Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 7/17/2016 10:43:59 AM EDT
I've had some time off from work on a mini-vacation mostly to get some projects done on the house, but I did take advantage of some great weather Thursday to make a range trip.  I'm mostly a long range prone shooting for a hobby, but decided to get out the handgun and ar15's for the first time in a long while.  This type of shooting isn't really my thing, but I did start to get smoother by the end of the day.

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Good stuff, just happy someone is getting some trigger time. Our local DNR range has been closed for construction for several weeks
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:40:56 PM EDT
[#2]
looks like a good time. I bet that was weird being that close to the targets since you're mainly a long range shooter.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good stuff, just happy someone is getting some trigger time. Our local DNR range has been closed for construction for several weeks
View Quote

Oh man that sucks.  Hopefully it's for improvements so it will be worth the wait?

I had the 260 out to play a little bit today...

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#4]
looks good man I need to get out and do some shooting !
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
looks good man I need to get out and do some shooting !
View Quote

Thanks!  I feel like everyone should be shooting more.  I think next time out I will focus on handgun from concealed shooting since that is the most likely type of shooting any of us would ever need.  Of course from what we've been seeing lately on the news a rifle with a good red dot of some kind would be my preferred weapon.  I'm debating whether it's worth toting around an ar15 in the vehicle or not.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

In iowa on state wildlife land you can shoot anywhere.  Call your local dnr office and ask about areas local to you.  On sunday I took my brother out shooting and the range had all the berms full and I didn't feel like dealing with the fuckery so I took him to one of the many places I know that has a decent backstop to shoot up.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In iowa on state wildlife land you can shoot anywhere.  Call your local dnr office and ask about areas local to you.  On sunday I took my brother out shooting and the range had all the berms full and I didn't feel like dealing with the fuckery so I took him to one of the many places I know that has a decent backstop to shoot up.
<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/5AB48692-427B-47BB-BF75-569564B28A34.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/5AB48692-427B-47BB-BF75-569564B28A34.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/5AB48692-427B-47BB-BF75-569564B28A34.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/5AB48692-427B-47BB-BF75-569564B28A34.jpg</a>

I was on state wild life land.  About 2 years ago I called the local DNR and left a message about this topic to see if it was legal before I ever did it.  I never could get a call back or answer so I said screw it and started doing it.  This is the first time I ever ran into a DNR officer while doing it and he said it was illegal.  Is there a code some where that clarifies this so I could print it and take it with me if I was to go back?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I was wondering if shooting on those county/state wildlife land was legal or not.  There's one about a half mile from me.  I know people will use those areas to sight in their shotguns.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was wondering if shooting on those county/state wildlife land was legal or not.  There's one about a half mile from me.  I know people will use those areas to sight in their shotguns.
View Quote

I can't find anything that actually says it's illegal.  I'd like to find something definitive before I would go back though.  There just isn't much for the long range shooter here in Iowa.  I think sure shot range by Mount Auburn goes out to 800 and they hold some competitions there that is about the only game in town beyond 500 yards.  I'm going to ask around with some farmers I know and see if anyone has any land in CRP, but that seems to be getting rare anymore as well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I was told shooting clays or shot was a no go. Remember there are many varieties of state land we have lots of areas for hunting up north but we also have migratory bird protection areas which are no go. I will look for definitive stuff tonight at home.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I can't find anything that actually says it's illegal.  I'd like to find something definitive before I would go back though.  There just isn't much for the long range shooter here in Iowa.  I think sure shot range by Mount Auburn goes out to 800 and they hold some competitions there that is about the only game in town beyond 500 yards.  I'm going to ask around with some farmers I know and see if anyone has any land in CRP, but that seems to be getting rare anymore as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Terraces and steel targets are your friend. Going to have to go West or South though. Too much flat ground out East here. But if you can go from one terrace to another, you can really stretch your legs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Terraces and steel targets are your friend. Going to have to go West or South though. Too much flat ground out East here. But if you can go from one terrace to another, you can really stretch your legs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in Mahaska county plenty of hills around here.  I will mention the terraces to some of my farmer friends and see what they say.  I do plenty of hiking so going out to setup targets on foot isn't a problem if needed.  It was a bummer to hike out that 870 yard target and hike back to get it without ever getting to shoot it though.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top