BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I plan to contact Samad and let him know some facts as well as ask him what he's done to stop "street violence" as he calls it in Des Moines.

I will also contact Nunn to give my opinion and support.
View Quote

Just a heads up for you, one of his sons was killed in "street violence" in 1997 (his son was a gang member if I remember correctly). Samad has set up a non-profit and done a few other things outside of the legislature on this issue. I'm not trying to dissuade you from educating him on Second Amendment issues... just don't want you to unknowingly walk into a trap.

ETA: Creative Visions is the name of his non-profit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Just a heads up for you, one of his sons was killed in "street violence" in 1997 (his son was a gang member if I remember correctly). Samad has set up a non-profit and done a few other things outside of the legislature on this issue. I'm not trying to dissuade you from educating him on Second Amendment issues... just don't want you to unknowingly walk into a trap.

View Quote

I'm well researched and aware of his son and creative visions. He protests with BLM  and at the same time wants police to protect the very people who are berating them. He has worked for his community trying in some aspects to make things better.

The "street violence" comment would be a back up if he got to pushy. I'm not going into a conversation with him to be a dick head the whole time because that makes the whole gun community look like shit.

It just pissed me off when I read the email from the NRA about it. He wants to go after law abiding gun owners when he has bigger problems in his own community.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm well researched and aware of his son and creative visions. He protests with BLM  and at the same time wants police to protect the very people who are berating them. He has worked for his community trying in some aspects to make things better.

The "street violence" comment would be a back up if he got to pushy. I'm not going into a conversation with him to be a dick head the whole time because that makes the whole gun community look like shit.

It just pissed me off when I read the email from the NRA about it. He wants to go after law abiding gun owners when he has bigger problems in his own community.
View Quote

You're absolutely spot on. Go get 'em.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#4]
As promised.

Dates, Times, Locations for All 2017 Legislative Forums IFC’s Guide to Talking About Pro-Second Amendment Bills (with Talking Points) for the Weekend of 2/4/17

General tips:
Be respectful
Keep your comments short and to the point (60 seconds or less)
Be very specific about what you want your lawmaker to do
“I’d like you to vote Yes on bill number XYZ because…”
“Please vote No on file ABC because…”
Be polite but persistent. If a politician doesn’t give you a direct answer, don’t be afraid to respectfully repeat the question and ask them for a straight answer
“Sir/Ma’am, I’d appreciate it if you’d give me a direct answer. Will you vote Yes or No on this bill?”
Bring a friend. There’s strength in numbers.
If you can, try to record your exchange. A recording is a great way hold lawmakers accountable for their promises
Repeat step one!

Pro-Second Amendment Bills:
SJR2 - Constitutional RKBA Amendment
Sponsors: Senators: ZAUN, ANDERSON, BEHN, BERTRAND, BREITBACH, BROWN, CHAPMAN, CHELGREN, COSTELLO, DAWSON, DIX, EDLER, FEENSTRA, GARRETT, GREENE, GUTH, C. JOHNSON, KAPUCIAN, KRAAYENBRINK, LOFGREN, ROZENBOOM, SCHNEIDER, SCHULTZ, SEGEBART, SHIPLEY, SINCLAIR, SMITH, WHITVER, and ZUMBACH
SJR2 inserts a modern version of the Second Amendment into the Iowa Constitution
Iowa is one of only six states in the country whose citizens right to keep and bear arms (RKBA) is not guaranteed in its state constitution.
SJR2’s language would make it crystal clear (in modern language) that Iowans RKBA shall not be limited, taxed, licensed or infringed upon in anyway.
Everyone says they support the Second Amendment, amending the state constitution to include the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is the very best way to prove you actually support the Second Amendment.

HF147 - Permit-less Carry
Sponsors: Representatives: SALMON,WHEELER,HAGER,SHEETS, and HOLT
This bill removes the requirement that a person carry a valid Permit to Carry.
What other constitutionally guaranteed right do I need a permit for? My right to free speech? No. My right to be free illegal search and seizure? No. My right to worship? No.
I can exercise all of my other constitutionally protected freedoms without having to ask the state for permission EXCEPT my right to keep and bear arms.

