Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2015 12:25:45 PM EDT
SO...moving to IA from OK in the next couple weeks. Got a job as an engineer with Deere at the Dubuque works. Was curious of any advise/issues I may have moving there. I don't have any SBR or suppressors, as I know those are not allowed (yet). Curious on any other issues/advise though.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Pack/buy some long johns
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#2]
$20 strap-on ice cleats for your shoes could save you $20,000+ in back surgery (falling in icy sidewalk after an ice storm)
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty straight forward other than the CIII stuff.  Carry permits are shall issue.  They require "training" but that's easily handled.  No mag restrictions or anything of that sort.  Deer hunting is shotgun, muzzle loader or bow.  No rifles, tho handguns are allowed.  To buy handguns you need a permit to acquire or a carry permit.  The permit to acquire takes five minutes at the sheriff's office.  

Dubuque is a neat town.  Old river town that reinvented itself.  The museum down town is one of the coolest in Iowa.  You're in the middle of Iowa trout fishing territory.  Prime deer hunting, especially to the north.  On the Mississippi if you're into boating or fishing.  

Winters in Dubq can be interesting.  As you no doubt noticed the town is a bit hilly.  Highway 20 is kind of the winter front line in Iowa.  North of 20 is real winter and lots of it.  South of 20 is milder.  

You may also have noticed a Catholic presence in town.  Dubuque is about 95% Catholic.  Ok, maybe not that much but close.  Three colleges in town.  Strangely enough one of them is Presbyterian.  Dyersville to the west is a pretty town.  North of town gets into the Iowa hill country, very nice.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 1:23:13 AM EDT
[#4]
You are going to get a lot of "you're not from around here" looks.  Dubuque county residents can tell you didn't grow up in Dubuque county.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Friendly people lots of awesome fishing and hunting opportunities I think you'll like it just fine.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#6]
One quirky thing about Iowa gun law is we have an asinine law that states when you are out shooting with your kids you cannot let any minor under the age of 14 shoot a handgun.

Shotgun? g2g
AR15/AK47? g2g
50bmg? g2g
.22 pistol? CRIMINAL ACT

We're working to get that changed in the upcoming legislative session (along with a slew of other pro-gun issues).

Aside from that welcome to Iowa. We need as many solid pro-2A guys as we can get!
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the welcome and advise. I've already asked for long Johns for Xmas gifts. LOL.

Good to know the no rifles for deer hunting...that seems a bit wierd to me growing up in rural northeast Missouri, but good to know. Also glad to hear that permit to carry doubles as permit to acquire..one less permit to get.

As for the dubuque hills, at least the hopefully know what to do with the stuff. Down here in oklahoma even a chance of snow and schools are cancelled.

I've got a jeep and will be looking for some trails in the area as well. Also got to buy some winter tires for the wife's car.

I dont have children, so the handgun thing doesn't apply, but that is really wierd.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 9:52:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I have family in DBQ and try to make it over every other month or so.  I really like the community it has about everything you could need.  There is an indoor range, Central Range, in the old downtown area.  Always had a good experience shooting handgun there and picked up a nice Browning A-Bolt for a pretty good price.

Welcome to Iowa!
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Good hunting, good fishing.  I'm not aware offhand of any clubs in the area, but I'm certain there are a couple closeby.  Don't join IGO, or we will blacklist you here.  Do join IFC

Also, we hate stalling here (John cough cough Smith cough OSU cough).  

Welcome, glad to have you here.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 11:17:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the welcome and advise. I've already asked for long Johns for Xmas gifts. LOL.

Good to know the no rifles for deer hunting...that seems a bit wierd to me growing up in rural northeast Missouri, but good to know. Also glad to hear that permit to carry doubles as permit to acquire..one less permit to get.

As for the dubuque hills, at least the hopefully know what to do with the stuff. Down here in oklahoma even a chance of snow and schools are cancelled.

I've got a jeep and will be looking for some trails in the area as well. Also got to buy some winter tires for the wife's car.

I dont have children, so the handgun thing doesn't apply, but that is really wierd.
View Quote

Pics of jeep.  There are a couple of jeep clubs in eastern iowa.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Four wheel drive and practice driving on snow/ice ASAP when you can.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 8:50:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good hunting, good fishing.  I'm not aware offhand of any clubs in the area, but I'm certain there are a couple closeby.  Don't join IGO, or we will blacklist you here.  Do join IFC

Also, we hate stalling here (John cough cough Smith cough OSU cough).  

Welcome, glad to have you here.
View Quote

This man speaks the truth on both fronts.  IFC = good. Boring wrestling = bad.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top