Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 1/6/2017 1:44:52 PM EDT
I'm pumped. You guys ready to make some history?

Or am I the odd man out and the only one who actually enjoys this stuff?
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Basically two directions this will go, preferably it goes towards more Liberty... Time will tell, I hope I voted for the correct representatives...
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 2:12:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't expect much for the first 2-3 weeks.  The $100 million cut they are trying to figure out for the current fiscal is a serious problem.  There are conference calls daily amongst the caucuses and various committees and even with majorities in both houses there is no agreement yet on how to proceed with targeted cuts vs across the board cuts.  This will dominate the first part of the session.

However once this speed bump is passed, I expect the 2nd A issues to do very well this year.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I am very optimistic.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Basically two directions this will go, preferably it goes towards more Liberty... Time will tell, I hope I voted for the correct representatives...
View Quote

I hear you, but let's not forget, it's our job to keep them pointed in the right direction. Voting people in is the bare minimum, now the real work of holding them accountable (and letting them know we're doing this) begins.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#5]
IFC 2017 Legislative Kick-off and Agenda

Warning, this is a bit lengthy, but I think you'll like what lies ahead.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
IFC 2017 Legislative Kick-off and Agenda

Warning, this is a bit lengthy, but I think you'll like what lies ahead.
View Quote

Good luck! Let us know what we can do to help!
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Giddy-up! I'm ready to start smashing the legislative switch board!
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#8]
That list is fantastic. Iowa will be great again!
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:22:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am very optimistic.
View Quote

Goddamned right. 
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#10]
In addition to all of our obvious issues, I'm also hopeful that something will happen with school choice/funding (AKA school vouchers/accounts). That's another huge issue that affects most of the population literally every single day, and I'm guessing most of the people that would read this, support that also
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

is there a like or upvote button on there somewhere?
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

is there a like or upvote button on there somewhere?
View Quote

No, unfortunately there is not. All we can do is spread the word to our like minded friends and get them to get their legislators on board.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Gonna try for SBR's this year?
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

NFA and whole lot more. See my link a few posts back for the list.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#17]
My fondest wish is for carry at the Regent's Institutions but I suspect we will be the last bastion to fall.

Rifles for deer hunting would be nice as well.  As least straight walled cartridges.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh I'm pumped for this session. Let's get it done!
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#19]
The 10 Craziest Bills Filed (So Far) In Iowa’s 2017 Session

We must be doing something right, we've got 2 out of 10 on their list. Best part is we've got more bills coming!

This site, Iowa Starting Line, is a liberal/progressive blog about Iowa politics run by a former Hillary staffer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Hopefully we can fill out more of that list than 20% by the end of the session.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:12:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:02:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We got them on the run, time to push hard.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:36:02 PM EDT
[#23]

nick is ready.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Second Amendment Day in the Iowa Capitol

Tuesday, March 7th
Be there or be square.

Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

nick is ready.
View Quote

Hhaha, nice emoji or whatever the fuck that is called.

Lets do this shit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#26]
We expect big things of Sen. Zaun

This is what we're up against. Expect to see more garbage like this as the session goes on.

Sen. Zaun beat this woman by 20 points on election night, now this anti-gunner is accusing us of "...dancing on the graves of children..." which seems pretty ironic considering the Bloomberg types are the ones consistently chomping at the bit to politicize mass shootings.

We do, Sen. Zaun. We expect a lot of things like not dancing on the graves of children killed by gun violence or waving guns in the faces of police officers' widows. Broad, unexamined gun law legislation that increases accessibility, use and anonymity does just that.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:33:53 PM EDT
[#27]
What all has been filed so far this year?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What all has been filed so far this year?
View Quote

Constitutional Amendment
Permit Privacy
Stand Your Ground (multiple versions)
NFA legalization (sbr/sbs/full auto/aow)

More to come.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We expect big things of Sen. Zaun

This is what we're up against. Expect to see more garbage like this as the session goes on.

Sen. Zaun beat this woman by 20 points on election night, now this anti-gunner is accusing us of "...dancing on the graves of children..." which seems pretty ironic considering the Bloomberg types are the ones consistently chomping at the bit to politicize mass shootings.
View Quote

I sent Senator Zaun an email of thanks on the evening I got word from the NRA he had introduced SJR2. I hope others continue to do the same as we move forward.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Constitutional Amendment
Permit Privacy
Stand Your Ground (multiple versions)
NFA legalization (sbr/sbs/full auto/aow)

More to come.
View Quote

Glorious  The time has come.. we will probably never have a better chance to get these thing through than right. now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#31]
am I reading SF 108 correctly? SBR, SBS, Machine guns, AND permitless carry?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#32]
permitless carry?  good thing the johnson co sheriff made $55 off my application if it happens...

had a customer say the words "the next time I come in I'm not going to just talk" last week.  to me and the manager.  called the police on him.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 3:20:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

We got them on the run, time to push hard.
View Quote

This Needs To Happen.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#34]
How is this thread not bigger at the moment?

This is all very exciting for pro 2A. We saw way more excitement over cans and this year we are looking for a whole lot more.

Get your friends, family and those people two stalls down from you at the range involved.

