Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 11/2/2015 10:41:54 PM EDT
Got terminated today.  They came and fired everyone.   Assholes.  15 years down the tubes.  I think I am depressed.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I've met more than a few people whose greatest opportunities arose from a day similar to yours.

I am sorry to hear of your current situation, and I wish you well as you move on to better things.  At the very least, you won't be dealing with the same group of assholes for the rest of your working life. That has to be worth something.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]
where from?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Mason city
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#4]
sorry to hear that there is always a positive focus your energy on something you enjoy
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:08:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Aww man. That is terrible news. Don't have much of value to offer other than to say I'm sending good vibes and a couple prayers your way.

Keep your chin up buddy. The sun will still rise tomorrow and you'll find a way to make it through this.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:40:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry to hear that.  Company going out of business or moving to mexico or something?  Kind of a crappy time for that to happen.  I remember getting "laid off" at the beginning of December once and called back right after Christmas.  I was only about 20 at the time so it didn't hurt me to bad because I didn't have a family, but it did motivate me to find the current job I have.  Been here almost 18 years now.  Keep your head up and turn it into motivation.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 6:25:58 AM EDT
[#7]
That sucks man. Never too late to start over,I had to when I was 40 and it's never easy.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry to hear that.  

If your interested, post up or IM your career field or what you would like to do & I will keep an eye out for any open positions.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Check on the Union Pacific,we have a yard up there. ;)
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Rrr
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check on the Union Pacific,we have a yard up there. ;)
View Quote

Sort of ironic you say that as railroading is in my blood.  My great grandfather was the GM for Santa Fe.  My grandfather use to tell stories of riding the rails. They had their own rail car I guess.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#12]
If the shittiest day of your life is losing your job through no fault of your own you are doing pretty damn good in my book.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 1:17:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If the shittiest day of your life is losing your job through no fault of your own you are doing pretty damn good in my book.
View Quote

My thoughts exactly!
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#14]
what did you do/work in mason?
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hate to say, attorneys are involved now.  I have not slept or ate in days,  my stomach is constantly upset worrying about the family, house, and everything.  We are listing the house to sell, and quite frankly I am having a hard time seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.  It's always the first thing on my mind in the morning and the last thing at night. I just want it to be over
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I hate to say, attorneys are involved now.  I have not slept or ate in days,  my stomach is constantly upset worrying about the family, house, and everything.  We are listing the house to sell, and quite frankly I am having a hard time seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.  It's always the first thing on my mind in the morning and the last thing at night. I just want it to be over
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry you are going through this.  It WILL get better.  

What line of work do you do, what quals do you have, willing to move?  

Also, you have kids?
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I know it is a shitty situation now, but man if that's one of the worst days in your life you've got it going pretty good

Everything gets better. Take some time to recover, then dust yourself off and move forward. Situations like that will try a man, but perseverance is key.

Can you tell us what line of work you do? My company is hiring!
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#18]
In this economy there are two types of people;  those who have gotten the boot, and those who  haven't gotten the boot yet.  Many of us have been through it.  It sucks,  you don't always see light at the end of the tunnel, but you will survive.  

I found getting any kind of job was better than sitting at home.  Hit the temp agencies.  Call all your contacts and friends.  Don't think you have to do the same job you did before.  I took jobs pushing a broom and honestly found it kind of therapeutic (I'm an accountant by training).  File for unemployment.  I see you have lawyers involved.  That's fine, its your call, and I don't know the specifics of your situation.  But lawyers will take a long time to resolve anything.  Remember Iowa is an at will state.  An employer can fire any employee for almost any reason.  Or no reason at all.  

Be prepared for rejection.  I don't care what anyone says, the economy is still crap and its a buyer's market for jobs.  Find an outlet.  Run.  Walk.  Go to the range.  Whatever floats your boat and gets your mind off the negative.  Stay away from the booze.  Alcohol is a depressant.  It doesn't help.  Believe me, I tried that route (honestly still do).  Try very hard not to take out your frustration on your wife and/or kids.  I lost a wife that way.  

Your life is going to change.  That's not a bad thing but it sure as hell can be scary.  It can also be fun, believe or not.  Don't rule out relocating.  Don't rule out a completely different career.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 11:23:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you get the point where you have to move-NOW, look me up if you need to store anything. I have some room, and can guarantee it will remain unfucked-with.

If you end up moving when I have time I'd be willing to help lift and carry stuff.

As for type of work based on stories I've heard about a couple businesses I have a pretty good idea. Lousy situation all around.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks shack.

We listed the house a couple of days ago.  It's a really nice house and we hope it sells quickly.  My wife has been amazing and keeps telling me just to move on.  We though the new owners would offer me a position, but apparently not.  So we are, wife and two kids, are moving on. We both have family here so we have a great support system.  I am going to not work for three years and get the youngest into school.  My wife has a great job.  So once we get the house sold, we are going to downsize.   Ironically, about a year ago we started to talk about downsizing.  We just did Not think that we were leading the life we wanted.  Constantly working and never seeing the kids.  So we are just moving ahead with that.  Probably will sell our big car and just buy a small truck.   Outside of the house and one car we are debt free, so I don't have that hanging over my head.   I'll collect my unemployment for a while, and then just move on I guess.   Still hard as I have worked since I was 15, so this is a bit out of the norm for me.  

As far as my skill set, I have two degrees, one in criminal justice and a business degree.  I enjoy woodworking and am kind of a jack of all trades.  I obviously have a ton of management and office experience.  

Thanks for letting me ramble.....and for all the comments.   This has been a really hard time in my life.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 11:21:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, sounds like you have a plan at least, offer stands if needed, either for help moving if available or for emergency storage.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 5:38:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Up at 3:30 am. All these thoughts and stresses running through my head
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Iowa DOC is hiring in Mt. Pleasant if that is something you are interested in.

CO pay tops out mid 50's. With your degree you would have good chance of promotions/advancement.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Up at 3:30 am. All these thoughts and stresses running through my head
View Quote

Might want to take some diphenhydramine hci sleep aid. Walmart has the generic ones too. Won't knock you out but will help.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Iowa DOC is hiring in Mt. Pleasant if that is something you are interested in.

CO pay tops out mid 50's. With your degree you would have good chance of promotions/advancement.
View Quote

I know it well.  Grew up in Fairfield.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top