Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 1/27/2016 11:21:55 AM EDT

Is there a gun show at the fair grounds this weekend 1/29-1/31?
THANKS
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm planning to go. What's it going to be like?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Light will shine through the windows.  You will be met at the door by maidens.  With puppies and single malt scotch.  Harps will be gently playing in the background.  Everything you're looking for will be on sale.  And, dare I say it, there will be 22 AMMO!  Stacked to the ceiling!  Pallet loads of 22 ammo!  It will be rapture!  

Or crowded and full of rude foul smelling neck beards.  One or other.  It can be hard to predict.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Light will shine through the windows.  You will be met at the door by maidens.  With puppies and single malt scotch.  Harps will be gently playing in the background.  Everything you're looking for will be on sale.  And, dare I say it, there will be 22 AMMO!  Stacked to the ceiling!  Pallet loads of 22 ammo!  It will be rapture!  

Or crowded and full of rude foul smelling neck beards.  One or other.  It can be hard to predict.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!

Ah you guys are just telling the that so I don't go and you can buy up all the good deals. I'm onto you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm going Sunday, I'm still confused if I can CCW or not. Fairgrounds are explicitly off limits, so I can buy and sell guns, but not conceal a gun?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 8:39:26 AM EDT
[#7]
No CCW at shows well it's posted I believe
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

But signs don't count. Only the law counts. During the state fair it is no go by administrative rule other than that I don't know for sure either.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

But signs don't count. Only the law counts. During the state fair it is no go by administrative rule other than that I don't know for sure either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they catch you carrying at the show they will throw you out.  Seen it happen more than once.  Been that way for decades.  Feel free to launch the test case.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Even us vendors can't carry.

Its one of the few places I go to that I really feel the need to carry. I'm either transporting expensive pistols or a bag full of cash.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 11:06:18 PM EDT
[#11]
What are the hours for Saturday ??

Thanks

Joe
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:21:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I went to the recent Cedar Rapids and adventure land shows and they were pretty lame. Lots of overpriced stuff, lots of old stuff, but nothing spectacular.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 4:50:59 AM EDT
[#13]
could we get an update to the gun show schedule???
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#14]
If it's normal hours.

F 5-9
Sat 9-5
Sun 9-3
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If they catch you carrying at the show they will throw you out.  Seen it happen more than once.  Been that way for decades.  Feel free to launch the test case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't read into what I said. I said it is no go during the fair but I didn't know about other times. As for me I don't really care. I have never been to the fairgrounds and doubt I ever will be.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I went to the recent Cedar Rapids and adventure land shows and they were pretty lame. Lots of overpriced stuff, lots of old stuff, but nothing spectacular.
View Quote

Is there something in particular you are looking for?
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If it's normal hours.

F 5-9
Sat 9-5
Sun 9-3
View Quote

Thanks,!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I arrived at 0900 Saturday and had to wait 10 minutes to get in as everyone filed in.
Left at 1030 and the entrance line was longer. Sieh's seemed several deep in 4473s and the place was crowded..

I happened to find what I think was a good deal, so it was worthwhile.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I was going to go to in hopes of buying a S&W SW22 Victory, but Sportsmans Warehouse in Ankeny had one for $369 that I bought instead of running the gauntlet at the fairgrounds.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was going to go to in hopes of buying a S&W SW22 Victory, but Sportsmans Warehouse in Ankeny had one for $369 that I bought instead of running the gauntlet at the fairgrounds.
View Quote

Good price.  Cheapest I saw at the show was $349.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Ended up going twice.  Friday night I was searching for an M&P AR 22 for the college club I advise.  Found one but didn't do a lot of looking for myself.  Went back Saturday.  Renewed my NRA membership so I got in free.  I left Friday night thinking  I missing something.  

Spent about an hour and a half doing some serious table grazing.  As a rule I buy used.  Also as a rule I'm always on the look out for older revolvers; Colts, Smiths, Ruger, doesn't matter.  I started out collecting Model Tens and have branched out into Colt OP's, DS's, Ruger Service Sixes, that sort of stuff.  Eventually found a Colt 1917 at a price I was good with. (Reblued and scrubbed like a lot of USGI stuff from that era, but much cheaper than a pristine example).  

Assorted observations.  Anything used and polymer was almost certainly in 40 and not moving.  Used nines were pretty scarce.  The market seems to be moving away from 40 and back to 9.  AR's stacked to the ceiling.  AK's in decent numbers.  If you want a Garand, it's $1,100.  Reloading supplies were available.  Sieh was selling a lot of stuff as was Beaupain.  Bob was moving reloading supplies.  Gabes was dead as were a number of other dealers.  Sieh and Beaupain were sucking most of the money out of that show.  B&B was doing pretty well (that's where I got my 1917).  Friday night the media was there.  Gone Saturday.  Crowd was good Friday but not overwhelming.  Saturday crowd was manageable.  All in all a fairly typical fairgrounds show.  Deals to be had if you knew what to look for and what the market was.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top