Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 7/9/2016 10:50:03 PM EDT
I live in Illinois, but travel to Iowa often.  This leads me to the question, in Iowa, is it legal to have an unloaded rifle inside a zipped guncase in the trunk of your car with loaded mags also in the case (in the external pouches of the case)?  

If this isn't lawful, what is the acceptable means of transporting a rifle in Iowa.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Unloaded, cased, and out of reach.  So you are good to go.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unloaded, cased, and out of reach.  So you are good to go.
View Quote

With a rifle I don't think the "out of reach" part matters-I know I've never seen a road hunter get a ticket for having an unloaded, cased shotgun in the passenger seat, and I change oil on customer cars all the time where they've left their coyote rifle in the seat.

Not saying it's a good idea, just that I've never seen a charge for it. Handguns, OTOH, have to be out of reach if in a case small enough to conceal on your person.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know what kind of hoops you have to jump through to get a carry permit in IL, but it would be recognized here and would eliminate any restrictions on how how transport your rifle or any other firearm.

In other words, if you pick up your IL carry permit you wouldn't have to unload or case your rifle and could keep the thing in your lap if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#4]
In IA I believe loaded mags are considered a loaded firearm, don't know if it would matter if they are locked up in the trunk or not. You can legally have an unloaded and cased long gun in the passenger compartment with you without a carry permit.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Loaded mags used to be considered a loaded firearm. That was changed several years ago. Detachable magazines are not considered to be a loaded firearm as long as they are detached from the firearm, regardless of a permit or not. Firearms that do not have a detachable magazine must be unloaded, in the absence of a weapons permit. This applies to rifles, shotguns and pistols.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Thanks for the info.  I do have an Illinois carry permit.  In Illinois, it's only good [legally] for handgun carry.  So, I assumed this was the case for all or most states.  I didn't figure the CCW permit had much to do with rifles.

Quoted:
I don't know what kind of hoops you have to jump through to get a carry permit in IL, but it would be recognized here and would eliminate any restrictions on how how transport your rifle or any other firearm.

In other words, if you pick up your IL carry permit you wouldn't have to unload or case your rifle and could keep the thing in your lap if you wanted to.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 2:04:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info.  I do have an Illinois carry permit.  In Illinois, it's only good [legally] for handgun carry.  So, I assumed this was the case for all or most states.  I didn't figure the CCW permit had much to do with rifles.

View Quote

You go by the state regulations in each state in which your permit is recognized. Illinois rules only apply to Illinois. If in Iowa you go by Iowa law and so on. In Iowa your permit applies to all weapons legal in Iowa.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 3:43:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In IA I believe loaded mags are considered a loaded firearm,
View Quote

No. This changed last legislative session or the one before.  It is definitely no longer valid.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 3:43:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Loaded mags used to be considered a loaded firearm. That was changed several years ago. Detachable magazines are not considered to be a loaded firearm as long as they are detached from the firearm, regardless of a permit or not. Firearms that do not have a detachable magazine must be unloaded, in the absence of a weapons permit. This applies to rifles, shotguns and pistols.
View Quote

This.

I should have read further before responding.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 3:47:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here it is considered a weapons permit. Carry any non-NFA item freely, openly or concealed.  Iowa law makes no distinction.

This year going forward you can even have your suppressor attached to your weapon.

Give us a few years and we will expand that to the other NFA items.

Safe travels.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 5:04:43 AM EDT
[#11]
with your IL carry permit the long gun could be sitting in your passenger seat loaded and uncased and still be legal
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 8:45:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the info.  I appreciate it.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top