Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2016 5:44:44 PM EDT
what a pain in the ass!

I bought a boat and trailer but the seller had no registration for the trailer but he did for the boat (he bought it off another guy just for the boat motor)

so I got the boat in my name.

the trailer has no VIN and I've been instructed to register it as a home made trailer

so I tried that, but I made the mistake of telling them I bought it so they wanted the registration and bill of sale.
if I'd said I just made it this could have all been avoided.

so I got the bill of sale and put the year as 07 (she said whatever year it was made) and now I plan to retry because it sounded like I can probably get by with no registration

in hindsight I should have put the year as 2015 and just told her he said it's never been used on the road and registered, but with it now saying 2007 I don't want to get stuck paying a backlog of 9 years if they try to push that

the DMV sucks!

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
what a pain in the ass!

I bought a boat and trailer but the seller had no registration for the trailer but he did for the boat (he bought it off another guy just for the boat motor)

so I got the boat in my name.

the trailer has no VIN and I've been instructed to register it as a home made trailer

so I tried that, but I made the mistake of telling them I bought it so they wanted the registration and bill of sale.
if I'd said I just made it this could have all been avoided.

so I got the bill of sale and put the year as 07 (she said whatever year it was made) and now I plan to retry because it sounded like I can probably get by with no registration

in hindsight I should have put the year as 2015 and just told her he said it's never been used on the road and registered, but with it now saying 2007 I don't want to get stuck paying a backlog of 9 years if they try to push that

the DMV sucks!

View Quote

Wait a few weeks say you sold the old one and made this one I hate that crap !! I had same issues and just said hell with it and gave everything away
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 1:18:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Their rules encourage you to lie to their faces and they have no way of knowing, it's ludicrous.

I bought a rolling chassis motorcycle and made the mistake of (in conversation) telling them I put (not replaced) a motor/trans in it.... So instead of an '07 American Ironhorse, I have a 2015 Custom/Built bike.... Yeah, like my insurance didn't just double, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Their rules encourage you to lie to their faces and they have no way of knowing, it's ludicrous.

I bought a rolling chassis motorcycle and made the mistake of (in conversation) telling them I put (not replaced) a motor/trans in it.... So instead of an '07 American Ironhorse, I have a 2015 Custom/Built bike.... Yeah, like my insurance didn't just double, thanks.
View Quote

Why would you give up more information than you absolutely needed to?
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#4]
The same rules also allow for any stolen trailer to be registered as home-made with Zero LEO inspection which I think is absolute bs, considering I had a Falcon 18' dovetail tandem axle trailer stolen from me a few years ago and the responding officer said 'highly unlikely you'll ever see it again' when I pressed him for recovery statistics.  He said it'll just be sold out of state or taken a few counties away and registered as home-made.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly what I was thinking.......
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Was just making conversation with a fellow biker. Had no idea it would be used against me. Oh well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Been there done the dmv gave me way harder time than needed on a canoe i bought out of state and a truck the dealer forgot to write in the mileage
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Same, they wouldn't let me register my car when I moved here, because the co-signer on the title wasn't with me. Because he lives in another state, and never visits when they are open (bankers hours). So they lost 7 years of revenue. No skin off my back, I put forth a reasonable effort.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Tell them it was built and used in Wisconsin. Wisconsin does NOT register most trailers, including boat trailers. I had a snowmobile trailer that I always said belonged to my brother in Wisconsin.

Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top