Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2016 10:22:57 PM EDT
Anyone know if Slide Fire Stocks, technically bump firing, is allowed at the Hawkeye Wild Life Shooting Range in Swisher Iowa?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Any time I ever went in college, it was a crap shoot as to what you will encounter.

One time a van rolled up, two guys got out and threw some traffic cones out onto the middle of the range and did a few mag dumps with Tapco'd SKSs, then fled the area.

Only encountered a range officer there once. I've seen people consider it a "Always hot" range and continue firing when someone is down switching targets.

Sketchy

ETA: I did A LOT of bump firing there with a Wasr10 whenever there wasn't others shooting. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#2]
If you go there the best time is early am on a weekday. Other times it can be kinda wild westy. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you go there the best time is early am on a weekday. Other times it can be kinda wild westy. Good luck.
View Quote

Yep. It's not a range I would go to alone. It is very isolated with very minimal enforcement.

Double-edged sword, as this does allow you to have a bit more fun than you would in a tightly controlled range.

Sure as hell beats the one that's east of Iowa City, where you cannot fire rifles greater than 22lr due to some stupid neighbors that moved in after the range existed. Only went there once.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 12:24:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Never had a problem there.  The DNR guys randomly drop in during known high use times.  

I've witnessed bump fire AK there.  Gets people's attention but if it's an obvious bump fire and not full auto you're good to go.  Might get someone to come over and look more closely, just strike up a friendly conversation.  One illegal full auto incident there that makes the press and the days of uncontrolled range might be over.  

My advice?  Open carry a pistol on one hip and double mags on the other, and watch everything.  Most frequent issue I've seen is keeping weapons pointed downrange.  Lots of new owners bringing their friends and girlfriends out.  So more of a new/ignorant gun handler problem than a criminal problem imo.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#5]
For anyone that's not aware the bridge off of 965/ old county road from the Coralville side is closed preventing you from getting to the range from that side.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#6]
When I went out 2 weeks ago it was closed, chained shut

May have been because of the heavy storm a day or two earlier that caused all the flooding but shit, I couldn't find any notice of it being closed online and wasted an hour round trip
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top