User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just went and did my paperwork for my renewal it was issued in Polk and I am renewing in Chickasaw I had to prove I have lived here more than 3months they said they would "send it in the mail" so we will see how that goes it will be a paper permit unlike polks plastic one
View Quote

Just saw an article in the New Hampton paper. Looks like plastic cards might be coming sometime soon, sheriff is working with supervisors to try and get a card machine.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:25:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Just saw an article in the New Hampton paper. Looks like plastic cards might be coming sometime soon, sheriff is working with supervisors to try and get a card machine.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just went and did my paperwork for my renewal it was issued in Polk and I am renewing in Chickasaw I had to prove I have lived here more than 3months they said they would "send it in the mail" so we will see how that goes it will be a paper permit unlike polks plastic one

I guess they have a machine already it's just not hooked up and no one seems to be working hard on it
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I guess they have a machine already it's just not hooked up and no one seems to be working hard on it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm up for renewal; in June or July, hopefully by then. I'm one willing to pay a fee for the option if that's what it takes to get us the machine.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:35:03 AM EDT
[#4]
So, regarding the DC Police Dept. online handgun safety training:

I went to get a "new" permit today using the "DC Metro Police Firearms Safety Training" certificate, and talked with the deputy in charge. I explained the lack of clarity and , and that my up-front goal was to appeal it via official channels if denied due to the training. He was not particularly interested in being forced to spend time researching it immediately, nor in being party to a potential administrative law case if it came to that, and used the old on-file training from my application 5 years ago for the "new" permit, as allowed by the law. Had I done a "renewal", of course, it would have forced him to approve or deny the DC online training course. He is going to talk to the DPS and request an official opinion on the course, and I'll get back with him in a few weeks to see what they say. I didn't want to be a jerk and force the permit application using the in-question training certificate, as I don't know exactly how complicated a denial and administrative law appeal might make his job. I explained that the DPS was under no legal obligation to render an opinion, and that only a written denial due to non-conforming training would actually allow me to legally force any kind of official verdict. I was pleased to note that he was very familiar with the law, and fully understood the ambiguities and intricacies in it.

If the DPS will not render an official and actionable opinion based on his request, I can 'renew' at any time for $50, be denied, and appeal to force the issue, as delineated in the law.

Look for a post in a month or so, hopefully.

Of course, pigs could grow wings and let a permit language reform bill be passed and signed in the next month. But then, Rand Paul could win the nomination too. Not holding my breath over either of those, unfortunately ;)
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I went to get a "new" permit today using the "DC Metro Police Firearms Safety Training" certificate, and talked with the deputy in charge. I explained the lack of clarity and , and that my up-front goal was to appeal it via official channels if denied due to the training. He was not particularly interested in being forced to spend time researching it immediately, nor in being party to a potential administrative law case if it came to that, and used the old on-file training from my application 5 years ago for the "new" permit, as allowed by the law. Had I done a "renewal", of course, it would have forced him to approve or deny the DC online training course. He is going to talk to the DPS and request an official opinion on the course, and I'll get back with him in a few weeks to see what they say. I didn't want to be a jerk and force the permit application using the in-question training certificate, as I don't know exactly how complicated a denial and administrative law appeal might make his job. I explained that the DPS was under no legal obligation to render an opinion, and that only a written denial due to non-conforming training would actually allow me to legally force any kind of official verdict. I was pleased to note that he was very familiar with the law, and fully understood the ambiguities and intricacies in it.

If the DPS will not render an official and actionable opinion based on his request, I can 'renew' at any time for $50, be denied, and appeal to force the issue, as delineated in the law.

Of course, pigs could grow wings and let a permit language reform bill be passed and signed in the next month. But then, Rand Paul could win the nomination too. Not holding my breath over either of those, unfortunately ;)
View Quote

Not quite. Renewals have to be done with proof of training, or other qualification, within the twelve month period prior to the expiration of the current permit. Now that you have a valid permit that isn't going to expire for 5 years you'll have to wait 4 years until you can apply for a "renewal". Unless you have the ability to prove you went to the future and came back with proof of training from then. Somebody else will have to force the had of the .gov if this is going to be resolved in an official capacity.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not quite. Renewals have to be done with proof of training, or other qualification, within the twelve month period prior to the expiration of the current permit. Now that you have a valid permit that isn't going to expire for 5 years you'll have to wait 4 years until you can apply for a "renewal". Unless you have the ability to prove you went to the future and came back with proof of training from then. Somebody else will have to force the had of the .gov if this is going to be resolved in an official capacity.
View Quote

