Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Been a few days since I've checked in, but it's obvious you guys have got this well in hand.

As Septic pointed out, we have subcommittee assignment in the Senate Judiciary Committee. Zaun, Dawson and Peterson. This is very good news, Zaun and Dawson are huge advocates for this bill and 2A rights in general, so I don't foresee any major issues in the immediate future.

2A Day went really, really well -- exceeded expectations. We overfilled the largest public meeting room in the capitol, talk about a great problem to have! We're already making adjustments for next year. Hopefully we can get even more of you there, this thing just keeps getting bigger.

Hopefully you guys have taken a couple of minutes to thank those who voted for HF517. It really does make a difference.

With that said, we're in the Senate and things are looking good -- man, it feels good to say that!!

Thanks for all you guys are doing, there's a reason why good things keep happening, and it's not because we simply want it, it's because there's a lot of people working for it! Keep it up, we're on the verge of something BIG!

ETA: customary page 5 ownage comment
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Subcommittee scheduled for tomorrow, Tuesday, at 3pm in the capitol!

Anyone able to go say a few words in favor of the bill? The social justice warrior types will be there and we need to make sure our side is there to balance them out. IFC lobbyists will be there and can help prep you. Message me if you can or have any questions.

Making progress!
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Subcommittee scheduled for tomorrow, Tuesday, at 3pm in the capitol!

Anyone able to go say a few words in favor of the bill? The social justice warrior types will be there and we need to make sure our side is there to balance them out. IFC lobbyists will be there and can help prep you. Message me if you can or have any questions.

Making progress!
View Quote

What time do you want me there?

Phone number inbound.

Perhaps a few on this board will join me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:41:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What time do you want me there?

Phone number inbound.

Perhaps a few on this board will join me.
View Quote

Frick yeah!!

Just texted you. Meeting is at 3. I'd plan on being there no later than 2 as the anti's typically try to get there early a crowd people out.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:39:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Give em hell.

I'm beyond irked I can't go and share my opinions on this bill.

No pressure, we're going to win...

But we need a voice.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Damn, daughter has a doc appt at 330 so i wont be making this one either.

Keep us updated!
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Email addresses for those on the sub-committee:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

If nothing else, send them a one liner that asks them to pass HF517 out of subcommittee today.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#8]
KCCI's article on today's subcommittee meeting:

http://www.kcci.com/article/lawmakers-hear-impassioned-pleas-on-both-sides-of-gun-bill/9132791

It passed.

I also received an email from Senator Zaun that included the following:  "My plans as the judiciary chairman is to vote HF 517 out of full committee Thursday 3/16 at 11 am."
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:22:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Major pat on the back for YammerSchooner!

We're getting a committee vote on Thursday (as has been mentioned). This means we need to get after it on the emails...

IFC just launched a new ADVOCACY CAMPAIGN. You guys know what to do.

If you're the do it yourself type, here's the email addresses of the Senate Judiciary Committee. We're getting close gang!

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Starts at 11? Open to public?

I have the day off so....
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Starts at 11? Open to public?

I have the day off so....
View Quote

Feel free to join in the fun. I'm almost certain there will be no public comment though. I believe that only takes place at subcommittees.

That said, I still encourage you to go and can get you in touch with our guys that will be there. PM me if you're still interested.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Emailed Senator Shipley who's my Senator.  Every time it passses a milestone I set aside another $200 for future form 1's

His response:

Thank you for reaching out to me. It appears that I will be supportive of the bill with the changes that have been made. We will see what the final language is. Thank you for contacting me.

not as supportive as I had hoped but we will see
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Senate Switchboard Number: 515-281-3371

I called and left a message for my specific Senator (Bisignano) in addition to the email.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I am leaning towards going to either the committee hearing or the full senate debate, depending on work hours. Definitely wanting to hit at least one of them up.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Good to see it passed the full committee.  It will be nice to see the following removed from IFC's website:
Long term

Items that realistically stand little chance of passage right now because of the current make up of the Iowa legislature:
View Quote
a little further down...
Stand Your Ground
View Quote
Not celebrating yet, but feeling a little of the joy in my heart to see it this far.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#16]
So what's the straw poll of the senate?  10-2 out of committee ( did someone change a vote?  One person voted "present") is hopeful.

