Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 1/11/2016 6:15:30 PM EDT
The last two years we've had a thread that's served as a pretty centralized location for legislative updates and discussion about gun bills. In the past I've kept a running tally of what legislators have been emailed, what they've said, etc., etc.. Last year it seemed like it ended up just being a huge wall of text, that was quite honestly a bit burdensome to keep updated, and I don't know how useful it was.

SO, with that said, I'm happy to serve as a point person again this year. I'll be following the daily activity in the legislature pretty closely and can provide updates and useful information as it arises. BUT, I want to know what would make it easier for you guys to get engaged again. Can't make any promises, but I'll provide any information I can to help you guys make a difference. Email addresses, phone numbers, legislators who should be hearing from you, talking points, dates and times of their meetings with constituents, and so on.

To get this thing started here's a couple of useful links:

Legislative Action Center -- Pre-written, pro-gun emails you can send directly to your legislators, as well as a tool to see who represents you, and IFC email sign up

How to be an effective 2A advocate -- Some great information from a pro-gun legislator (Sen. Amy Sinclair) on how to get the get the most traction possible when dealing with legislators.

http://iowafc.org/how-a-bill-becomes-a-law-in-iowa/ -- Run down of each step that must be taken in order to get something signed in law.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Besides the obvious stuff we have all talked about any chance in changing the law that ccw is no go on an atv/utv? Seems stupid I should have to remove it to check fence or look up cows to stay legal
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:50:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Bout time.  Lol.  Been counting the months til the session started.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:28:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Besides the obvious stuff we have all talked about any chance in changing the law that ccw is no go on an atv/utv? Seems stupid I should have to remove it to check fence or look up cows to stay legal
View Quote

Amen to that!!  I'm surprised more folks aren't pushing for this with as many atv/utv's that are out there.
(I'm not even one of them, but I think it's a ridiculous law)

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Amen to that!!  I'm surprised more folks aren't pushing for this with as many atv/utv's that are out there.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's been a fair amount of discussion about this, and I'm fairly certain we'll see a bill introduced. You guys are right, it doesn't take more than a second or two of thought to see how inconsistent this law is. Hats off to you for being on the ball.

For what it's worth, I'm told this whole issue originated with the DNR being concerned that allowing Iowan's to carry while riding off road vehicles would lead to an increase in road hunting. Assuming a bill gets introduced, this may be one of the opposition's main arguments against passage.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There's been a fair amount of discussion about this, and I'm fairly certain we'll see a bill introduced. You guys are right, it doesn't take more than a second or two of thought to see how inconsistent this law is. Hats off to you for being on the ball.

For what it's worth, I'm told this whole issue originated with the DNR being concerned that allowing Iowan's to carry while riding off road vehicles would lead to an increase in road hunting. Assuming a bill gets introduced, this may be one of the opposition's main arguments against passage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By that logic there should be a LOT of road hunting with all these people carrying in cars and trucks on the ROAD.  Talk about penalizing a lot of people for something that a few criminals might do.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

By that logic there should be a LOT of road hunting with all these people carrying in cars and trucks on the ROAD.  Talk about penalizing a lot of people for something that a few criminals might do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly but you know our DNR the seem to think everyone is a poacher
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#7]
It's BS pure and simple and another case of a damn bureaucrat legislating.  Reminds me of DPS saying you can't renew your permit if you move to another county. Still it's nothing more than a piece of paper filed somewhere.  Far as I'm aware you can renew your drivers license in another county.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's BS pure and simple and another case of a damn bureaucrat legislating.  Reminds me of DPS saying you can't renew your permit if you move to another county. Still it's nothing more than a piece of paper filed somewhere.  Far as I'm aware you can renew your drivers license in another county.
View Quote

Yes you can renew a DL in any county as well as get a certified copy of your birth certificate
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 11:20:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I can't use the first advocacy campaign message.  My reps will just put me in the spam folder.

