Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 8/25/2016 10:34:22 AM EDT
Anyone else here been effected by the rain we have had here in Iowa ?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#1]
We've been lucky in the NC part of the state. I went to Waterloo last night and there was a lot of flooding around Manley and Osage and from what I heard on the weather radio it was way worse farther east around the Decorah and Waukon area.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We've been lucky in the NC part of the state. I went to Waterloo last night and there was a lot of flooding around Manley and Osage and from what I heard on the weather radio it was way worse farther east around the Decorah and Waukon area.
View Quote

Monday/Tuesday morning I was in hospital with my son being born went home Tues night went home around 9 only to find we had 3 inches of water in our basement so spent all night cleaning that and back to hospital Wed morning we got lucky only with 3 inches only ruined some stuff but it has been a rough week . Our basement has never had water in the 30 years the house has been up and it was bubbling up from a drain in the basement
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Monday/Tuesday morning I was in hospital with my son being born went home Tues night went home around 9 only to find we had 3 inches of water in our basement so spent all night cleaning that and back to hospital Wed morning we got lucky only with 3 inches only ruined some stuff but it has been a rough week . Our basement has never had water in the 30 years the house has been up and it was bubbling up from a drain in the basement
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats on the baby.  What part of the state you live in?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I heard there were a few areas north of here that were flooded worse than 2008. I hope everyone stays safe and be careful.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

New Hampton

Our north ditch usually fills with water but our east ditch rarely fills with much. Our ditches were full and I think that caused the backup into the house. So last night was spent pulling carpet and burning all the crap
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Considering I'm near you OP, absolutely. backyard was a lake the other night, no damage(other than broken branches on my trees) but loads of water. Jaeger's horse pasture NE of Charles City is still fully submerged.
Father in law had a lot of water in his shed, only damage was to vehicles waiting for scrap prices to come up before being dumped off-good vehicles were moved to high ground.

Found out my in laws knew the man who died near Lawler-FIL sold him a pickup last winter. Sounded like a nice guy.

Interestingly, just before the rain started I had a coyote in my backyard trying to get into my daughter's rabbit cage. Bastard ran before I could get a rifle out and line up a safe shot. Town limits or not, I'll risk a fine to protect pets.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Considering I'm near you OP, absolutely. backyard was a lake the other night, no damage(other than broken branches on my trees) but loads of water. Jaeger's horse pasture NE of Charles City is still fully submerged.
Father in law had a lot of water in his shed, only damage was to vehicles waiting for scrap prices to come up before being dumped off-good vehicles were moved to high ground.

Found out my in laws knew the man who died near Lawler-FIL sold him a pickup last winter. Sounded like a nice guy.

Interestingly, just before the rain started I had a coyote in my backyard trying to get into my daughter's rabbit cage. Bastard ran before I could get a rifle out and line up a safe shot. Town limits or not, I'll risk a fine to protect pets.
View Quote

Any decent size trees/branches come down?

Ya the way it sounds there is roads out all over the place, I had to run to Waterloo tonight and it looks like the Wapsi is out over county line road and it is maybe 1-2 ft from 63.
my In-laws live 1/4 mile away and they said one rain gauge in the yard measured 3" and other one measured 6" on the other side of the yard. I just left the hospital to head home Tuesday night for a bit and lots of the main roads in New Hampton were flooded I drove past the middle school/napa/carquest and that whole section was under water.

I have a creek that is east of me about 2 miles that is over the blacktop.  sounds like I am going to have lots of work in the next week fixing roads.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ya the way it sounds there is roads out all over the place, I had to run to Waterloo tonight and it looks like the Wapsi is out over county line road and it is maybe 1-2 ft from 63.
my In-laws live 1/4 mile away and they said one rain gauge in the yard measured 3" and other one measured 6" on the other side of the yard. I just left the hospital to head home Tuesday night for a bit and lots of the main roads in New Hampton were flooded I drove past the middle school/napa/carquest and that whole section was under water.

I have a creek that is east of me about 2 miles that is over the blacktop.  sounds like I am going to have lots of work in the next week fixing roads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't lose any truly huge branches, biggest was probably 2" thick and maybe 8 feet long. Couple more just as thick, but not as long. I suppose if they'd landed on my car parked in front of the house I'd have an excuse to junk it out-been trying to sell it with no bites(high mileage and being honest about the issues it has). The public hunting areas just east of Colwell weres still almost fully submerged this evening on my way home from work-maybe it'll drown out that wild parsnip crap before hunting season kicks in.

Everyone I know in the area, and neighbors, have mentioned similar. Broken branches, lots of water with some in basements, but no major damage. I should drive up to the Bonair range Saturday and see how full it is-it butts right against the river so I imagine the berm formed a nice, deep pool.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Just heard today a coworker's neighbor in Clear Lake had a good-sized tree go down in the storm. Less rain than we had this far east, but they definitely got the wind.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#10]
We were out west for a week. Got back last night, came up from Hwy 20 through Lamont,Strawberry point and Elkader. The Turkey river was out of it's banks and flooded part of Elkader, Not as bad as 2008. We didn't see rain until we got near Omaha yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I hauled rock all day today to fix some of the washed out roads I must say ya some areas got hit pretty hard !
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#12]
My uncles place got flooded pretty bad. Someone posted a video of a camper getting destroyed going under a bridge just off his property with his house in the background. I will see if I can get it to upload.

Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top