Another $200 into the fund.  If it passes mp5sd here we come!
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:01:59 PM EDT
[#17]
The two no votes were Boulton and Peterson.

I sent my Senator, Bisignano, a text and thanked him for his vote.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The two no votes were Boulton and Peterson.

I sent my Senator, Bisignano, a text and thanked him for his vote.
View Quote
So 3 of the 5 with a D by their name voted to send it to the floor good sign unless it's the I voted for it before I voted against it switch.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So 3 of the 5 with a D by their name voted to send it to the floor good sign unless it's the I voted for it before I voted against it switch.
View Quote
There may be some of that, however there are some pretty smart people in the senate as well that "get" it.  The suppressor bill last year passed like 46-4 or something like that.  

This was a hard assignment for Dawson and his inexperience showed, BUT, it is also extremely hard to argue with imbeciles like Petersen.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#20]
oops.  NRA email said there were two "Nay" and one who just voted "present."  I don't know who the "present" person was.  Hope it wasn't the guy I thanked.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
oops.  NRA email said there were two "Nay" and one who just voted "present."  I don't know who the "present" person was.  Hope it wasn't the guy I thanked.
View Quote
He was the one who refused to vote I believe
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I sent a polite followup text this morning saying I had sent the thanks too early but hoped he would reconsider when it hit the full Senate floor.

He wrote back that his issue was with stand your ground, but he is still considering. Thus, his "present" vote.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:05:22 PM EDT
[#23]
UPDATE:

1) We're expecting a vote on HF517 sometime next week.

2) We're getting word that some Senate Republicans are getting soft on portions of the bill and are asking around to see what the House is willing to strip out of HF517. I don't have any names, but we know it's coming from within the Senate's Republican caucus. IFC is going to be putting out an alert by the end of the day, but I wanted to give you guys a heads up. It's beyond frustrating that we have to have this conversation. We worked our tails off to put the Senate GOP in the majority and now it appears they have misplaced their spines... We need make it abundantly clear to the Senate that HF517 needs to be passed AS IS, any attempt to water it down is unacceptable.

Facebook, Twitter, other message boards, whatever you can think of - Please help spread the word.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Those effers
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:34:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Republicans stealing defeat from the jaws of victory?

Why is shit on the state and national stage so depressing? The commies get power and hit overdrive. We get power and proceed to step on our dicks and hem and haw and do barely anything. That's why this country is the way it is. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Why is shit on the state and national stage so depressing? The commies get power and hit overdrive. We get power and proceed to step on our dicks and hem and haw and do barely anything. That's why this country is the way it is. 
View Quote
Agree 100%. If Shillary or Sanders would have been elected and had a majority they'd already have an AWB, Supreme Court justice and they'd be working on a large tax increase they would pass before years end.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Republicans need a kick in the ass. The Senate wants to keep speed cameras too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh hell no.  Once again the Republicans are trying to fuck the ones that put em in power.  Not gonna go well for them.   Only giving more ammo to IGO...

Let us know who we can lambast with calls and emails about this.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Collective bargaining, speed cameras and neutered pro-gun bills, where does it stop?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Collective bargaining, speed cameras and neutered pro-gun bills, where does it stop?
View Quote
Your exactly right.  Dems already hate em so might as well piss off everyone that voted them in so they are completely f****D next election.  Simply amazing and truly sad
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Senator Guth said we have his vote for HF517 as it left committee. He's the only republican I've heard back from with my last set of emails. In my last correspondences I left off Zaun and Dix alone because I'd emailed them recently and they are pretty clearly on our side.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
UPDATE:

1) We're expecting a vote on HF517 sometime next week.

