Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2015 9:33:55 PM EDT
Live across the river from IL and it would be handy. Also it is good for MN which I go to as well.

So any advise?
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Last I knew Ill. does non-resident permits. You have to take the classes and apply. Can't remember if the fees were the same or more. Look on the Ill. state police website.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Minnesota is getting harder to deal with as well.  The kicked out the Utah permit.  I think that leaves the Florida permit as the only option.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Minnesota is getting harder to deal with as well.  The kicked out the Utah permit.  I think that leaves the Florida permit as the only option.
View Quote

MN accepts IL so was hoping to kill two birds with one stone.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#5]
You CAN GET a non-resident Illinois carry permit if you live in Iowa.  Here is a link to the state's page, check the menu on the left under "CCL information."

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/CCL.aspx

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#6]
NON-RESIDENTS: In accordance with 430 ILCS 66/40 (b), out of state residents may be eligible for an Illinois Concealed Carry License if your state meets the definition of substantially similar as established by rule. See 20 Il. Admin.Code 1231.10. Currently, the states identified below have been determined to have laws related to firearm
ownership, possession, and carrying that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license under Illinois’ law; and, therefore, may apply for an Concealed Carry License. This list will be updated as additional states are identified as substantially similar. Further Information concerning the regulations for non-resident applications can be found at 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.110.

1. Hawaii 2. New Mexico 3. South Carolina 4. Virginia

Note: Only residents of the states listed above have been approved by the Illinois State Police to apply for
an Illinois Non-Resident Permit

You can however carry it in your vehicle with an Iowa Permit

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like this needs to be clarified -- I had also been under the impression that I could get an IL non-res permit if i wanted to jump through the hundreds of dollars and dozens of hours of hoops  -- is that a "no"?

Quoted:
NON-RESIDENTS: In accordance with 430 ILCS 66/40 (b), out of state residents may be eligible for an Illinois Concealed Carry License if your state meets the definition of substantially similar as established by rule. See 20 Il. Admin.Code 1231.10. Currently, the states identified below have been determined to have laws related to firearm
ownership, possession, and carrying that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license under Illinois’ law; and, therefore, may apply for an Concealed Carry License. This list will be updated as additional states are identified as substantially similar. Further Information concerning the regulations for non-resident applications can be found at 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.110.
Note: Only residents of the states listed above have been approved by the Illinois State Police to apply for

View Quote

where exactly is that from, (found it at https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/FAQ.aspx )  is that for getting a permit without additional training, or getting a permit at all?
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#8]
That is for getting a non-resident permit at all. IL messed up the way they wrote their law and to get a non-res permit the training standards need to be substantially similar. Only a few states meet that requirement right now. I am registered as a IL Instructor too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:57:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It isn't just the training requirement.  There's a mental health verification.and reporting requirement that your home state has to do as part of their carry permit/license process which has to align with the Illinois version of it.  No substantially similar mental health verification and reporting in your state, no IL non-resident license.
Steve/RRA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is for getting a non-resident permit at all. IL messed up the way they wrote their law and to get a non-res permit the training standards need to be substantially similar. Only a few states meet that requirement right now. I am registered as a IL Instructor too.

It isn't just the training requirement.  There's a mental health verification.and reporting requirement that your home state has to do as part of their carry permit/license process which has to align with the Illinois version of it.  No substantially similar mental health verification and reporting in your state, no IL non-resident license.
Steve/RRA

Ouch. I suppose ICarry/etc want to get that fixed, but lack the political push to get more changes (since the law is maybe close enough to in compliance with the state constitution)?
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 10:13:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can you expand on that?
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 10:17:05 PM EDT
[#12]
So is there a easy way to get a different state permit that will work for IL & MN?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:06:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Can you expand on that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you expand on that?

This is the code section in the Illinois carry law. Essentially you can carry w/i your vehicle in Illinois but you cannot get out of the car with your weapon on or loaded, an exception would be on private property where permitted. If you get out of your car you must either remove the weapon from your person and leave in the vehicle concealed. If you want to take it with you you must unload it and it must be in an acceptable, by Illinois law, container.

There has been some debate about how you may store it in your car but from what I see in the code above it refers to acceptable ways for residents with permits to store it. It is much like ours except it must be concealed and not openly displayed. Check the reference sections in the code as I am not a lawyer.

(430 ILCS 66/40)
Sec. 40. Non-resident license applications
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top