Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 3/6/2016 12:52:31 PM EDT

Opening Soon! The Brownells Retail Store

For many years, folks came to the front door of our warehouse in Montezuma, Iowa, with orders in hand, and our warehouse crew picked the orders while they waited. This is a great way to stay in touch with our customers, by talking face to face with them. You can't imagine how many times they'd say something like, "Boy, I sure wish you guys had a store I could come to!"

Well, I'm happy to announce we're opening a snazzy retail store at our new headquarters building in Grinnell, Iowa. And it sure is easy to get to: we're right next to the Grinnell exit, Exit #182 on Interstate 80. That's about an hour west of Iowa City and an hour east of Des Moines - practically smack dab in the middle. I-80 is the big east-west interstate highway that runs from Teaneck, New Jersey, all the way to San Francisco, so if you're taking a road trip from the east coast or the Midwest to any points west (or vice versa), you're probably driving right past Brownells!

We're setting this up as the kind of store we would want to shop at, one that's all about guns and shooting. No camping, no fishing, and no other outdoor stuff . . . that's all great, but we're focusing on shooting. More than 1,000 firearms, new AND used, along with scopes, ammo, and accessories - you name it! Plus, whether you're a pro gunsmith or a kitchen table tinkerer, you'll still be able to order anything you want from our Big Book or website, and we'll bring it right out to you at the checkout register. Now, if that isn't a reason to pull off the interstate and take a break, I don't know what is!

The store opens for business on March 30, and the hours will be Monday through Saturday, 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Every Thursday and Friday, we'll stay open an extra two hours until 8:00 PM. Oh, and we made sure to have plenty of parking. Whether your vehicle has two wheels or 18, we have room for it!

We plan to have a Grand Opening blowout party later in the summer, when the weather warms up and gets more hospitable here in Iowa. Be sure to keep checking our Facebook page and website for details as the time gets closer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool!  
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome! I've driven past the new building a half dozen time in the last few months and been wondering when it was going to open
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Most excellent.  I will spread the word.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 12:04:23 AM EDT
[#4]
About time, my wife will hate me and you because we will have to stop each time we go to the QC.....
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 7:15:29 AM EDT
[#5]
...my wife will hate me and you because we will have to stop each time we go to the QC.....
View Quote

my wife hated me as well--SOLUTION: had to get the plastic CC "carbide coated" for 'raid-fire'and sustained usage!  

Ah...the benefits of over-the-road drivers-- we stop at all gun stores nationwide!

...ammo, primers, bullets, dies, presses, scopes, you name it....
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Great.  Just what my credit card needed..............
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice!
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 1:31:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Man I've been waiting for that.

I think I'm going to take the day off work.

We should do a meetup, if there is enough interest.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 11:21:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Who else is going?  I'll be there in the afternoon sometime.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Going this afternoon.  I've heard reports that its a decent but not overwhelming gun shop.  All the tools and such are still in the warehouse.  There are terminals to type in your order for that kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Going this afternoon.  I've heard reports that its a decent but not overwhelming gun shop.  All the tools and such are still in the warehouse.  There are terminals to type in your order for that kind of stuff.
View Quote

That is disappointing to hear. They were scheduled to open at 9 though, right?
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my understanding.  Friend of my teaches at their gunsmith school.  Keep in mind the bulk of that building is their mail order warehouse.  The retail store is only a portion of it.  And no, you can't wander thru the warehouse.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's my understanding.  Friend of my teaches at their gunsmith school.  Keep in mind the bulk of that building is their mail order warehouse.  The retail store is only a portion of it.  And no, you can't wander thru the warehouse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.

That sucks though, the oddball shit they carry is why I want to go. I can look at shit online too. And let's be honest- their prices are very seldom anywhere close to being the best deal you can find, especially for us in state folks. I can get their mags cheaper at other places than I can from them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Got it.

That sucks though, the oddball shit they carry is why I want to go. I can look at shit online too. And let's be honest- their prices are very seldom anywhere close to being the best deal you can find, especially for us in state folks. I can get their mags cheaper at other places than I can from them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.

Even their "dealer" prices (which I get) aren't that great.  The sales tax pinches us in this state.  I shop there because they have what I want and most often nobody else does.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Agree 100%.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#16]

The store is nice in my opinion
they have guns and other things on display as well as ammo
The handguns are all out there so you can compare with out having to ask a sales person to see one over the counter
they have computer terminals set up so you can order anything from the catalog and then pay for it and take it home
They have computers there to file your form 4473  for all FFL purchases so you can take them home also, guns, lowers etc
to me it is nice because you can pick up things that no store in Iowa has in stock and not pay shipping and see it FTF
staff is helpful also
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I largely agree with the above.

Its a nice store.  But its a gunstore.  It really isn't any different than Scheels, or a larger store.  Except with less stuff on display.  