HF162 - Parking Lot Bill
Sponsor: Representative Fisher
Prohibits employers from banning their staff from storing firearms in their vehicle while parked at their place of employment
By law vehicles are considered an extension of personal property (the same as your home), thus employees should be able to store their firearms in their car while at work.
Employer bans on carrying at work should stop when an employee enters his/her personal property (i.e. vehicle)
Current bans on guns in vehicles effectively block many Iowa residents from exercising their law right to carry and places outside of work.
If I’m running errands before work, but I’m banned from leaving my carry gun in my car at work, I can’t realistically carry while out running errands because where would I leave my gun when I get to work? This basically forces me to be unprotected and unable to defend myself or my loved ones while out in public.

SF25 - Stand Your Ground
Sponsor: Senator Chelgren
Under Iowa’s current law if someone is attacked they have a “duty to retreat,” meaning they have to try to run away
SF25 would remove that duty to retreat.
This is not about “shoot first” it’s about giving people the legal option to defend themselves and their loved ones should they be attacked and victimized
Under current law if I’m attacked and use justifiable force to defend myself or my loved ones I could still be indicted and tried for the crime of failing to retreat because a prosecutor alleges that I should have run away. Of course, that prosecutor was not present at the time of the attack and is certainly not able to properly evaluate the near instantaneous decision I had to make under the surprise, shock and fear of being attacked.
This is Monday morning quarterbacking and victim blaming of the worst kind.

SF108 - Repealing Iowa’s Offensive Weapons List (Repealing NFA Ban)
Sponsor: Senator Schultz
Removes Iowa’s ban on: Short Barreled Rifles (SBRs), Short Barreled Shotguns (SBSs), and machine guns
Iowans wanting to purchase these items would still be subject to federal gun laws (National Firearms Act, aka NFA) which require additional FBI background checks, waiting periods and tax stamps
Current items like SBRs and SBSs are subject to arbitrary barrel length restrictions. Why is a 16 inch barrel more deadly than a 14.5 inch barrel?
Brings Iowa in-line with a majority of other states whose citizens are free to own these items.
These items would be treated just like suppressors (which were legalized in Iowa in 2016). The same restrictions apply to these items apply.

SF146 - School Parking Lot Carry
Sponsor: Senator Chapman
Allows Iowans to carry while in their vehicle and in a school parking lot.
Current law says you’re committing a felony if you happen to be carrying while dropping your kids off at school
This would allow parents like me to not have to risk felony charges while simply performing their parental duties like dropping our kids off at school.

SF147 - Permit Privacy
Sponsor: Senator Chapman
Blocks Iowa sheriff’s departments and the Iowa Department Public Safety from releasing any personal information about individual Permit to Carry holders -- i.e. name/social security number/date of birth/driver’s license number/etc.
Still allows the release of statistical information - e.g. Iowa saw a 15% increase in Permit to Carry holders in 2017 --OR-- Johnson County had 5,000 new Permit to Carry licenses issued in 2017.
This keeps the media from publishing the personal information of law-abiding Permit to Carry holders. This has happened before in Polk and Dubuque Counties when every permit holder there had their names and addresses published for no legitimate reason.

Anti-Second Amendment Bills:
HF70 - Ban on magazines over 10 rounds
Sponsor: Representatives: HUNTER, LENSING, OLDSON, STAED, BENNETT, and MASCHER
History shows that many self-defense shootings involve more than 10 rounds
How do you, or anyone for that matter, know how many rounds will be needed if/when I’m attacked?
Why would you want to limit my ability to defend myself from a potential murderer or rapist?
HF73 - Universal Background Checks (UBCs)
Sponsors: Representatives: HUNTER, KEARNS, LENSING, OLDSON, STAED, BENNETT, and MASCHER
Punishes all law-abiding citizens for the actions of deranged individuals (mass shooters)
UBCs do not stop mass shooters. Here’s a list of mass shootings where the murderer passed a background check:
Pulse Night Club in Orlando - 2016
Charleston Church - 2015
Washington Naval Yard - 2013
Aurora movie theatre - 2012
Gabby Giffords shooting in Arizona - 2010
Fort Hood - 2009
Virginia Tech - 2007

