Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2017 12:05:12 AM EDT
Anywhere to get IA plat maps that isn't $47?

When I hunted Kansas they normally set me back $20-24. Normally the prior year's could be had at half price (@$12) by the time dove season rolled around.  I am wondering if I am just looking in the wrong place as I search online for Iowa ones.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:19:42 AM EDT
[#1]
How do you use those for hunting? Getting landowner permission?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#2]
what county are you looking for?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#3]
No.  They're getting expensive and hard to find since the counties have all gone GIS.  I only know of one publisher still doing them.  In Algona as I recall.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#4]
No idea, sorry. 

But yeah, what do you use them for if you don't mind?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#5]
try to make friends with someone that works for the county road crew in the county you need. They should be able to get you one for free.

ETA. farm and home publishers in Belmond is the place that offers them, but both the paper and online version is $47.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:54:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm guessing for getting permission to hunt.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:00:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
try to make friends with someone that works for the county road crew in the county you need. They should be able to get you one for free.

ETA. farm and home publishers in Belmond is the place that offers them, but both the paper and online version is $47.
View Quote

This.

PM me if you have a specific county or better yet township and I might have it. Had all 99 counties at one point.
If I don't have it I might have the GIS for ya.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Have you tried here?

Beacon schneider GIS
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#9]
If it's in Eastern Iowa, send me a PM, yammer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, although they are more indispensable for someone who traps than someone who hunts.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
what county are you looking for?
View Quote

Just about any of them that are within an hour and a half of DSM that have a major river valley running through them.  Right now, for Iowa, all I have is Clarke and it is 2009. My Iowa scouting is more about finding a chunk of land outside of the city than it is finding a place to hunt, although my door knocking will probably be dual purpose.  The goal is to start knocking in June.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have you tried here?

Beacon schneider GIS
View Quote

I regularly check GIS by County.  Unfortunately, it isn't always as handy when I am in a vehicle in places where cell phones don't pick up data quickly.  Here is a great link if I was just going to go electronic: http://iowaassessors.com/
It covers more than just the Beacon serviced counties.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This.

PM me if you have a specific county or better yet township and I might have it. Had all 99 counties at one point.
If I don't have it I might have the GIS for ya.
View Quote

I didn't see that you were on IAWaterfowlers until recently, or I would have invited you out to kill ducks earlier this season and picked your brain then.

Once I get a little more organized I'll give you a call or send you an email.  From your response to this, I assume you work at the same place you did a few years ago.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If it's in Eastern Iowa, send me a PM, yammer.
View Quote

Thanks Sam.  I doubt I'll look east of Mahaska/Monroe/Wapello/Appanoose.  Appanoose is probably just a little too south, although I've looked at a few places around Numa/Centerville.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think my best bet is going to be to hit each county seat as I go through. To be honest, if I just wanted one, I'd pay for convenience and cough up the $47. Even picking up a handful of counties the cost difference in just buying outright is spitting in the bucket once I figure in the price of fuel.  The last plat map I picked up in Leon/Decatur came in under what Farm and Home was selling them for directly.

Great idea on the road crew as a source. There is no way those guys don't have them sitting around, regardless of upgrades in technology over the last decade.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Booger, I think I have your phone number around here somewhere.  I'll give you a call this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#18]
OnX is way better
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:20:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Do you use that primarily on your phone?  If so, what kind of speed do you get on it updating where you are in relation to property lines when you are in a sketchy cell area?

That looks like a really good option.  Decatur is the only thing it looks like it may be missing from what I'd want, and that can be fixed with a quick trip to Leon.

As I look at the following page, I am trying to figure out why a person wouldn't want the multi-state maps over the single (Iowa) one.  Am I missing something, or do you simply get more for the same price with the multi-state maps?

Thanks.  I will look into this.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#22]
You can catch the data for off line use. The have diffrent options like

1 state for a year $29
All states for a year $99
All states for month $14.99

Something like that its pretty fun to play with even shows ownership of lots in town, public land, state land and so on
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Do you use that primarily on your phone?  If so, what kind of speed do you get on it updating where you are in relation to property lines when you are in a sketchy cell area?

That looks like a really good option.  Decatur is the only thing it looks like it may be missing from what I'd want, and that can be fixed with a quick trip to Leon.

As I look at the following page, I am trying to figure out why a person wouldn't want the multi-state maps over the single (Iowa) one.  Am I missing something, or do you simply get more for the same price with the multi-state maps?

Thanks.  I will look into this.
View Quote

Also have OnX for Iowa. I use it more on my Garmin but the phone version downloads map layers for offline viewing so you don't need to worry about signal. I think the diff between them is available layers too, e.g. IHAP parcels.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks guys.  I downloaded OnX for my computer/phone.  So far it is giving me everything I want.

Edited because of below post and the fact that it doesn't include phone numbers like the plat books do. For $30 I will keep the subscription for a year, as it won't hurt to have another tool in the box this summer.  Still, I appreciate all of your input and continue to welcome any other options you guys are aware of.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Do you guys run into a lot of information being wrong?

So far, it has incorrect information for two of my neighbors, one of which has been dead and had her house sold for five years.  It has bad info on my parent's farm that has been in the family since 1965.  The number of mistakes, at least in Clarke county, has me leery of its accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Called Warren County this morning.  Plat books are going to be cheaper going directly to each auditor individually.  $25 in Warren.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Do you guys run into a lot of information being wrong?

So far, it has incorrect information for two of my neighbors, one of which has been dead and had her house sold for five years.  It has bad info on my parent's farm that has been in the family since 1965.  The number of mistakes, at least in Clarke county, has me leery of its accuracy.
View Quote

No havent had any trouble even looked up ground thats sold fairly recently and it was correct
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top