Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2017 10:17:47 AM EDT
I'm going to be at Camp Dodge/Johnston IA for the next few days.  Any recommendations for a few good places to eat dinner within 20 mins or so?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
There are quite a few places in the area. 2 main roads heading back towards the interstate have the most.  Lots of chain restaurants in the area also.

On Merle Hay there is a good Mexican restaurant El Mariachi.

On 86th St there is a Jethro's BBQ.

Another BBQ place worth the drive (15 min) is Smoky D's just off the interstate on 2nd Ave.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Bandit burrito on merle hay just north of i80
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Tasty Tacos for good, super casual, Mexican.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been liking Cool Basil lately.  It is at the corner of 22nd and University. (Asian)
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
 Agreed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Nicks by Valleywest mall
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I try to grab a couple of their puffy flour tacos every time in the DSM area. They really are good.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the help.  What about zombie burger?
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 3:05:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I honestly think it's over rated, and it's pretty expensive for what it is.
I guess I would go once just to try it out if you haven't been before.

Skip the one in Ankeny and do the Des Moines location if you do decide to try it though.
Des Moines is better set up with more Zombie stuff i have heard. (I have only been to Des Moines location once, haven't been to Ankeny one)

We used to go to El Mariachi 2-3 times a week. Cheap and good food.

Smokey D's has good food and is crazy fast. (If you're hungry get the tenderloin, bigger than you're head)

Texas roadhouse is right down the road by the interstate. Awesome food and atmosphere.

My personal recommendation is to try Hu hot Mongolian grill in West Des Moines. It's about  10 min drive once on the interstate. (I'm addicted)
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 7:24:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, it's overrated, but how could it not be? I mean, in the end, they are really just hamburgers. It's good, though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 1:46:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Ended up hitting zombie burger, Jethro's, and Guru's.  Good food at all three.   I had a good time in your capital city and really enjoyed my trip in your state.  In fact, the only negative on my trip was driving thru Kansas City on the way up and back.  Thanks for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#12]
No Tasty Tacos? You poor bastard.

Also, if you think you're going to leave this thread without telling us what hamburger you chose at Zombie, you are mistaken, friend.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Got the planet terror and cheese fries.  Pretty good burger but the smoked rueban at Guru's was better overall.  And Guru's had sone damn good cornbread.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:37:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Right on, brother.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top