Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I figured it wouldn't all make it through.  Good work to all those who worked with our legislators and got this far.  Sadly I work on tuesday and can't get it off.  Also can anyone clarify the Capitol carry for me? Would I be able to carry in the hoover building where my wife works or just the Capitol itself?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I figured it wouldn't all make it through.  Good work to all those who worked with our legislators and got this far.  Sadly I work on tuesday and can't get it off.  Also can anyone clarify the Capitol carry for me? Would I be able to carry in the hoover building where my wife works or just the Capitol itself?
View Quote

From what I've been told, capitol building only and concealed only. None of the other capitol buildings are included.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:43:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Good.  This pry won't be a popular opinion, but I like we don't have rifle hunting in most of iowa.   There is no sport at all in whacking a deer from 400 yards.  Between shotgun and muzzle loaders, there's enough options for me.   Flame away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. I meant exactly what I wrote. Too bad it is just straight wall cartridges. It limits cartridges and actually rifle types.

Good.  This pry won't be a popular opinion, but I like we don't have rifle hunting in most of iowa.   There is no sport at all in whacking a deer from 400 yards.  Between shotgun and muzzle loaders, there's enough options for me.   Flame away.

I agree. I live on a mostly wooded 40 acres. There a couple of large wooded tracts that border me. I have already had slugs hit my barn and shed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:44:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I am sure you can still use your shotgun. The rest of us will enjoy better arms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. I meant exactly what I wrote. Too bad it is just straight wall cartridges. It limits cartridges and actually rifle types.

I am sure you can still use your shotgun. The rest of us will enjoy better arms.

But sadly employ worse skills.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Small update:

Our bill has been given a new number since it is now out of committee.

HSB133 is now House File 517

Repeat: HSB133 is now HF517

We're making progress guys! Working on an Advocacy Campaign (pre-written emails) tonight, should be rolling that out within the next 24 hours. It's time to start hammering the House
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I was hoping Campus Carry would survive, but hope was all I had.  I suspect the Regent's Institutions will be the last man standing.  

I will continue to rely on my tactical letter opener.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I did not see anything about the cleanup of the ATV bill

Will we be able to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun on a ATV or in a UTV
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I did not see anything about the cleanup of the ATV bill

Will we be able to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun on a ATV or in a UTV
View Quote

There is some cleanup, but it looks like for anything other than a pistol or revolver the rules are not changed. Here is the text from HF517. (don't mind the numbers, they're line numbers from the LEGIS site).

DIVISION XII —— SNOWMOBILES AND ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLES. 14 The bill modifies the requirements for carrying a pistol or 15 revolver when operating a snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle on 16 land that is not owned or possessed by the person. In addition 17 to carrying a permit to carry weapons on the person and acting 18 within the limits of the permit, current law requires a person 19 operating or riding on a snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle, 20 with a loaded pistol or revolver, to secure the loaded pistol 21 or revolver in a retention holster, if the person is operating 22 or riding a snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle on land that is 23 not owned or possessed by the person. 24 The bill strikes the requirements that the loaded pistol or 25 revolver be secured in a retention holster and that a person 26 has in the person’s possession a valid permit to carry weapons 27 which has been issued to the person, and act within the limits 28 of that permit. Thus, the change in the bill allows a person 29 operating or riding on a snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle to 30 carry a loaded pistol or revolver without a retention holster 31 and without a permit to carry weapons as long as the person’s 32 conduct is otherwise lawful. 33 The bill does not modify the requirement, applicable to most persons, that a firearm, other than a pistol or revolver, be unloaded and enclosed in a carrying case while a person is operating or riding on a snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle on land that is not owned or possessed by the person.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Two updates

One, I'm pretty pumped about this, House leadership has been in contact with IFC and they're going to do everything they can to get HF517 (formerly known as HSB133, also known as our gun bill) to the House floor for a debate and a vote next Tuesday, March 7th.

Guess what day also happens to be March 7th? You guessed it, SECOND AMENDMENT DAY in the capitol. This means there's a very good chance we'll get to see our gun bill debated and voted on live and in person. For the House leadership to adjust their schedule in order to accommodate our event is pretty incredible. HF517 is the biggest gun bill and the biggest step forward in Second Amendment legislation in state history, and we'll get to see it moving forward in person. Maybe this makes me a nerd, but I'm pretty pumped about that. I'm genuinely looking forward to meeting with you guys Tuesday.

Item number two:
IFC Advocacy Campaign for HF517 is LIVE

The pre-written email takes only a few seconds to send, and if the House is planning to vote on our bill on Tuesday, there's no time to wait.

Here's the link, please hit it and share it around!
https://www.votervoice.net/IFC/campaigns/50431/respond
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There is some cleanup, but it looks like for anything other than a pistol or revolver the rules are not changed. Here is the text from HF517. (don't mind the numbers, they're line numbers from the LEGIS site).