A couple hundred guns out probably - including some used.  A large selection of ammo.  A small selection of optics.  A decent selection of pistol and AR mags.  Maybe mags for stuff besides a 10-22, but I didn't really notice any.  Some cleaning stuff, not a lot.

Zero reloading.  No powder, primers, bullets or presses.

I was hoping they would have some more unusual stuff compared to the typical gun store.  That is why I like Brownells - they have great CS, but also have pretty much everything under the sun.  The store has good CS, with the same old shit you can see at most gun stores.  

You can ask for something to be pulled and they will grab it from the warehouse.  I don't know if they will unwrap stuff that is sealed to show you.  For me, being able to actually see stuff is why I like gun shops.  I certainly wouldn't drive there to be able to finger fuck something  - I'd most likely be money ahead just buying it and returning it if I didn't like it.

I spoke with a guy and told him the above - he told me it was not the first time that he had heard that today.

I love the company, and all they do for the 2A.  But unless they change some stuff, I'm not sure if I'll be back.  I'll continue to order online when I need stuff.

However - at least some stuff was at a discount compared to their catalog.  I don't know how to tell what might be on sale there, versus the catalog.  They had their 20 round mags marked at 10.49, which I got for 10 (I got a discount for some reason, not sure why.  I used to have a dealer account, maybe their systems weren't updated.)

All in all, I'm glad that I went, and I may stop if I'm driving by.  But I don't have a reason to make a special trip there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Got there yesterday afternoon.  Decent shop.  As others have said it's not greatly different than the other big box stores.  All the guns are out on racks so you can try stuff.  Even the handguns, tho they have a cable lock.  Selection was good, some odd balls here and there, prices on par with most retail stores.  Ammo selection was decent and priced fair.  Optics selection was adequate.  

A lot of folks were ordering items at the terminals.  I suspect the gun store is the hook to get people tied into the catalog.  

I drove down from Ames, about an hour.  I wouldn't recommend a special trip of much longer.  If you're driving by the place on the interstate it's worth a stop.  Nice bathrooms and free coffee.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Being in law enforcement I get their discount when ordering on line.  Do we get the discount at the store?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Being in law enforcement I get their discount when ordering on line.  Do we get the discount at the store?
View Quote

IDK.  But I bet so.  They have great CS, and I bet they would love to give you that discount.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 12:09:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

IDK.  But I bet so.  They have great CS, and I bet they would love to give you that discount.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, all dealer/government/LE pricing is available.  Login at their desk, select your items, hit green button... Wait 15 minutes, pick up stuff at counter.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes, all dealer/government/LE pricing is available.  Login at their desk, select your items, hit green button... Wait 15 minutes, pick up stuff at counter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got dealer pricing on t-shirts?  
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I checked it out on Saturday and enjoyed it. Bought a Glock sight pusher and some sights.

Being able to handle almost everything without having to flag someone down or have a 30 minute go nowhere conversation to handle a tavor is nice.

They also had one of the spotting scope setups that I have been looking at out for use, glad I tried it out. Not sure if I'm going to do a huge high end scope now...

I'll be going back
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:48:42 AM EDT
[#24]
NICE!

(...Pete ain't kidding...I bought some rifle bedding mixtures a while back, but only used them recently---they didn't quite work. Brownells shipped me replacements asap at no cost--date of purchase "irrelevant!" )
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#25]
I stopped in Friday early evening and here's my AAR:

I have been a Brownell's fan for years, so I stopped in. First of all, it was EMPTY. There were 2-3 employees for every shopper in the store. The sales guy I spoke with was VERY nice and having everything out was very nice. I looked at a few things, but color this constructive criticism.

1. Gun Prices - I only looked at a few things, but they were $100+ over what you can find online... Like most gunshops. Was expecting a bit better. They also didn't seem to have the same prices on the aero 'clearance' firearms they have on the site in-store.
2. The store itself might actually have less things in it than your local fun shop. Some mags, attire, standard brownells ammo pricing
3. They're experiencing growing pains. My experience wasn't unpleasant, just not very smooth. My order included lowers. DO NOT log in to your account when you order from the back, otherwise it tries to ship the order to you.... (so it was explained to me)

I was literally the only order and one of two people in the store and I understand they're picking from the back, but it was 15 mins+ for my order to be ready... Not a bad deal if they had more to look at in the store. The rest all involved retail employees and the newness of all the systems, long waits, but still pleasant people. It took me over an hour to get out with probably 15 mins of looking around before placing my order.

YES - you can get you le/dealer discount... You just tell them you have an account at the register
YES - you can use online coupon codes... Just tell them and they have to manually remove it from your order.

Spoke to a lady who seemed to know the run-down as I was finally checking out who mentioned they'd like to expand the store and bring in more of the sights/tools/etc. that we all love Brownells for and continue to expand the current shop in addition to building an indoor. range on-site...eventually.

Also, if you want a used 92 that looks like it got thrown down your driveway.... that store will be your heaven
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top