This year won't go well if we are still butthurt about the omnibus bill.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 12:34:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Need to add ccw to the bike trails as well. At least one woman was raped in/near George Wyth last year.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 12:47:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Need to add ccw to the bike trails as well. At least one woman was raped in/near George Wyth last year.
View Quote

wait what? I have heard nothing at all about bike trail issues with carry, as far as I know it is no different than biking on a street. Any citation?
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 1:37:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Is there already a law on that? I know I asked the forum when this happened however I'm not sure if I checked back for the answer.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is there already a law on that? I know I asked the forum when this happened however I'm not sure if I checked back for the answer.
View Quote

That which is not prohibited, is allowed.. So if there is not a law, regulation interpreting a law, or something else with legislative backing, then bike trails are no different from anywhere else.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#14]
There is no law against carrying weapons on the trails.  Some county recreational trails are posted "no weapons allowed" but most people treat them as you would at any business which posts such signs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Updates
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#16]
So are we doing SYG this year or letting IGO steal our language again this year?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So are we doing SYG this year or letting IGO steal our language again this year?
View Quote

There is snowball's chance in hell in getting SYG passed with a democrat controlled, anti gun Senate. IGO knows this, and uses it to bitch, moan, and fund raise off of uninformed gun owners.  Would be damn nice to get, but it's not feasible until we win back the Senate.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There is snowball's chance in hell in getting SYG passed with a democrat controlled, anti gun Senate. IGO knows this, and uses it to bitch, moan, and fund raise off of uninformed gun owners.  Would be damn nice to get, but it's not feasible until we win back the Senate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know about the Senate and their antics, been involved with IFC for several years. I have also been following IGO and their bullshit for several years and discredit them whenever I can. My point was we allowed IGO to steal and run with our legislation last year and I want to know if we are allowing it again this year. All this does is embolden and encourage them..
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I know about the Senate and their antics, been involved with IFC for several years. I have also been following IGO and their bullshit for several years and discredit them whenever I can. My point was we allowed IGO to steal and run with our legislation last year and I want to know if we are allowing it again this year. All this does is embolden and encourage them..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true.  Someone from IFC will have to answer that.  But we are doing all we can to bring their bullshit to light over on The Truth About IGO's pages.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#20]
HF2066 introduced- allows CCW on ATV/snowmobile with valid permit to carry.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

NICE
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you have a link to the HF2066 I cant find it
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#23]
HF2043 is the 2016 standalone suppressor bill.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:Do you have a link to the HF2066 I cant find it
View Quote

Here ya go! (Hope this works - using my phone)

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ga=86&ba=Hf2066
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:58:15 PM EDT
[#25]
You guys have a pretty solid handle on things. Here's the list of bills already filed (from the last IFC email that went out):

Youth Safety and Parental Rights Act
HF2042
Repeals Iowa’s ban on supervised youth handgun training

Hearing Protection Act
HF2043
Legalizes suppressors in Iowa

Emergency Protection Act
HF2044
Guarantees Second Amendment rights are not suspended during a state of emergency

ATV Carry Act
HF2066
Allows lawful Permit to Carry holders to carry while using off-road vehicles
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Do you have a link to the HF2066 I cant find it

Thanks found it

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:43:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Very true.  Someone from IFC will have to answer that.  But we are doing all we can to bring their bullshit to light over on The Truth About IGO's pages.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I follow The Truth About IGO. In fact someone involved with the startup asked my thoughts on the startup pages and I comment feequently to the posts.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't want to hijack this thread but could someone point me to the current section of code that prohibits carry on ATV's.  I'd like to read it for my own enlightenment.
Thanks.!
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Don't want to hijack this thread but could someone point me to the current section of code that prohibits carry on ATV's.  I'd like to read it for my own enlightenment.
Thanks.!
View Quote