Ah, good catch. We'll see how it goes.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, went to the Polk County Sheriffs office today.  My permit doesn't expire until December and for some reason the DC training site isn't working today.  My wife's permit expires on April 9th 2016.  We took a class with Rick at CCA 4/19/2015 so only she renewed.   We tired doing their renewal online but it took a $30 dollar fee to $35.29 ($30+$4 "convenience fee" + $1.29 Credit card fee) so we went in.  Wife used their computer to fill out the same online forum and paid $30 cash at the counter and that was done.  They will email her in "about 30 days" to let her know its good to pickup.  At that time she goes in with a copy of her training and ID.

Now I had a few questions for the clerk at the counter.  She said they will issue a paper for $25 "but no one ever gets that because it doesn't have a picture to prove its you and you might get arrested without a picture".  I still plan to try the paper route once the DC training is working again. I don't think they will follow through.

Also the application they used required an email address and phone number.  I asked what happens if you don't have either?  She gave me a puzzled look and just said "we'll give a fake one".

Iowa code 724.10
724.10 Application for permit to carry weapons background check required.

1. A person shall not be issued a permit to carry weapons unless the person has completed and signed an application on a form to be prescribed and published by the commissioner of public safety. The application shall require only the full name, driver s license or nonoperator s identification card number, residence, place of birth, and date of birth of the applicant, and shall state whether the applicant meets the criteria specified in sections 724.8 and 724.9. An applicant may provide the applicant s social security number if the applicant so chooses. The applicant shall also display an identification card that bears a distinguishing number assigned to the cardholder, the full name, date of birth, sex, residence address, and a brief description and colored photograph of the cardholder.
View Quote

Lastly I asked about the DC course and was told no because they called DC and it's only for DC residents.  So I asked her if they would give me a denial if I tired.  Of course she said yes.  Now keep in mind they don't check training UNTIL you come in to pickup your permit.  Also keep in mind Polk pretty much takes the full 30 days allowed by law to issue a permit.  So I asked her if they would have a denial on day 31 when I would come in to pick it up.  She said no not that day, I would have to wait a "few weeks" for the sheriff to write it up.  So I asked how that would work when they have to give a response within 30 days from the application.  She looked and at me and just said "You really like to argue, don't you?" At that point the wife unit and I just left.  No point arguing to much with counter clerk.  Now just to wait for the DC thing to start working again.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I would like to thank you for "arguing".  I feel like I understood the code and after I left they had me so confused.  I felt like the representatives at the sheriff's office were unwilling to go over the process with me and just try to get people out the door.  I expect them to know to code or at the very least say "I don't know but I will get back to you."
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Picked up my new card today.  Story County took about a week to process.  There were six other people in line when I picked mine up.  

I used a low light class as my training requirement.  They seemed fine with it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you.  I was lazy and did mine online.

Quoted:
Ok, went to the Polk County Sheriffs office today.  My permit doesn't expire until December and for some reason the DC training site isn't working today.  My wife's permit expires on April 9th 2016.  We took a class with Rick at CCA 4/19/2015 so only she renewed.   We tired doing their renewal online but it took a $30 dollar fee to $35.29 ($30+$4 "convenience fee" + $1.29 Credit card fee) so we went in.  Wife used their computer to fill out the same online forum and paid $30 cash at the counter and that was done.  They will email her in "about 30 days" to let her know its good to pickup.  At that time she goes in with a copy of her training and ID.

Now I had a few questions for the clerk at the counter.  She said they will issue a paper for $25 "but no one ever gets that because it doesn't have a picture to prove its you and you might get arrested without a picture".  I still plan to try the paper route once the DC training is working again. I don't think they will follow through.

Also the application they used required an email address and phone number.  I asked what happens if you don't have either?  She gave me a puzzled look and just said "we'll give a fake one".

Iowa code 724.10

Lastly I asked about the DC course and was told no because they called DC and it's only for DC residents.  So I asked her if they would give me a denial if I tired.  Of course she said yes.  Now keep in mind they don't check training UNTIL you come in to pickup your permit.  Also keep in mind Polk pretty much takes the full 30 days allowed by law to issue a permit.  So I asked her if they would have a denial on day 31 when I would come in to pick it up.  She said no not that day, I would have to wait a "few weeks" for the sheriff to write it up.  So I asked how that would work when they have to give a response within 30 days from the application.  She looked and at me and just said "You really like to argue, don't you?" At that point the wife unit and I just left.  No point arguing to much with counter clerk.  Now just to wait for the DC thing to start working again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Iowa code 724.10
724.10 Application for permit to carry weapons background check required.