HF145 - Universal Background Checks (UBCs)
Sponsor: Representative Abdul-Samad
See response to HF73

HF157 - Assault Weapons Ban
Sponsor: Representative Abdul-Samad
“Assault-weapons” are used in less than 2% of all crimes
The number of “assault weapons” used in crime is so-low the FBI doesn’t even track the number of “assault weapons” used in crimes. They group them in with all rifles - bolt action, lever action, single shot, etc. (which combined is still just 2% of all crimes committed with a firearm)
A U.S. Department of Justice study conducted on the 1994-2004 federal assault weapons ban concluded: "We cannot clearly credit the ban with any of the nation's recent drop in gun violence"
Millions of “assault weapons” owned by perfectly peaceful, law-abiding Iowans
Banning them would do nothing to lower Iowa’s crime rate.

Glossary:
Bill - Proposed legislation under consideration by the legislature
Funnel - Deadlines for bills be voted on. If a bill hasn’t reached a specific point by the funnel date, it’s dead for the rest of the session.
HF - House File
RKBA - Right to Keep and Bear Arms
SBRs - Short Barrel Rifle
SBSs - Short Barrel Shotgun
SF - Senate File
SJR - Senate Joint Resolution
UBC - Universal Background Checks
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Frick yeah!! Post a link as soon as you see it.
View Quote

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/opinion/guest-columnists/protect-our-gun-rights-20170205

They watered it down a hair, but it works.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Great job!
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/opinion/guest-columnists/protect-our-gun-rights-20170205

They watered it down a hair, but it works.
View Quote

You CRUSHED it! And they ran it in the Sunday edition? Even better yet. You just raised the bar IowaUSN!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You CRUSHED it! And they ran it in the Sunday edition? Even better yet. You just raised the bar IowaUSN!!
View Quote

Thanks fellas! Just doing my part. I wish I were in Des Moines where I could do more.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heck, he can't even prevent HIS OWN LEGISLATIVE STAFF from committing terrorism. Literally. His own staff sent a false-flag anthrax attack to the statehouse a couple years back, and one of them is now in prison for it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Sen. McCoy is going to do a Facebook Live video tonight at 6. He's got a post asking for what questions he should answer. There are no Second Amendment related questions so I submitted one about SJR2 the constitutional amendment.

"You've said you support the 2nd Amendment, will you vote YES on SJR2 and enshrine Iowan's right to keep and bear arms in the Iowa Constitution?"
Sen. McCoy's poll on what questions to answer

It needs votes! If you're a Facebook user go check the box on the question above and if you can tune in tonight at 6.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:45:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't facebook, but wouldn't a better way to phrase it be to ask him if he will vote yes on SJR2 that will eventually allow Iowans to vote on whether or not to enshrine Iowans' right to keep and bear arms in the Iowa Constitution?

I figure he looks weaker if it is shown as him not wanting Iowans to have a choice at the polls.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't facebook, but wouldn't a better way to phrase it be to ask him if he will vote yes on SJR2 that will eventually allow Iowans to vote on whether or not to enshrine Iowans' right to keep and bear arms in the Iowa Constitution?

I figure he looks weaker if it is shown as him not wanting Iowans to have a choice at the polls.
View Quote

Hadn't really thought about it from that angle, but you're right. Hope you don't mind, I'm going to "borrow" that for future communications.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I doubt the majority of the people that allow McCoy on their feed prioritize guns rights and freedom. I'm concerned about education shortfalls and the planned parenthood hoopla drowning us out this session.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I emailed him directly and actually got a reply that sounds like it's from him.  pasted below:

