stock for it and will try to get to the range before I go back up North.

Will get a range report up post haste when I get it to the range. Will try to get some pics up when I can figure out how to do it.

Regards,

I live in Eagle River.
I shoot out at Birchwood Shooting Park often.
Maybe we can get together sometime.

Sorry about the cracked stock.
Awaiting your next Range Report.

Feel free to IM me anytime

Rip
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 12:38:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Another Alaskan, dont spend much time at Birchwood, but when I get a chance I shoot there...
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 5:38:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ripak] [#35]

Originally Posted By AK_Stick:
Another Alaskan, dont spend much time at Birchwood, but when I get a chance I shoot there...

Hi AK_Stick

I shoot out at Birchwood often.
As a matter of fact, I just got home from shooting out there with another ARF.com'er.

Maybe we can get together for some range time.

Oh and Welcome to ARF.com.

Ripak
Be Safe Have Fun

Edit: for typo.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Hi Jim and all. New guy today. 59 yrs in the state, NRA benefactor member and life long shooter. Last AR I had was 1967 and was issued to me by you know who. So at
59 I thought I'd play again...man have they changed. Just a month ago I got my RRA
A4 midlength, topped it with an Aimpint CompML3, Arms 22M68 base and full spacer.
ARMS 40 buis. Co-witness is perfect. Trijicon front post. This thing drives tacks, 1MOA at
100 and I'm just goofing around still. Live in Anchorage, electrical wholesale all my life.
Birchwood EPA member for years....great range. I'm there at 7 am quite a bit. My other
favorite is my custom Marlin 45-70 for everything else....and a cupla 45 auto's. Good to see there's an Alaskan crew here
Take care and we'll be seeing you around
Mark
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Ken, I know Niels....great guy....he's my RRA dealer. Just ordered my 2nd A4 , midlength from him o Saturday
Mark
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 12:19:50 AM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By Midlength:
Hi Jim and all. New guy today. 59 yrs in the state, NRA benefactor member and life long shooter. Last AR I had was 1967 and was issued to me by you know who. So at
59 I thought I'd play again...man have they changed. Just a month ago I got my RRA
A4 midlength, topped it with an Aimpint CompML3, Arms 22M68 base and full spacer.
ARMS 40 buis. Co-witness is perfect. Trijicon front post. This thing drives tacks, 1MOA at
100 and I'm just goofing around still. Live in Anchorage, electrical wholesale all my life.
Birchwood EPA member for years....great range. I'm there at 7 am quite a bit. My other
favorite is my custom Marlin 45-70 for everything else....and a cupla 45 auto's. Good to see there's an Alaskan crew here
Mark

Mark,

Welcome! Myself and several others from this forum get together at Birchwood and shoot. I too am a RRA owner and an avid 1911 fan. I try to get out on Wednesday's around 11'ish or so. Glad to see that your liking the RRA. Got that RRA and a Bushmaster as well. I'll look for you and maybe we can drive tacks together.

V/R
 Dale
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By Midlength:
Mark

Welcome
I'm a Brichwood Member also.
Wednesdays is my range day but might change to Mondays.

Ripak
Be Safe Have Fun
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 12:43:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Hey Clint, which one you work for:  Crescent, NorthCoast or Stusser.
I'm a Coastie, 35 yrs in the business in this town and gonna retire in about
4 years....me and my RRA are gonna retire that is. Drop me a note
Mark
Link Posted: 7/25/2007 2:42:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Name is Zeke...  Been in Alaska since June 1979, almost 30 years....  

I'm 44 years old, married with 3 boys, ages 23, 17 & 12.

I have 5 Black Rifles, they are:

1) Bushmaster A2, 16 Inch Carbine.

2) DPMS Lower with a RRA Flat-Top Upper, 20 Inch, with a 44-16X50 MilDot Scope

3) DoubleStar Lower with a DelTon 16 Inch Middy Flat-Top Upper & A2 Removable Carry Handle

4) DoubleStar Completed Lower with 6 Pos Stock that will become my 14 1/2 Inch SBR
5) DoubleStar completed and registered Pistol with a 10 Inch Upper.

Sorry, No pics of the last 2.

Link Posted: 7/25/2007 3:13:16 AM EDT
[#42]
TSgt Shane Woyak here.  Will be moving to Anchorage area in November 2007.  Currently deployed to Iraq.  Haven't shot for sport in a long time.  Looking to get back into it after move.  Last time I sport-shot was in Tucson Arizona with friends.  Currently do not own any firearms, but will be changing that ASAP, lol.  Grew up around rifles, used mostly for Deer hunting in Wisconsin.  First rifle was an M-1 carbine, later followed by 44 Ruger (which was my mothers, and now belongs to my brother, but she can sure as hell knock down some whitetail).  Anyway, looking to get back into sport shooting rifles/handguns with my son (9 yrs old, expert BB-gun)  Hope to see some of you around up there in "Da Great White Nort!"

Yak
Link Posted: 7/26/2007 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Welcome to Alaska and ARFcom, YAK.  This is a great place to shoot with your son.  It's also a hunting mecca - wait until you see our moose.  Get yourself another .44 for the mosquitoes (state bird), as well as a shotty (bear medicine).  People take blackies with .44's (and bows ).

I highly recommend that once you get settled, check in on AMGA (Alaska Machine Gun Association) as they have many open shoots in the Anchorage area.  Not only do they do a lot of charity shoots, some are specifically for youths.  It's good family fun with some great people.

All my personal respect and huge thanks for your service to our country.  Alaska is very proud and supportive of our military men. We will be honored to have you.
Link Posted: 7/26/2007 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Sarn't , thanks for your service.

BTW, Alaska has the highest % of veterans per capita, at 17%.

Just about 1 outta 5 have served so it makes for more thought provoking conversation.

ATW
Link Posted: 7/27/2007 1:03:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Hi, im Ben.  I been in AK since 2005. im planning to settle here.  Im in Bethel flying for one of the small airlines.  Im hoping to move to one of the more civilized parts of the state soon.
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 7:00:40 AM EDT
[#46]
James, 22 years old from NJ. College student. Working on my first AR at the moment. Big fan of Berettas and 1911's. Also love shooting the custom mauser
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 7:03:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Welcome!!..

What part of the state are you in?
Link Posted: 10/20/2007 1:09:29 AM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By viper5243:
James, 22 years old from NJ. College student. Working on my first AR at the moment. Big fan of Berettas and 1911's. Also love shooting the custom mauser

Welcome James, i grew up in Jersey too.  what part of jersey are you from and where in Alaska are you now.  Ben  
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 8:57:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Conspiro-Agnew] [#49]
Hmm, never made a formal introduction that I can remember. Ed, 32 years old. Moved here in 2006 from Atlanta. Left for Seattle for a time. Came back this summer to settle down. Enlisted in the AK ARNG and work for Alaska Airlines. Live in Anchorage for the time being, would like to eventually find land out in the valley somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/29/2007 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Okay...so I am working on putting together a new ar15 or two, project guns.

I have been looking on the Equipment Exchange and even though the item has been used the seller still wants the new price for the item.  Is it me or is everyone getting crazy.  Often I can order the same item new as what the old used items are.  Then my second rant is if you are the first one to reply and want to buy something they will sell it to another in the lower 48.

Anyway still having fun trying to get my build my project guns
Page / 9
Tacked Alaskans: Check in (Page 4 of 9)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top