2) We're getting word that some Senate Republicans are getting soft on portions of the bill and are asking around to see what the House is willing to strip out of HF517. I don't have any names, but we know it's coming from within the Senate's Republican caucus. IFC is going to be putting out an alert by the end of the day, but I wanted to give you guys a heads up. It's beyond frustrating that we have to have this conversation. We worked our tails off to put the Senate GOP in the majority and now it appears they have misplaced their spines... We need make it abundantly clear to the Senate that HF517 needs to be passed AS IS, any attempt to water it down is unacceptable.

Facebook, Twitter, other message boards, whatever you can think of - Please help spread the word.
View Quote
I hope you will post up if you figure out who the weak spines are.  The angry Dems they are dealing with weren't going to vote for them anyway.  If they want to alienate the people who already do support them, then this is exactly how to do it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Republicans are their own worst enemy
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Waylon Brown says he's in favor of HF 517. I got an email from Guth too even though I'm not in his district.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I hope you will post up if you figure out who the weak spines are.  The angry Dems they are dealing with weren't going to vote for them anyway.  If they want to alienate the people who already do support them, then this is exactly how to do it.
View Quote
Unfortunately I can't. It's not that I don't want to, it's that I don't know exactly who it is. What I know is that there have been some in the Senate GOP's closed meetings who've been floating the idea of amending HF517 to remove or water down several parts of the bill. Capitol carry and preemption reform are the two items that seem to be bubbling up to the top. The way the preemption provision is written if a political subdivision (i.e. city, county, etc) creates a gun free zone on their property a citizen can sue them for breaking the law by claiming they have been adversely effected by the gun free zone. It also includes a "loser pays" clause, which really puts the pressure on communities. From what I'm hearing some legislators in the Senate are not a big fan of letting their citizens/subjects sue the government. My guess (pure speculation) is whomever it is has a law background...
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Jack Whitver sent the following:

We are on the verge of passing the biggest gun rights bill in the history of this state. Thank you xxxxxx and xxxxxx for sharing your thoughts and support for this bill.

Jack
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Jack Whitver sent the following:

We are on the verge of passing the biggest gun rights bill in the history of this state. Thank you xxxxxx and xxxxxx for sharing your thoughts and support for this bill.

Jack
View Quote
Just came here to post this.  Got the same email.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Unfortunately I can't. It's not that I don't want to, it's that I don't know exactly who it is. What I know is that there have been some in the Senate GOP's closed meetings who've been floating the idea of amending HF517 to remove or water down several parts of the bill. Capitol carry and preemption reform are the two items that seem to be bubbling up to the top. The way the preemption provision is written if a political subdivision (i.e. city, county, etc) creates a gun free zone on their property a citizen can sue them for breaking the law by claiming they have been adversely affected by the gun free zone. It also includes a "loser pays" clause, which really puts the pressure on communities. From what I'm hearing some legislators in the Senate are not a big fan of letting their citizens/subjects sue the government. My guess (pure speculation) is whomever it is has a law background...
View Quote
It's ultimately the tax payer that is on the hook for these supervisors not following the law if they get lawsuits. May be a better way to do it. I'm not sure. I'd like to sue the elected official personally. We will see when they debate the bill who proposes the amendments to weaken the bill and who votes for them. Eventually, it will be public.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's ultimately the tax payer that is on the hook for these supervisors not following the law if they get lawsuits. May be a better way to do it. I'm not sure. I'd like to sue the elected official personally. We will see when they debate the bill who proposes the amendments to weaken the bill and who votes for them. Eventually, it will be public.
View Quote
Yes the tax payer is on the hook for such lawsuits, but the taxpayers should've been standing up for their rights to defend themselves anywhere. I know some did, but I was the lone defender of those rights in my community when city hall wanted their stuff "safe". Even my chief was on their side. There was a business owner I know that helps with the school trap team that thought the city was fine making a no gun policy on city owned buildings.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Any word on rather the pistol caliber rifles for deer hunting will pass?