Representative Abdul-Samad,

I'm writing you to express my opposition to your two bills House File 145 & 157.  These bills do not represent my views as a responsible gun owner and Iowan.  Respectfully sir, these bills are not the way we reduce crime and make people safer.  These bills would only create criminals where no real criminal activity existed, meanwhile having zero effect on those folks actually committing crime.  I'd urge you to read the stories of people caught up in just this type of pointless administrative law.  People like Shaneen Allen, and Brian Aitken for example, below are some links to their stories.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2014/07/22/shaneen-allen-race-and-gun-control/?utm_term=.c9f372f018d9

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/my-life-as-a-convicted-gun-offender-who-did-nothing-wrong

Thank you for your time,
MacManus

his reply

Good Morning,

My bills are not an infringement on the 2nd Amendment Right.  My focus is that we have young people being sold weapons from individuals which is helping to promote “Street Violence”. With that focus we are hoping that not only will this deter individuals from selling to minors but will also enhance the penalty from doing so.

I appreciate your email and have no problem continuing this dialogue because the last thing I want to see happen is an infringement on anyone’s rights.

Thank you

my reply back

Representative Abdul-Samad,

First, I'd like to sincerely thank you for your reply.  At a time when people most feel like their government isn't listening to them, you did; and that's appreciated whether we agree with each other or not.

Second, frankly I'm not a constitutional lawyer, so I'm not forming my oppinion on these bills from that perspective.  I'm totally unqualified to comment on their constitutionality, that's for the courts to figure out, in my opinion.  My opinion of these bills is based strictly on a matter of efficacy.  And, with all due respect, I do not believe they will achieve efficacy.  This opinion is formed from many factors, chiefly of which being the failures of similar measures we've seen before in other states or at the federal level, to achieve any results.  

The problem you wish to address is a devastating one, I agree.  Particularly devastating to communities and neighborhoods where people tend to be poorer, or from non-white ethnic backgrounds.  But the problem with the approach in House File 145 & 157 is that the issue you're trying to correct with more laws, is already illegal, and your proposed laws to remedy the situation are mostly irrelevant to your stated objective.  

With regard to relevance, so called "assault weapons" are less than seldom used in crimes in Iowa.  According to the FBI Uniform Crime Report there was only one death from a rifle in Iowa in 2014 for example - and that doesn't even specify what type of rifle, it may have been a hunting rifle for all we know.  

With regard to efficacy, according to the BATFE the majority of guns used in crimes are aquired through straw purchases or thefts, not legitimate retail or private face-to-face sales.  Presumably your aim is to add the background check to the private face-to-face transfer which would occur between the non-prohibited person (straw purchaser) to the prohibited person.  But, if they already broke the law by soliciting a straw purchaser or agreeing to purchase a gun for someone else, what reason would we have to think they'd now choose to comply with the law and do the background check?

I think your bills are very well intentioned, but I believe they are based on a seriously flawed premise.  A premise similar to that of the "war on drugs" for instance.  The war on drugs has succeeded only in putting an entire generation of young black men in jail, and creating a very lucritive black market in drug trade, with all of its associated crime and violence.  But that's a topic for another discussion.

I'd like to humbly thank you again for taking the time to listen to my concerns.  I understand that you have many reasons for pursuing this particular legislation, and that I'm unlikely to sway your opinion; but thank you for listening anyway.  As a socially and politically active Iowan and responsible gun owner, I want you to know I will oppose these bills whenever I have the opportunity, not because the problem is unimportant, but because it is so important it deserves something that could actually improve it.  I too am open to further dialogue, if you were so inclined.

Thank you,
MacManus

I went out of my way to me respectful, hoping that would compel him to not just disregard my comments outright

EDIT: I too am aware of his history, that's why I tried to hit him where he lives with a little bit of subtle shaming
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#15]
ill never understand the logic, but I think you are trying to bleed a turnip. He should impose background checks on illegal drug sales too...
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
ill never understand the logic, but I think you are trying to bleed a turnip. He should impose background checks on illegal drug sales too...
View Quote

precisely the similarity I was trying to illustrate
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Update: Representative Abdul-Samad replied to my last email

I appreciate the dialogue sometimes its better to proactive then reactive.   I am trying to enhance the penalty.