DIVISION XII —— SNOWMOBILES AND ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLES. 14 The bill modifies the requirements for carrying a pistol or 15 revolver when operating a snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle on 16 land that is not owned or possessed by the person. In addition 17 to carrying a permit to carry weapons on the person and acting 18 within the limits of the permit, current law requires a person 19 operating or riding on a snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle, 20 with a loaded pistol or revolver, to secure the loaded pistol 21 or revolver in a retention holster, if the person is operating 22 or riding a snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle on land that is 23 not owned or possessed by the person. 24 The bill strikes the requirements that the loaded pistol or 25 revolver be secured in a retention holster and that a person 26 has in the person’s possession a valid permit to carry weapons 27 which has been issued to the person, and act within the limits 28 of that permit. Thus, the change in the bill allows a person 29 operating or riding on a snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle to 30 carry a loaded pistol or revolver without a retention holster 31 and without a permit to carry weapons as long as the person’s 32 conduct is otherwise lawful. 33 The bill does not modify the requirement, applicable to most persons, that a firearm, other than a pistol or revolver, be unloaded and enclosed in a carrying case while a person is operating or riding on a snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle on land that is not owned or possessed by the person.
View Quote

THANKS, I was under the understanding that you could have a loaded rifle or shotgun if you have a CCW permit (like in a vehicle)  being that was why the wanted the rentention holster wording out
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Two updates

The pre-written email takes only a few seconds to send, and if the House is planning to vote on our bill on Tuesday, there's no time to wait.

View Quote

Hey! Those look pretty good. I like how it randomly mixes up the emails.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks!

My wife and I sent Pro 2A greetings to our legislators.

I will get on the phone on Monday.

Quoted:
Two updates

One, I'm pretty pumped about this, House leadership has been in contact with IFC and they're going to do everything they can to get HF517 (formerly known as HSB133, also known as our gun bill) to the House floor for a debate and a vote next Tuesday, March 7th.

Guess what day also happens to be March 7th? You guessed it, SECOND AMENDMENT DAY in the capitol. This means there's a very good chance we'll get to see our gun bill debated and voted on live and in person. For the House leadership to adjust their schedule in order to accommodate our event is pretty incredible. HF517 is the biggest gun bill and the biggest step forward in Second Amendment legislation in state history, and we'll get to see it moving forward in person. Maybe this makes me a nerd, but I'm pretty pumped about that. I'm genuinely looking forward to meeting with you guys Tuesday.

Item number two:
IFC Advocacy Campaign for HF517 is LIVE

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:53:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I haven't seen it mentioned, did the lifetime carry license make it through, or did that get axed?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I haven't seen it mentioned, did the lifetime carry license make it through, or did that get axed?
View Quote

No it didn't make it.  There were some issues with it, had to be taken out.  Next year we'll get a rock solid bill.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No it didn't make it.  There were some issues with it, had to be taken out.  Next year we'll get a rock solid bill.
View Quote

I don't think we have a problem with the bill as is. I think you will struggle to look back at history and find an instance where an agenda was able to swoop in and knock down all the pins in one shot.

I'm hoping we can clear the bill as it is and maybe get one or two more pro-gun amendments on the way. Rome wasn't built in a day.

We are making gains as Iowans year after year.We've also brought up these bills and are now giving them time to sink and normalize with our legislators.

Don't lose sight of that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah I'm digging the bill as it stands right now.  I just meant there were issues with the permitless carry, and that will be a solid bill next year.   Off to send some emails now.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:57:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah I'm digging the bill as it stands right now.  I just meant there were issues with the permitless carry, and that will be a solid bill next year.   Off to send some emails now.
View Quote
I didn't realize lifetime permits were tied with constitutional carry, that clears that up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pumped! I grew up in Illinois, so the things Iowa is doing are fantastic!
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#18]
If anyone has an idea when the debate will start I would like a heads up so I can live stream.  Unfortunately I won't make it this year so go get 'er done guys!  My rep assured me (Holz) he is in support of HF517.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If anyone has an idea when the debate will start I would like a heads up so I can live stream.  Unfortunately I won't make it this year so go get 'er done guys!  My rep assured me (Holz) he is in support of HF517.
View Quote

The amendments are being read now. One being 20 hours of training for permits.

House Stream
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#20]
If anyone can keeps us updated on what, if any, amendments pass that'd be great
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If anyone can keeps us updated on what, if any, amendments pass that'd be great
View Quote

There was one amendment from Windschitl at the beginning that I didn't catch.

A minor amendment to change verbiage regarding children so that there is "a physical presence near the supervised person conducive to hands-on instruction, and who maintains visual and verbal" contact DID pass.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow rep Mascher...I am sure she would have been very happy to "limit" our 2nd amendment rights...what a hipocrit she is and do not even get me started on Wolfe.

Windschitl is doing a great job
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#23]
D-Staed says political action and a strong police force is the answer not owning arms.  Guns kill more owners than bad guys. Also reading from a script.  2nd nor any right is absolute.

He obviously hasn't practiced his script he has to pause to catch his place.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#24]
R-Lundgren in favor, good guys shouldn't have retreat.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#25]
D-smith opposed to provision 10 stand your ground.  Not reasonable.  Not all Iowans are treated equally he was called racial slurs as a high school football player. He is afraid he will be considered a threat due to the color of his skin.  Racial disparity in stand your ground.

