Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 7/16/2017 8:43:56 PM EDT
Graduated from ISU in May and moved to Monticello earlier this summer - would like to find a good local FFL. I know there are plenty around Dubuque and Cedar Rapids but hoping someone on here could recommend some good folks either for just transfers or with inventory around Monticello, Anamosa, etc.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#1]
http://fflgundealers.net/search_results.php?location=52310&zip_miles=25&&page=1
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ffl-dealers/iowa/monticello.do

Theisen's in Monticello & Anamosa are listed as FFLs at the above links, didn't even think of them.
Don't know know if they'll do transfers or not, never asked.
Unsure what they carry for stock in those two stores but the larger ones in CR/IC have at least some stuff.
Nothing like you're going to see for selection at actual gun shops in CR/IC/DBQ though they have been trying to get more around.  

Also listed is "Kevin's Guns." Now... given the address is the same as the funeral home up there on Main Hill, and I know that's run by Kevin Smith, I was suspecting it's the same guy.  
Didn't know he was an FFL but I talked to a family friend and he confirmed Kevin does do some buying/selling and orders things in, so he might be worth a call.
Nice guy from any dealings I've ever had with him, (at least as a funeral director...)

Our friend also mentioned a place out in the country down on Hwy 64, just east of where the Amber road joins in, but didn't remember the name.  From his description of the location & looking at The Great Googly Moogly Maps I think it's the "Highway 64 Trading Post".  
He said when he'd talked to them a while back they seemed to have good prices for ordering things in.  Didn't mention what kind of stock they have on hand, if any.

He also said the pawn shop there on main street supposedly has an FFL now too.

There are other FFLs listed in the area at the links above but I'm not familiar with any of them.

Worst case, stop out to the gun club there some time when they're open and ask around.
Happy huntin'
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#2]
A big plus for the Highway 64 Trading Post you will be treated right.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Third for Jim at H64 Trading Post if that's your area.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmm.  Thought I had this in my last message, but don't know why it didn't take, or maybe I accidentally deleted before submit.
Regardless...

When driving up to Monti to see the folks, I've also seen the signs along 151 south of Anamosa for "Bait Guns & More".
Never stopped in, know nothing about them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#5]
buffalo bills gun shop in stone city/anamosa.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:24:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
buffalo bills gun shop in stone city/anamosa.
View Quote
Make sure to stop at the General store, and grab a bite to eat. The basements around there tend to be cool. You will need the calories to stay warm while putting the lotion on or getting the hose 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:25:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hmm.  Thought I had this in my last message, but don't know why it didn't take, or maybe I accidentally deleted before submit.
Regardless...

When driving up to Monti to see the folks, I've also seen the signs along 151 south of Anamosa for "Bait Guns & More".
Never stopped in, know nothing about them.
View Quote
Monti? In Quasky here
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Monti? In Quasky here
View Quote
Sorry, my fault...
To me "Monti" was always (and obviously still is) short for "Monticello" rather than the little burg of Monti there by Quasky.

In fact I don't even remember when first learning there actually is a Monti as well, and that it wasn't even that far away.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Make sure to stop at the General store, and grab a bite to eat. The basements around there tend to be cool. You will need the calories to stay warm while putting the lotion on or getting the hose 
View Quote
As to the General Store, we've been there a few times a few years ago and it was ok.
Nice setting and building, but the food didn't really impress.
Wasn't outright bad, just typical bar food, kinda... meh
Maybe if they'd had fava beans & a nice chianti
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
agreed.  

love that place.  ...and yeah, don't tread on the locals or you'll end up at the bottom of a limestone walled hole...
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top