Thank you again
View Quote

Pretty interesting that now he says he just wants to enhance the penalty.  So full of shit he can't just admit that he disagrees with me, he has to change his tune entirely.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:50:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Ako, formerly known as Steve Green, allegedly was once a high ranking member of what could be called a crime syndicate in Des Moines. He promoted violence in his younger days and was purportedly a suspect in the still unsolved bombing of the 1970 Des Moines police station. Dynamite was set on or near the train tracks behind the building which caused significant damage. For years, his group ran amok in the inner city shooting at cop cars and damaging property. He has undoubtedly attributed to his neighborhood's demise and lack of productivity. It would serve him no purpose to actually help the people in his community because it would silence him indefinitely. Creative Visions has been and will always be a sham. Sadly, his community sees him as a savior despite no one has benefited other than Ako. I bet you dollars to donuts if a search warrant was executed on his little hideout, there would be a cache of ill-gotten weapons coming out of that place.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Update: Representative Abdul-Samad replied to my last email

Pretty interesting that now he says he just wants to enhance the penalty.  So full of shit he can't just admit that he disagrees with me, he has to change his tune entirely.
View Quote

I agree.

I noticed in his reply to your first email that he mentions nothing about 10 round limits and "Assault Weapons" ban. Just that he thinks that people sell guns to these thugs while turning the other cheek. He just side steps the question and gives a stereotypical politician response.

His voice mail says he tries to get back to you within 48 hours. I haven't received a call back and I wasn't a dick on his voice mail.

ETA: You're emails were very professional and we'll written. Good job.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:02:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Really nervous about getting drowned out with the union thing and the pp thing. Both seem to be disastrous for trying to hold onto the majority next cycle and accomplishing second amendment reforms.

These guys are doing awful at keeping the appeal with the new majority. Second amendment day could be full of angry union members. Trying to stay optimistic, but just irked at how this is unfolding.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Really nervous about getting drowned out with the union thing and the pp thing. Both seem to be disastrous for trying to hold onto the majority next cycle and accomplishing second amendment reforms.

These guys are doing awful at keeping the appeal with the new majority. Second amendment day could be full of angry union members. Trying to stay optimistic, but just irked at how this is unfolding.
View Quote

Agreed.  I'm struggling to discern any kind of strategy here.  Other than "find foot, point gun at foot, pull trigger", but that's not really a strategy
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agree!
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#23]
They need to let the collective bargaining and pp debates die.  If those issues pass,  we lose in the next election.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They need to let the collective bargaining and pp debates die.  If those issues pass,  we lose in the next election.
View Quote

I've got similar concerns, and to a certain extent I agree. Regardless of the outcomes of those issues this underscores how we can't take 2018 for granted, we have to get everything we can while the odds are in our favor.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:14:31 AM EDT
[#25]
IGO goes full DERP

I know you guys are more plugged in than most in this state and have a good understanding of IGO and their shenanigans... but they really stepped in it today and attacked Senator Zaun.

For those of you who don't know Zaun is the chair of the Senate Judiciary and solid, SOLID supporter of gun rights (I'd put him right up there with Rep. Matt Windschitl). The fact that people continue to believe their crap truly leaves me scratching my head some times.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#26]
There has never been a time at which IGO and the  Dorr Family  were not "full derp" scammers. Never.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, his latest attack on Zaun was way off base! I contacted Zaun about the allegations and he responded quickly and clarified his position and explained why he scratched his name from the cosponsor list.

I sent Dorr an Email calling him out on his miss information and false allegations.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#28]
And boom, looks like "the big one" just hit:

BIG omnibus bill submitted
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just got done skimming through.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just skimmed it as well, and I know for a fact that Brad Zaun is behind this one all the way! It looks like a real Winner!  
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Interesting,  sbr and sbs ok but no aow or fun switches.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Interesting,  sbr and sbs ok but no aow or fun switches.
View Quote

I get fun switch in the name of freedom. But, it doesn't do much for me personally, given that probably the least  expensive, transferable full-auto is around $4k. I'd rather spend the money on cans and sbr's.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

HSB133 has been assigned to Representatives Matt Windschitl, Greg Heartsil and Mary Wolfe. Expect a subcommittee hearing on HSB133 before this week is over.