It's in the DNR hunting regulations. You'll find it in the free booklet. It refers to them as OHV vehicles which means Off Highway Vehicles which actually covers more than ATVs and UTVs. Mowers and Tractors? You decide. However if you're in or on anything that has a license on it, you're fine as long as you have A CCW! This even applies to being on your own property!
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Anything in the works to try to remove the 14 year age limit for minors to shoot pistols?
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:10:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Anything in the works to try to remove the 14 year age limit for minors to shoot pistols?
View Quote

http://iowafc.org/2016-youth-safety-and-parental-rights-act/
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:23:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's in the DNR hunting regulations. You'll find it in the free booklet. It refers to them as OHV vehicles which means Off Highway Vehicles which actually covers more than ATVs and UTVs. Mowers and Tractors? You decide. However if you're in or on anything that has a license on it, you're fine as long as you have A CCW! This even applies to being on your own property!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks.!

OK I get all that.  Are the Hunting Regulations listed in some section of the Iowa Code?  I would assume so if they are enforceable.

I'd really like to read this in print and not a DNR booklet!
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:05:27 AM EDT
[#33]
My guess is that you'd have to see where DNR regulations fit into the Iowa code. I'm pretty sure the Iowa code in itself doesn't spell out hunting times or bag limits. I think somewhere the regulations fit in under some blanket clause.

Also worth noting, a DNR officer has more authority that a regular police offer. An example being that they do not need a search warrant from what I understand.

A Conservation officer is not the same thing as a DNR officer.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#34]
The Emergency Protection Act passed its first hurdle yesterday, a House Judiciary subcommittee. Next up, the entire House Judiciary Committee.

Hearing Protection Act (suppressors) and the Youth Safety & Parental Rights Act (repealing the ban supervised youth handgun shooting) are tentatively slated for subcommittee votes early next week.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My guess is that you'd have to see where DNR regulations fit into the Iowa code. I'm pretty sure the Iowa code in itself doesn't spell out hunting times or bag limits. I think somewhere the regulations fit in under some blanket clause.

Also worth noting, a DNR officer has more authority that a regular police offer. An example being that they do not need a search warrant from what I understand.

View Quote

I'm quite sure the specific regulations are spelled out in the administrative code if they aren't in the code of Iowa.

A DNR officer is a peace officer just like any other peace officer in the state.  They have no extra rights or powers different than any other peace officer.  The belief that they don't need a search warrant where any other officer would is laughable.  Do they magically get to circumvent the 4th amendment?  

Please give specific examples to the contrary if you can.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The Emergency Protection Act passed its first hurdle yesterday, a House Judiciary subcommittee. Next up, the entire House Judiciary Committee.

Hearing Protection Act (suppressors) and the Youth Safety & Parental Rights Act (repealing the ban supervised youth handgun shooting) are tentatively slated for subcommittee votes early next week.
View Quote

Excellent!  I have a new Rep in the House, will be in contact with him as well as my Senator about these bills.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Since I see that many of the items that were in the omnibus bill last year are in their own bills this year am I to assume that there will be no omnibus firearms bill this year?  If so is there going to be a bill addressing the permit issues that were in the omnibus bill?
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#38]
error
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm quite sure the specific regulations are spelled out in the administrative code if they aren't in the code of Iowa.

A DNR officer is a peace officer just like any other peace officer in the state.  They have no extra rights or powers different than any other peace officer.  The belief that they don't need a search warrant where any other officer would is laughable.  Do they magically get to circumvent the 4th amendment?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There have been several cases here in SE Iowa where DNR officers have done searches without warrants. From what I read at the time, it inferred that their authority superseded normal peace officer authority with something connected to probable cause. I do know for a fact that they are way different than a Conservation Officer in many ways. It's been several years since I read about the differences though. It would take someone more knowledgeable than me on the subject to spell it out to you in detail though.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

There have been several cases here in SE Iowa where DNR officers have done searches without warrants. From what I read at the time, it inferred that their authority superseded normal peace officer authority with something connected to probable cause. I do know for a fact that they are way different than a Conservation Officer in many ways. It's been several years since I read about the differences though. It would take someone more knowledgeable than me on the subject to spell it out to you in detail though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really don't want to derail this thread very much, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that your information is probably incorrect as to the DNR warrantless searches.  Either they were conducting illegal searches or they were legal the same as if any officer were conducting them.  Probable cause is probable cause, no matter what badge is on your shirt.  I'm guessing there is more to the stories you have heard than meets the eye.

