Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2017 10:55:58 PM EDT
Today I received a survey from State Senator Tony Bisignano regarding the upcoming legislative session. One of the things he asked me about is whether I think Iowa gun laws are adequate.

I want you to help me show him how we organize and advocate. I have included a link to his survey. Click it and let him know that we will work as a group against any legislator who does not support 2A initiatives. I want him to know that I am not alone. I want him to know that I will pull people from outside of his district to work against him if he doesn’t work for me, and that I will work outside of my district to help others whose legislators don’t work for them.

Here are the relevant questions:
10. Iowa gun laws are adequate.
11. If you disagree with the above statement, how should Iowa’s gun laws be changed?
12. Share your additional thoughts or suggestions for making Iowa a better place to live and work.

My answers:
10. Disagree

11. Among other things, Iowa needs to add a constitutional amendment at the state level that protects the right of its citizens to bear arms. Iowa is one of only six states without it.  Included should be protection against secondary/backdoor infringements such as taxation or other secondary registration/regulation.

12. While I believe there are other items that are more important in a practical sense, I consider gun rights to be a litmus test of whether a legislator trusts his or her constituents. As such, I am a one issue voter, regardless of where you are on anything else. I will support and physically advocate for (door knocking, etc.) legislators who support my gun rights. I will actively and aggressively work against those who do not support them. I do not consider gun rights a democrat/republican thing, although the democrats seem to have been organizing against them during the last two General Assemblies, which is why I have left my district to advocate in swing districts in the past. Democrats can be supportive of gun rights, like Gov. Culver was, and I will support them. However, I will actively work against those who attempt to curtail or restrict my second amendment rights. You should also know that I am a member of the Iowa Firearms Coalition.

Here is the link: http://interspire.iowasdc.info/surveys.php?id=38

Send it to everyone you know. Answer how you like on the other parts, but let him know where we are at on 10, 11, and12.

You don’t have to be in my district to help. I just want him to get a huge, eye opening response.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Well done! This is exactly the kind of thing we need to be doing. Your answers were SPOT ON. Bravo, Yammer, bravo.

Just for good measure, here's the ZIP code for Sen. Bisignano's district - 50315

For what it's worth here's how I answered:

10: Disagree

11. If you disagree with the above statement, how should Iowa’s gun laws be changed?
Iowa NEEDS to certify the right to keep and bear arms (without unnecessary restrictions) of all of it's citizens in the state constitution. We're one of only 6 states without the Right to Keep and Bear Arms in our state constitution. Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle routinely boast that they respect the Second Amendment, well here's a perfect opportunity for them to put their money where their mouth is -- amend the Iowa constitution to include the right to keep and bear arms.

12. Share your additional thoughts or suggestions for making Iowa a better place to live and work.
The People of Iowa are phenomenal and yet your caucus continually tries to strip away our rights with so-called "reasonable restrictions" on our Second Amendment rights. With all due respect, it's insulting. Stop attempting to punish us for the actions of deranged lunatics. Perfect example: Sen. McCoy's proposed "assault weapons" ban that was floated after the Orlando tragedy. That was the act of a single, radicalized, individual and yet Sen. McCoy thinks that I (and 3 million Iowans) should be forced to give up our right to own a perfectly legal firearm because of the actions of a self-loathing radical in Florida. This is just one example but there are many more -- magazine capacity restrictions, semi-auto bans, continuing the ban on youth shooting in Iowa -- these are all routinely pushed in the Iowa Senate. This kind of "we know better than you do" approach turns people off. In short, be humble, and let people be free to live their lives they way they want.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#2]
If IFC had a way to organize members by zip code that message could definitely be amplified.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:25:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Marti Anderson sent me one.

Link here
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Marti Anderson sent me one.

Link here
View Quote

50310. I used my own zip, mentioned above, in the interest of not coming across as deceptive, but included pro2a comments anyway.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Awesome! Thanks for sharing, the more the better.

I happen to know just the guy at IFC who can blast this out to members in those districts... great ideas guys.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Rob Hogg and a few other Cedar Rapids Dems just emailed out their own survey...

http://interspire.iowasdc.info/surveys.php?id=15

Zip code: 52402
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:05:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Loebsack

Not quite the same I know, but still. 

52501 is a good zip IIRC.

I made up an address.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top