Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 4/21/2017 1:24:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/21/2017 1:25:00 PM EDT by shack357]
Went out this morning, got this one-didn't have a scale close but probably a bit over 20 pounds. Got him in a cooler of salty ice water, hoping to eat Sunday. Got a message from a coworker I was out there with, he got his on the other end of the property, and verified the buck I missed last shotgun season is still alive(had him within 50yds of his blind). Brother in law is going out tomorrow, here's hoping he gets one too.

ETA-Browning BPS in 10 gauge, Winchester 3 1/2" "4 shot.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:50:38 AM EDT
I wanted to this weekend, but with there not being any rain, we have to get going on field work. This morning I got a notification from my cell trail cam of a flock of turkeys going through my spot at 0630....
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:31:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/26/2017 9:32:13 AM EDT by wired1979]
Shot one with two beards on 4/19/17 in NE Iowa. Not a huge bird, but first one with multiple beards. Benelli SBE with HeviShot 3 1/2 loads.

my son had a swing and a miss on a large tom on opening day season 1. That monday was crazy with movement and lots of birds. day 2, 3, and 4 were slower due to weather I think, but still saw birds.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:42:42 AM EDT
Partner got a decent tom Monday about 3. He saw a lot of birds on Sunday but missed. I saw one hen. Boone River valley.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:30:07 PM EDT
I didnt get a tag this year just been to busy
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:57:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/26/2017 3:58:24 PM EDT by wired1979]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Partner got a decent tom Monday about 3. He saw a lot of birds on Sunday but missed. I saw one hen. Boone River valley.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:58:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Iowaredneck:
I didnt get a tag this year just been to busy
View Quote
There's 4th season yet!
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:03:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By wired1979:

There's 4th season yet!
View Quote
Trying to make up my mind whether I want to get a 4th season tag-father in law wants as many turkeys shot as possible, will probably give it a try.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:15:57 AM EDT
I went out 2nd season and shot my very first bird. 17 pounds, 9 3/4" beard, 1" spurs, nice fan. I ended up taking it with my late grandfathers old Remington Sportsman 58. He shot hundreds of pheasants with it over the years but could never get a turkey. Wish he could have been with me. My grandpa was a great man!

Brad
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:28:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BMPRacing:
I went out 2nd season and shot my very first bird. 17 pounds, 9 3/4" beard, 1" spurs, nice fan. I ended up taking it with my late grandfathers old Remington Sportsman 58. He shot hundreds of pheasants with it over the years but could never get a turkey. Wish he could have been with me. My grandpa was a great man!

Brad
View Quote
1" spurs and only 17 pounds? That's an old bird to be that light-maybe past breeding age and on his way out. That means he already passed on his genes-a trophy for sure, and shot with a classic shotgun!

This seems fitting.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:55:49 PM EDT
Somebody got two westbound on the Avenue about 3 miles west of Floyd the other day.
At least I think they had been turkeys at some point.
I watched a couple strut and stand on a gravel road southwest of Nora Springs yesterday morning for about 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:53:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 34ID11B:
Somebody got two westbound on the Avenue about 3 miles west of Floyd the other day.
At least I think they had been turkeys at some point.
I watched a couple strut and stand on a gravel road southwest of Nora Springs yesterday morning for about 10 minutes.
View Quote
I've seen those two myself-there was another recently near the Plymouth exit. That one was laying in a way that I had to go to the next exit and backtrack, I thought it was a dead eagle. Dark color, similar size when driving by at 65.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:41:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/30/2017 10:27:14 PM EDT by BMPRacing]
Originally Posted By shack357:
1" spurs and only 17 pounds? That's an old bird to be that light-maybe past breeding age and on his way out. That means he already passed on his genes-a trophy for sure, and shot with a classic shotgun!

This seems fitting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H74RqPzKrY0
View Quote
Just saw your post shack357. Thanks for the video/song! It was perfect!

Brad

The gun looks pretty good in this pic but it has a ton of beauty marks. The blueing is completely worn off of the bottom of the receiver where he carried it.

My bird is on the left:

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:01:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/27/2017 10:02:00 PM EDT by shack357]
Originally Posted By BMPRacing:

Just saw your post shack357. Thanks for the video/song! It was perfect!

Brad

The gun looks pretty good in this pic but it has a ton of beauty marks. The blueing is completely worn off of the bottom of the receiver where he carried it.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/BMPRacing/IMG_5790_zps1ukqe99i.jpg

My bird is on the bottom:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/BMPRacing/IMG_2464_zpsgzjs2fzh.jpg
View Quote
Nice-and a good looking gun. Lots of honest wear, no abuse. I had an 870 Wingmaster worn exactly like you describe your shotgun-no bluing on the bottom where a hand rubbed for a long time.but I didn't inherit it, I bought it at Cabelas. A lot of meals have probably been eaten thanks to that gun(and the people who have been behind it)!
Page Hometown » Iowa
Top Top