References cross burning in Debuque.  Now putting on a hoodie transforming him into a criminal.  References hands up don't shoot
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#26]
D-wessel -kroeschell.  Dad gave away all his guns when 1st child was born.  Liked smiths putting on hoodie.  Stand your ground is a law looking for a problem.

ADA says stand your ground isn't necessary.  Imperical study says repeal of stand your ground decreases murder.  Stand your ground is racist.  Eliminate civil protections.

Apparently she is going to talk a while, repeating the same things.  Reiterates no guns in her home.  Remembers drunk college students wandering into her childhood homes.  Very gentle father helped them find their ways home instead of shooting them
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
D-wessel -kroeschell.  Dad gave away all his guns when 1st child was born.  Liked smiths putting on hoodie.  Stand your ground is a law looking for a problem.

ADA says stand your ground isn't necessary.  Imperical study says repeal of stand your ground decreases murder.  Stand your ground is racist.  Eliminate civil protections.
View Quote

I live in her district, along with Squirmin' Herman.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#28]
D-Forbes opposes says he has twice been a victim of gun crime as a pharmacist.  1st time guy was wanted for murder in California and he thought he was going to die.  Got tied up and said if moves he will be killed.

Afraid people in their 80s while mentally ok may not be steady or capable of safely handling a weapon.

At least he didn't read a script
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#29]
D-Abdul-samad stand your ground increases violence against minority's and violence against women.  Doesn't want to be in a meeting with a mad person with a gun.

He helped a woman with eggs checking out at the store and she started shaking when she turned and saw him and said you are one of them.   Asks What if she had a gun?

Now going on about racial disparity including with police.  Many minority's in prison because of our fears.

Questions windschitl about did he consider studies when proposing.  wants windschitl to educate people about people like him?

Windschitl says stand your ground isn't about racial divide.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#30]
D-gaskill opposed because local preemption amendment killed and training amendment of 20 hours of training not too much to ask.  Liked the parental amendment.

So she can't support.

Mashed up next and I can't listen to her....
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#31]
D-Wolfe.  Likes some provisions that were debated in the past and supports some but can't support it's too broad.  Seems to oppose stand your ground provision and blames unnamed organizations of spreading false info. Offended that people think she doesn't support self defense.

Provision 10 seems to be the issue for most so far...
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for doing the play by plays guys. I'm not able to do the live feed thing. Sick of the racial card being played. The racial card is exactly why we need Constitutional Carry if they're so worried about it. If "the man" is really keeping minorities down, then removing red tape and hoops for minorities to be able to protect themselves should be a good thing. But there I go, using logic again. How can you argue against people that have no interest in facts and will push "guns bad" no matter what reasoning is thrown in their face?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#33]
D-Thede telling story of one of her volunteers that was run off a property. What if stand your ground was in effect, what could have happened.  Citing bible,  do not kill, how does she reconcile it?  Editors note, what is her stand on abortion?

I digress....
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#34]
D- Bennett citing the Florida theater shooting and something about arming kindergarteners.  Also cited bar association study.  Must have the same lobbyists.  

Stand your ground allows criminals to kill.   Now citing BLM.  Cites Travon Martin case as why she wont support
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#35]
R wheeler supports.  Not all he wants but a step in right direction.  Cites laws don't stop criminals.  Gives example of 77 year old legislator having to retreat from him as a 24 year old.

R-Holt supports.  Says gun free areas are false protections.  Quotes Washington that .gov shouldn't be denying someone their rights,  because someone might abuse it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Thats it for me... hope it passes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Thats it for me... hope it passes.
View Quote

Thank you for the updates man!!  Appreciate it!
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#38]
I have been watching since about 230 I liked just a little bit ago the one representative from Polk had a little tantrum and threw his arms in the air and threw himself down back into his chair
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#39]
I loved how Windschitl called out Aaron in his closing remarks

Passed

58-39-3
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#40]
YES!!!!

Brad
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I loved how Windschitl called out Aaron in his closing remarks

Passed

58-39-3
View Quote

Windschitl has done it every time a gun bill has passed. Sadly peopl still listen to Dorr.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Any idea when the senate will hear the bill?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Good job guys! Keep the momentum going.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have been watching since about 230 I liked just a little bit ago the one representative from Polk had a little tantrum and threw his arms in the air and threw himself down back into his chair
View Quote

Hunter? I hope so.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Couple thoughts...

Second Amendment day was a success. Will go again.

Please contact your representative and thank them for their vote and let them know you appreciate them. If you are represented by a freedom hater, then send one to Winschidtl or the others thanking them.

Brad Zaun commented that the Senate has received tons of emails on the gun bill, almost entirely negative so get ready to contact your senator soon.

Keep the support for the IFC, those guys did great work.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Emailed my rep and windschitl thanking them both and also my Senator telling him I want him to get it to the floor and vote yes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

it may be taken up this week.  we'd like to encourage that.  they've already designated a subcommittee...  
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

it may be taken up this week.  we'd like to encourage that.  they've already designated a subcommittee...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank You for the update!
Page / 7
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top