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=HF475
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:56:29 AM EDT
[#41]
If they want to ban guns in their municipality property and don't want to get sued.... then they better make darn well sure that their gun ban is effective and in force and that there is no possible way that someone can't bring in a gun or find a weapon of opportunity to hurt permit holders who left their piece in the car as required by their silly rules... simple as that.

Anyways any updates?  This thread needs a page 6 asap.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:44:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Getting a bit concerned this won't make it to the floor in the senate. Don't see or hear much movement on it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:34:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Getting a bit concerned this won't make it to the floor in the senate. Don't see or hear much movement on it.
View Quote
Earlier update said a vote "sometime" this week. It's only Wednesday. I have hope.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Everyone us tied up with trying to ban abortion.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Sounds like a possible vote on Tuesday now.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sounds like a possible vote on Tuesday now.
View Quote
That's what I'm hearing too.

Basically, despite their best intentions the Senate got bogged down this week. It's the second funnel week (HF517 cleared this funnel 2 weeks ago) and the Senate has been scrambling to get their other bills through committee votes so that they can remain viable.

The Senate will be back in the chamber next Tuesday with the funnel behind them. Last night Sen. Zaun told a crowd of 200 people at an NRA/IFC gathering that the bill will get a vote on Tuesday. Representative Windschitl has been in talks with the governor's office and has received word the Governor intends to sign the bill.

Is the pace of all this frustrating? You bet. Is it the end of world? No, not yet.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Here's the CR Gazette's "deal/alive" bills list for the second funnel, pared down to things that directly affect firearms. I'm always tempted to add in all civil rights bills, but, here's just the highly applicable stuff

ACTIVE, PASSED OR SIGNED
Relax gun restrictions/authorize “stand your ground” actions (HF517)
Allow use of straight wall cartridge rifles for deer hunting (HF475)
DEAD
Create crime for using simulated firearm or explosive (SF414)
Allow renters/hired hands to carry firearm on ATV/snowmobile (SF296)
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That's what I'm hearing too.

Basically, despite their best intentions the Senate got bogged down this week. It's the second funnel week (HF517 cleared this funnel 2 weeks ago) and the Senate has been scrambling to get their other bills through committee votes so that they can remain viable.

The Senate will be back in the chamber next Tuesday with the funnel behind them. Last night Sen. Zaun told a crowd of 200 people at an NRA/IFC gathering that the bill will get a vote on Tuesday. Representative Windschitl has been in talks with the governor's office and has received word the Governor intends to sign the bill.

Is the pace of all this frustrating? You bet. Is it the end of world? No, not yet.
View Quote
Normal part of the legislative process.  Believe it or not 2nd Amendment issues aren't a real priority for more than handful of legislators.  Education and the budget is where their attention lies and properly should be.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Normal part of the legislative process.  Believe it or not 2nd Amendment issues aren't a real priority for more than handful of legislators.  Education and the budget is where their attention lies and properly should be.
View Quote
I agree, for the most part. The budgeting process tends to consume more and more of the legislators time as the session progresses. My concern is that the longer HF517 goes unaddressed the more other issues (i.e. budget) will begin to drown this out. To steal a line from the now out of work Mike Gronstal, we could find ourselves hearing the tired old "We'll get that done next year, promise" phrase from the new majority in the Senate. Personally speaking, I've heard that enough...

With all that being said, Brad Zaun has assured us the bill is going to be run on Tuesday. And Matt Windchitl reports that during his talks with Governor Branstad, the bill will get signed whenever it lands on the gov's desk. So, hopefully, this all a moot point in a week or so.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Create crime for using simulated firearm or explosive (SF414)
View Quote
Missed this what was it all about
Page / 7
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top