Summary of What’s in HSB133:

Legalizes SBRs and SBSs
These items would be treated like suppressors currently are (must meet federal NFA requirements)

Fixes current “Armed with Intent” language
Just because you’re armed doesn’t mean you have any intentions of harming anyone
Under current law if you charged with a crime while carrying prosecutors can add an additional “Going Armed with Intent” charge even if your alleged crime has nothing to do with the you being armed

Lifetime Permits
Uniform permits statewide (eliminating county by county permit variations)

Removes the current Permit to Acquire requirement
Brings Iowa in line with federal gun purchasing laws
No permit required, you just need to pass a NICS check

Repeals the current ban on supervised youth handgun shooting
Kids can shoot and learn proper gun safety under the supervision of a parent, or instructor

Permit Privacy
Prohibits the public release of any personal information of anyone who holds a Permit to Carry

Preemption Cleanup (724.28 re-write)
Prohibits any political subdivision (city, county, municipality, regents institution, etc) from creating gun free zones that violate state preemption law
Establishes “loser pays” so that if someone sues over the creation of a gun free zone the loser of that lawsuit must pay the winner’s court costs

Establishes Emergency Powers restrictions
Prohibits the confiscation firearms during a declared state of emergency (i.e. Hurricane Katrina gun confiscations)

Legalizes Stand Your Ground
Removes the “duty to retreat” from law-abiding citizens who find themselves in a self-defense situation
Establishes that as long as you have a reasonable basis for the belief that you are in danger you may defend yourself or those around

Increases penalties for Straw Purchasers
Anyone caught straw purchasing would be charged with a Class D felony

ATV Carry cleanup
Removes the requirement of a so-called “retention holster” while operating an ATV or snowmobile
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

HSB133 has been assigned to Representatives Matt Windschitl, Greg Heartsil and Mary Wolfe. Expect a subcommittee hearing on HSB133 before this week is over.

Summary of What’s in HSB133:

Legalizes SBRs and SBSs
These items would be treated like suppressors currently are (must meet federal NFA requirements)

Fixes current “Armed with Intent” language
Just because you’re armed doesn’t mean you have any intentions of harming anyone
Under current law if you charged with a crime while carrying prosecutors can add an additional “Going Armed with Intent” charge even if your alleged crime has nothing to do with the you being armed

Lifetime Permits
Uniform permits statewide (eliminating county by county permit variations)

Removes the current Permit to Acquire requirement
Brings Iowa in line with federal gun purchasing laws
No permit required, you just need to pass a NICS check

Repeals the current ban on supervised youth handgun shooting
Kids can shoot and learn proper gun safety under the supervision of a parent, or instructor

Permit Privacy
Prohibits the public release of any personal information of anyone who holds a Permit to Carry

Preemption Cleanup (724.28 re-write)
Prohibits any political subdivision (city, county, municipality, regents institution, etc) from creating gun free zones that violate state preemption law
Establishes “loser pays” so that if someone sues over the creation of a gun free zone the loser of that lawsuit must pay the winner’s court costs

Establishes Emergency Powers restrictions
Prohibits the confiscation firearms during a declared state of emergency (i.e. Hurricane Katrina gun confiscations)

Legalizes Stand Your Ground
Removes the “duty to retreat” from law-abiding citizens who find themselves in a self-defense situation
Establishes that as long as you have a reasonable basis for the belief that you are in danger you may defend yourself or those around

Increases penalties for Straw Purchasers
Anyone caught straw purchasing would be charged with a Class D felony

ATV Carry cleanup
Removes the requirement of a so-called “retention holster” while operating an ATV or snowmobile
View Quote
Gotta like this!    Hopefully it'll go thru w/no problems but we all know there will be those fighting this tooth and nail.  I've sent my representatives email asking them to support this bill.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#36]
That is an amazing lineup!

Did castle doctrine get forgotten, or are they expecting stand your ground to essentially take care of it?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:22:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That is an amazing lineup!

