Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 1/30/2016 9:40:11 PM EDT
Any of you guys have experience with SWFA optics, specifically the SS 10x 42? Good, bad, etc?
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep I've been using the SWFA super sniper scopes for a long time.  I've had a couple of the 10 X 42 mrad scopes as well as a 12 x 42 mrad and ALL of them track perfectly and return to zero correctly.  They will do everything you need them to do and stand up to abuse.  

Here is a review with some more information on them...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nky0voYC7gQ

These are very hard to beat in their price range and hold their value if you ever decide to sell it down the road.

Here is a target I shot when I performed a tracking test on one of my super sniper scopes.  This was done in a hurry right before a long range shooting trip to start collecting dope for the first time on this particular rifle.  After load development I had determined I was about a 1/2 moa shooter with this combo and every shot is within 1/2" of dead center of the dot so I called it good.  If you aren't familiar with tracking tests this one is pretty basic, but you are aiming at the center dot at the bottom for every shot and only adjusting the turrets for all the other shots which should land on the correct dot if they are tracking correctly.

I also competed in my first F class match with my 12x ss scope on my 260.  I was shooting in the open division due to the caliber, but I was using a bipod, rear squeeze bag, and the 12x ss scope.  More of a tactical setup and not an F class setup by any means yet I did score a 192 with 5x my first ever competition.  Now as F class goes that isn't a great score, but for the first time and with that setup it shows it's very capable.  Basically to get that score at 600 yards out of 20 shots I had 12 shots in the 10 ring which is approximately 6" diameter and 8 shots in the 9 ring and of the 12 shots in the 10 ring 5 of those were inside the X ring which is for tie breakers and is approximately 3" diameter.

I also used the 12X on that same rifle to make hits out to 1665 yards on a 22" octagon size steel target.  It took 5 shots to get on target and then I hit 4 out of 10 shots.  That may not seem great, but I had never been past 1000 yards prior to that and it was a difficult day in the 30's with variable winds.  The misses were due to the shooter not the optic.

Here is video of the F class match I mentioned...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpjfjjI4T5o

Here is video of the hits at 1665 yards.  We had never been beyond 1000 yards prior to this so we did get on target at 600, 780, 942, and 1280 prior to this with good results.  We had fired a few shots at 1665 yards without spotting the shots.  I had a feeling I was hitting high into the grassy berm behind the target so we couldn't spot the shots.  I decided to fire one low in front of the target to see if we could spot it and we did.  After that I adjusted and fired on more shot getting close and adjusting again.  After those 5 shots we had been out a long time with setup and mama shooting also so we took a break to warm up.  After the break and we started recording again the first shot was a hit and this is the video we started after our break we laughed about that later when we reviewed all of our videos because the way it played out it looked like a first round hit...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuRrJ-Rn7uA
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#2]
So much great information. I have nothing to add but thanks!
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the great information! If you don't mind me asking, what rings and base are you using?
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the great information! If you don't mind me asking, what rings and base are you using?
View Quote

I typically use something like the Burris AR-P.E.P.R. mount for that type of scope on an AR15.  There are several in that style that probably work well, but the Burris has worked well for me so it's all I've ever used.  For a bolt action rifle I recommend using a 20 moa base even though the super snipers have a ton of elevation travel this way you know you have all of the elevation you will ever need.  At 1665 yards with a density altitude below zero I was using 23.6 mils and was able to dial it on the scope so I didn't have to use any hold over for elevation.  For rings I'm using medium height nightforce rings, but they don't do anything that some cheaper options can't do just as well especially if you plan on lapping the rings anyway.

I chose to use a nightforce base and medium height nightforce rings because I knew that eventually I would put a nightforce optic with a bigger objective lens on which I did.  You could probably use low rings with the super snipers just fine, but medium rings work just fine especially if you have an adjustable cheek piece on your stock.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#5]
we've used them for people when spec'd a few times over the years.  i was never a big fan.  overall, they do fine.  however, with the serious competition out there in this genre of optics, why do a fixed power?  in days of old that was fine.  if you're doing known distance shooting at the same range over and over, they are a good option.  if you're doing different distances, or UKD shooting they start to fall pretty short of the mark compared to others with better reticle options, variable power, and FFP.

don't get me wrong.  they work fine and they have a fair available adjustment range compared to many out there.  no doubt.  besides, i'd rather see somebody use a fixed power scope of average quality like a SS than some barska piece of shit in 3-1,000x80 or the likes, lol...

i'm simply stating for the money you can add just a little bit to the budget and get a much more capable scope in many cases.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top