Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 3/25/2017 4:04:56 PM EDT
My permit expires on 4/25.

Monday is exactly 30 days from that date.  

So it sounds like I just squeaked in, right?  Nope.

My permit was originally issued in Blackhawk county.  Polk county says that I can't renew, because it was from a different county. (Fuck you Polk county) Per them, it has to be a new application.  Link

So, if I can't renew, and I have to get a "new" permit, can I use my 214 again and not pay for a class?

What is a good class?  Cheapest?  Quickest?

UPDATE:

Got the email/text that my permit was ready to pick up last week.  I anticipated getting it right at 30 days, but they did it sooner. 

A nice lady at the office helped me out and treated me right.  In and out with my new permit in 10 minutes. 

I didn't inquire as to anything else, I just STFU, handed her my 214 and license, she scanned it, took my picture and handed my permit a couple minutes later.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

So, if I can't renew, and I have to get a "new" permit, can I use my 214 again and not pay for a class?
View Quote

It is my understanding that you can, since it is a new permit. I don't have anything to prove it other than memory of conversations that happened shortly after the switch to "Shall Issue" in 2010 and again when guys started coming up for renewal in late 2015.  

Looks like you are going to be unable to carry for 30 days though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It is my understanding that you can, since it is a new permit. I don't have anything to prove it other than memory of conversations that happened shortly after the switch to "Shall Issue" in 2010 and again when guys started coming up for renewal in late 2014.  

Looks like you are going to be unable to carry for 30 days though.
View Quote
IDK, I think I should be good.

My permit now is valid and expires in more than a month.  If they are making me get a "new" one, that's not going to invalidate my current permit that I'm aware of, and I should be able to apply right now, today, and have it completed before my current one runs out.  Which would give me two valid permits with differing expiration dates.  In theory at least.  

I looked through the code, and I didn't see anything that seemed to apply to the current situation.

I did a cursory look at a couple other county pages, and I didn't note other counties doing the same thing.  Looked through the code too, and I didn't note anything that will make my current permit invalid somehow based on a new application, didn't see anything that specifically said I couldn't apply for a new one now (and Polk county is very specific that it has to be a *new* application), nor did I note anything that would imply Polk county is 100% wrong.  Course, I am not a lawyer so I may be all fucked up here.  

For the record, I'm inclined to think they are doing this to make shit more difficult for us.

Fuck you again Polk county.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:45:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Monday is exactly 30 days from that date.  

So it sounds like I just squeaked in, right?  Nope.

My permit was originally issued in Blackhawk county.  Polk county says that I can't renew, because it was from a different county. (Fuck you Polk county) Per them, it has to be a new application.  Link

What is a good class?  Cheapest?  Quickest?
View Quote

10-8 did it on my phone forget the guys name but he was very quick to answer the few questions I had by emailI know a lot of people that used it all were very happy

https://10-8firearmsinstruction.com/
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd think you could use your DD-214 for the new permit and carry on your old one until it expires.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want, take the free and quick 30 minute DC Firearms Safety course.  Since its new I agree your old DD214 should work.  Also when I renewed my permit I did it a little early, had like 8 months left.  According the counter ladies at the Polk county sheriff's office, your old permit is invalid on the date they issue the new one.    I don't see that anywhere in the code, my take is that you're good until your current permit expires. INAL
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#6]
If you wait until you are just under the 30 days you can always use your DD214. In this particular case you can use your DD214 since they are requiring a new issue. It only becomes a problem if you are trying to meet the renewal deadline. Then you can't use it under current requirements.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I applied, haven't heard anything back yet.  

I'm sure they will take their sweet ass time too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#8]
A soon as the governor signs HF517 (any day now) permit renewals will no longer even require proof of re-training. Will make things more convenient for everyone hopefully.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:01:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Got the email/text that my permit was ready to pick up last week.  I anticipated getting it right at 30 days, but they did it sooner.

A nice lady at the office helped me out and treated me right.  In and out with my new permit in 10 minutes.

I didn't inquire as to anything else, I just STFU, handed her my 214 and license, she scanned it, took my picture and handed my permit a couple minutes later.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:53:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A soon as the governor signs HF517 (any day now) permit renewals will no longer even require proof of re-training. Will make things more convenient for everyone hopefully.
View Quote
is this still true? what part of the bill was this my wife is due for a renewal so Id like to be prepared when I go in with her. I am G2G for 4 years still
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Half true. Renewals will no longer require retraining, but that part of the law doesn't take effect until July 1.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Half true. Renewals will no longer require retraining, but that part of the law doesn't take effect until July 1.
View Quote
Which works because I know she has a while still before it's up
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#13]
When I renewed my permit I waited till I had less than 30 days left so I had to get a new permit.  I turned in my DD214 with my form for a "new permit". I got my new permit before my old permit expired.  It was less expensive to pay the extra $25 for a new permit than to take a class.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm due to renew two weeks later. Made an idiot out of myself last year, went in for a new issue with my 214, and didn't realize I still had a year to go-they caught it as they were typing my new permit. As of then, it didn't look like Chickasaw was doing plastic permits(still paper). I've heard they had the machine but it's not set up yet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm due to renew two weeks later. Made an idiot out of myself last year, went in for a new issue with my 214, and didn't realize I still had a year to go-they caught it as they were typing my new permit. As of then, it didn't look like Chickasaw was doing plastic permits(still paper). I've heard they had the machine but it's not set up yet.
View Quote
They do plastic ones now machine was up and running few weeks ago costs $10 extra for plastic I just went in and ditched the slip of paper for a plastic one
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They do plastic ones now machine was up and running few weeks ago costs $10 extra for plastic I just went in and ditched the slip of paper for a plastic one
View Quote
Good to know, thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:36:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey guys,

So I apparently got lost in the hoopla of SBR's getting legalized and forgot what else was in the bill that became effective July 1. I'm roughly 45 days out on my carry license expiring. Did it make it into law that we no longer need retraining?

I spent an hour on google last night and could NOT find an answer. Everything was an article from 2015 and 2016. 

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Believe this is correct.

Look at lines 4 24-25 and lines and 6 8-12.

https://legiscan.com/IA/text/HF517/id/1550564
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Renewed mine recently, thought I was up on all the changes but missed one-previously it was less than 30 days before expiration is a new permit, now it's 30 days prior and up to 30 after expiration is a renewal. Saved me $25 so I was happy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks! The lady at the Sheriffs Office told me that anything before T-30days would be considered a new license subject to the $50 fee. She told me to wait until that 30 day window +/- the due date to save $25. 

I just have have to remember to do it in two weeks now. Kiddo #3 is due on the 28th, so we'll be a little busy
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top