As for conservation officers, if you are referring to county conservation officers they are peace officers the same as DNR, local PD, or sheriff's deputies if they are working in a law enforcement capacity.  Some conservation employees are non-l.e. such as park maintenance, etc.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I really don't want to derail this thread very much, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that your information is probably incorrect as to the DNR warrantless searches.  Either they were conducting illegal searches or they were legal the same as if any officer were conducting them.  Probable cause is probable cause, no matter what badge is on your shirt.  I'm guessing there is more to the stories you have heard than meets the eye.

As for conservation officers, if you are referring to county conservation officers they are peace officers the same as DNR, local PD, or sheriff's deputies if they are working in a law enforcement capacity.  Some conservation employees are non-l.e. such as park maintenance, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You have yours, and I have mine. I've never been in the habit of bullshitting anyone, and never will! If you check into it, I'm sure you'll be enlightened as I was. My oldest son was doubtful too until he explored it further, and now he's in full agreement too. Or I guess you can choose to be close minded about it, as ignorance is bliss for some, until they find out the hard way.

Nuff said!  
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You have yours, and I have mine. I've never been in the habit of bullshitting anyone, and never will! If you check into it, I'm sure you'll be enlightened as I was. My oldest son was doubtful too until he explored it further, and now he's in full agreement too. Or I guess you can choose to be close minded about it, as ignorance is bliss for some, until they find out the hard way.

Nuff said!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nuff said!  

I can't say I'm being closed minded about it at all, I'm just saying that the DNR doesn't have any more rights to search than any other peace officer in the state.  

If you are so enlightened, please cite the section of the Code of Iowa granting them these superpowers.

I have no doubt that the DNR has probably conducted investigations that seem unorthodox to most people, but my point is once again, that it isn't anything that any other peace officer would not have the ability to do if they were in the same shoes.  They don't have extra privileges or power.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Since I see that many of the items that were in the omnibus bill last year are in their own bills this year am I to assume that there will be no omnibus firearms bill this year?  If so is there going to be a bill addressing the permit issues that were in the omnibus bill?
View Quote

Back on the actual topic of this thread...

You're right the contents of omnibus bill has been split into smaller chunks. It hasn't been introduced yet, but it's a pretty safe bet you'll see a permit to carry "cleanup" bill introduced some time soon.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:41:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You're right the contents of omnibus bill has been split into smaller chunks. It hasn't been introduced yet, but it's a pretty safe bet you'll see a permit to carry "cleanup" bill introduced some time soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry for the derailment.

Thanks for clarifying that. I've had a lot of folks asking me about the permit cleanup so I'm glad to hear that.

I'll try to stay on topic.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Thanks.!

View Quote
https://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/Cool-ICE/default.asp?category=billinfo&service=IowaCode&input=321I.14

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Someone explain the "Hunter protection act" is this ment for bow hunting?
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 6:13:47 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

It allows you to carry a handgun for protection while hunting.

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 6:54:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

http://iowafc.org/2016-hunter-protection-act/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://iowafc.org/2016-hunter-protection-act/

Other than bow hunting that thats already legal
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 3:14:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

wait what? I have heard nothing at all about bike trail issues with carry, as far as I know it is no different than biking on a street. Any citation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It became a city ordinance in Davenport last year.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 3:55:25 AM EDT
[#50]
We need a list of anti gun legislator seats that are up for election and their districts so people in those areas can prepare for battle. I also head that mr Hogg is going to run for Senator Grassley's seat. Might be a good time to push for a pro 2nd amendment person in his district down by Cedar Rapids.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top