1. A person shall not be issued a permit to carry weapons unless the person has completed and signed an application on a form to be prescribed and published by the commissioner of public safety. The application shall require only the full name, driver s license or nonoperator s identification card number, residence, place of birth, and date of birth of the applicant, and shall state whether the applicant meets the criteria specified in sections 724.8 and 724.9. An applicant may provide the applicant s social security number if the applicant so chooses. The applicant shall also display an identification card that bears a distinguishing number assigned to the cardholder, the full name, date of birth, sex, residence address, and a brief description and colored photograph of the cardholder.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:54:52 AM EDT
[#11]
So was able to complete the DC course before work this morning.  Going to go in this afternoon to Polk and renew using it.  I think I may just try to give them the certificate now, so I don't have to wait until I come in again to get a denial.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#12]
So I went in friday afternoon. Was told by a different lady from the first time that they can't take the training cert now because they don't have a file on me yet.  Asked her about the DC safety course and getting a denial letter when I come in again.  Told her my intention was to appeal.  She just asked me if I thought I would be denied.  That's when first lady from the other day tells me they get communication from the state constantly and that now they are accepting the DC safety course.  So I paid my $25 for a paper permit and now I wait for their email telling me I am g2g.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Got notice yesterday that permit was approved. and issued.  Went in today and picked it up.  Used the DC course and got a paper permit.  Only interesting thing said today was that I should have brought in my old permit.  They wanted to shred it.  Was told that once I was issued a new permit my old one becomes invalid.  So if I hadn't been able to pick up the new one this week I would have been carrying illegally?  My old one doesn't expire until December.  Also I don't see anywhere it says that once you are issued a renewal you old permit becomes invalid?
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Black Hawk County Sheriff Tony Thomson is accepting the DC Metro Police Firearms Safety Training certificates.  I spoke with him via email and he stated that he would be accepting them.  

Verbatim from the email he sent me:

"Having reviewed it, I will reassert that this is not a desirable course for an Iowa permit holder.  It does not protect, educate, or indemnify you regarding any Iowa laws.  However, due to the poorly written Iowa law regarding the permitting process, this course (I believe) does meet the minimum criteria for acceptance and I will accept this as proof of training for recertification (renewal).

My best to you!

Tony"

Ironically, the majority of sheriffs are recommending that you let your current permit expire and then apply for a new one using your old training certificate.  They have figured out there is more money to be made with new permits over renewals.  Check with your local sheriff first.

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I went to get a "new" permit today using the "DC Metro Police Firearms Safety Training" certificate, and talked with the deputy in charge. I explained the lack of clarity and , and that my up-front goal was to appeal it via official channels if denied due to the training. He was not particularly interested in being forced to spend time researching it immediately, nor in being party to a potential administrative law case if it came to that, and used the old on-file training from my application 5 years ago for the "new" permit, as allowed by the law. Had I done a "renewal", of course, it would have forced him to approve or deny the DC online training course. He is going to talk to the DPS and request an official opinion on the course, and I'll get back with him in a few weeks to see what they say.
View Quote

Update on this from the Linn County Sheriff Office: "We will accept training certificates from the DC Metro course as it does appear to comply with Iowa’s current law."
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So I went in friday afternoon. Was told by a different lady from the first time that they can't take the training cert now because they don't have a file on me yet.  Asked her about the DC safety course and getting a denial letter when I come in again.  Told her my intention was to appeal.  She just asked me if I thought I would be denied.  That's when first lady from the other day tells me they get communication from the state constantly and that now they are accepting the DC safety course.  So I paid my $25 for a paper permit and now I wait for their email telling me I am g2g.
View Quote

When I initially got my permit I used my military records, took in my DD214 from Basic Training, turned out that Guard soldiers need a different form(don't remember the form number) since the 214 is just release from active duty. Word actually made it into a post here that my form had raised questions from the county before the county had gotten time to call me. When I went back in, my honorable discharge certificate covered the requirement(didn't have the other form that had been mentioned) with no problem.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top