Did castle doctrine get forgotten, or are they expecting stand your ground to essentially take care of it?
View Quote

Should take care of that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I get fun switch in the name of freedom. But, it doesn't do much for me personally, given that probably the least  expensive, transferable full-auto is around $4k. I'd rather spend the money on cans and sbr's.
View Quote

I believe RDIAS would be a viable option that is much more affordable.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#39]
So is it too soon to buy my SBR and start the tax stamp process? I mean, it kind of sucked last year when I got the green light and then had to wait until November.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#40]
If we are going for broke, again, might as well just strike the whole offensive weapons section and bring iowa law in line 100% with Federal law as far as nfa goes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
$15,000-$20,000 for 2oz. of steel is affordable?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:54:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Got my email off to the subcommittee members for HSB 133!

I forget, does it still have to be heard by a bigger committee after that or if it passes this committee of three does it move on to be scheduled onto the floor?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:10:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Got my email off to the subcommittee members for HSB 133!

I forget, does it still have to be heard by a bigger committee after that or if it passes this committee of three does it move on to be scheduled onto the floor?
View Quote

Yeah, this is just a subcommittee, then on to committee, then the floor.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:23:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been quite a few years since I have really seen anything on them. Don't remember them being that pricey.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:18:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Been quite a few years since I have really seen anything on them. Don't remember them being that pricey.
View Quote
I was mystified myself!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted: I mean, it kind of sucked last year when I got the green light and then had to wait until November.
View Quote

I'm still waiting on three I purchased shortly after the bill was signed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Been busy the last couple of days, sorry I haven't checked in recently.

Regardless you guys have a pretty solid handle on everything.

The big news tonight is the HSB133 will have a House Judiciary Subcommittee Hearing tomorrow (2/23) at noon.

Spoiler alert, it'll pass.

Subcomittee is Windchitl, Greg Heartsill and Mary Wolfe. Matt is the man on this issue and Heartsill is no slouch either (he sponsored and floor managed last year's Emergency Protection Act). Wolfe, a Dem,  will likely vote no, but I know for a fact there are certain provisions she likes. It's just that with everything rolled together she'll likely vote no.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:08:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Been busy the last couple of days, sorry I haven't checked in recently.

Regardless you guys have a pretty solid handle on everything.

The big news tonight is the HSB133 will have a House Judiciary Subcommittee Hearing tomorrow (2/23) at noon.

Spoiler alert, it'll pass.

Subcomittee is Windchitl, Greg Heartsill and Mary Wolfe. Matt is the man on this issue and Heartsill is no slouch either (he sponsored and floor managed last year's Emergency Protection Act). Wolfe, a Dem,  will likely vote no, but I know for a fact there are certain provisions she likes. It's just that with everything rolled together she'll likely vote no.
View Quote

https://representativemarywolfe.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/justification-presentation.pdf

She's going to argue we already have strong SYG.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#49]
PASSED 2-1 out of committee with no amendments.

LOTS of opposition there. HSB133 was called a racist, "idiot bill" that encourages vigilante-ism. This is going to get ugly.

Our side that spoke out in favor did a good job of being professional and respectful.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Time to send some emails

HSB133 ADVANCES 2-1
Next step: House Judiciary Committee

House Study Bill 133 just advanced through its subcommittee hearing on a 2-1 vote with representatives Matt Windschitl and Greg Heartsill voting Yea and Representative Mary Wolfe voting Nay.

HSB133 now heads to the House Judiciary Committee. The bill will have to pass out of the House Judiciary by March 3rd in order to avoid being killed by the first legislative funnel of the year. We've listed the email addresses of members of the House Judiciary Committee below. Please contact them and respectfully encourage them to advance HSB133 to a vote in the full House of Representatives.

Finally, don't forget, we've got Second Amendment Day in the capitol coming up on March 7th. If all goes well HSB133 will be eligible for a vote in the House at that point and you can tell your elected officials face-to-face you want to see this bill signed into law.

House Judiciary Committee
[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
Page / 7
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top