Send the emails, make the phone calls and make time to see your representatives face to face.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#35]
I wrote an opinion piece for the Gazette and DMR yesterday. Hoping to see it get published as a counter to the Iowans for Gun Safety article that was published earlier in the week.

We can't get lazy because we flipped the senate and think these things will just fall into place.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#36]
duplicate post.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:29:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I wrote an opinion piece for the Gazette and DMR yesterday. Hoping to see it get published as a counter to the Iowans for Gun Safety article that was published earlier in the week.

We can't get lazy because we flipped the senate and think these things will just fall into place.
View Quote

x1000!

Also, thank you for writing an OP/ED. We don't talk about them much, but a well written letter to the editor is a great way help sway public opinion. KUDOS for for taking the initiative.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:46:20 AM EDT
[#38]
300 Anti-Gunners Fill Sen. Zaun's Legislative Forum

Anyone take time to get out and meet with their legislator this weekend? The anti's sure did.

Ask yourself: if I'm not there and speaking up, who's doing it? Who's going to counter the lies being spread by the anti's?

You guys need to realize the opposition is more organized than before, they're pissed off and energized to boot. That's dangerous. If we don't step our game up the GOP will go soft on us and start negotiating away what we've worked for years to set up.

YOU need to start getting out to these legislative forums in your area because quite frankly, our side is getting killed at these events around the state.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I worry about our awesome push getting drowned out in the PP debate, the surge of emotion coming from the left due to Trump, and our state budget issues. March 7th is going to be important. Remind these guys who is voting and why they must listen to us!!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I agree. We cannot get complacent and think just because we are all red things will go how we want automatically. Gun issues NEVER go that way. The other side is still going to press us from out of state just as hard - if not harder - than before. They are desperate for wins of any kind right now.

We have to work just as hard as we did before the last elections. Keep calling and writing your reps and DEMAND these items pass. Everyone.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Dates, Times, Locations for All 2017 Legislative Forums

I'm not trying to sound alarmist, but this is a big deal. The opposition isn't going to stop with the theatrics, they've got nothing to lose. Unless we start making our presence known things will start slipping away and a golden opportunity will be lost because our side refused to show up.

The link above has a list of public forums around the state between now and the end of April. Let's get after it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I have said this before and will put it out there again. It is one thing to ask people to go to these forums but most will not because they do not have pertinent information to use as a rebuttal. Going to one of these and not having correct facts to put forth may do more harm than good in the eyes of the representatives as well as the anti's. It gives them the impression that gun owners do not have an argument. Of course the anti's will still think that but what about the representative and others at the meeting. If you look like an ignorant dumb ass you lose ground in the public opinion arena.

People need armed with the facts to the points the left are using against us and the points we want put out there for the public to consider. Why don't we open a thread with these points in the first post or two that gets updated with others ideas/points as they arise from meetings and discussion. I really think this would help all of us present ourselves as informed meaningful individuals that people feel are not just angry gun owners wanting there own way. That alone would put us ahead of the anti's.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#43]
I agree that knowledge is power and we need our people to be as impressive as possible.

I emailed my pair of Zumbach's and Zaun to say thanks since he is having a rough week.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have said this before and will put it out there again. It is one thing to ask people to go to these forums but most will not because they do not have pertinent information to use as a rebuttal. Going to one of these and not having correct facts to put forth may do more harm than good in the eyes of the representatives as well as the anti's. It gives them the impression that gun owners do not have an argument. Of course the anti's will still think that but what about the representative and others at the meeting. If you look like an ignorant dumb ass you lose ground in the public opinion arena.

People need armed with the facts to the points the left are using against us and the points we want put out there for the public to consider. Why don't we open a thread with these points in the first post or two that gets updated with others ideas/points as they arise from meetings and discussion. I really think this would help all of us present ourselves as informed meaningful individuals that people feel are not just angry gun owners wanting there own way. That alone would put us ahead of the anti's.
View Quote

It's a valid point. Can't make any promises, but I'll try to get something with some talking points created before the end of the week.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Thank you everyone for the diligence, awareness,time and hard work put into trying to keep the momentum going and expand gun rights here in Iowa. Lets not let up.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

x1000!

Also, thank you for writing an OP/ED. We don't talk about them much, but a well written letter to the editor is a great way help sway public opinion. KUDOS for for taking the initiative.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

x1000!

+1  good on you @IowaUSN

Its time to MAGA
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Samad introduced hf145 background checks and hf157 assault weapons ban yesterday.

I emailed Zach Nunn stating my opposition.  Contact your representative now!

(They have no chance of passing but contact anyway)
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

+1  good on you @IowaUSN

Its time to MAGA
View Quote

I just found out that I will be published Friday or Sunday!
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I just found out that I will be published Friday or Sunday!
View Quote

Frick yeah!! Post a link as soon as you see it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Samad introduced hf145 background checks and hf157 assault weapons ban yesterday.

I emailed Zach Nunn stating my opposition.  Contact your representative now!

(They have no chance of passing but contact anyway)
View Quote

I plan to contact Samad and let him know some facts as well as ask him what he's done to stop "street violence" as he calls it in Des Moines.

I will also contact Nunn to give my opinion and support.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top