Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 8/20/2015 4:25:58 PM EDT
A video which has been floating facebook for a little while... Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ_UgNZxv5c
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#1]
The Deputy was technically wrong. A WP9 Wallet Card Permit IS a legal Iowa document listed in the Iowa Admin. Rules. I spoke to the DPS about this a while and they apparently confirmed this with this officer too. As I understand it the guys permit was returned a couple days later.

Now with that said there is this:

LeMars Man Open Carries Rifle

The guy in the story is the same guy in the video. If you go looking for attention you will eventually get it. He certainly didn't make a very convincing argument for himself even though arguing with an officer usually get you nowhere. He shook the officers hand and thanked him? There is such a thing as being polite, but that is like thanking an officer for a speeding ticket? The other question is that if the officer felt he was correct, then why didn't the officer seize the weapon? He took his permit, so after that the guy was then carrying without a permit wasn't he?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Stupid cop is stupid and I hope he got his bag slapped
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#3]
In 2010 Polk didn't even offer a paper permit while charging $5 over the amount decreed by Iowa Code because they issue a plastic card.  I won't know if this changed until next year when I renew.

I really don't want guys like the one in this video "bringing attention to the second amendment," even though it is well within his rights.

Seems to me that one of them required a little training/education while the other one required some common sense.   I will qualify that I read all of the article in the second post and only watched enough of the clip in the OP to get tired of the yes you were issued/no I wasn't issued a paper permit tennis game.

ETA: seems like if this guy was a known entity the deputy would have had his ducks in a row before the interaction.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

You continue to inspire with your well articulated nuggets of wisdom.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know, seems to sum it up well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Are there ANY of the counties in Iowa that issue the hard card that also issue the paper copy?  I've not heard of one if there is.  Seems like my daughter said her's from Polk county is hard card and they wouldn't issue a paper one also.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Mahaska issues the paper permit and the hard card is a $10 option .

I heard Marshall County was doing the same thing in not honoring the plastic permits.

In the original video posted above the deputy tried to claim the picture on the permit was faded beyond recognition. I find that excuse funny because there is not picture on a paper permit nor is it required anywhere in the law or code.

A big step in Iowa for now anyway would be for the DPS to come out with a standard hard card permit template. Every county permit I have seem looks different.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said feel free to hit the ignore button that is if you have that on a free account
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:08:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mahaska issues the paper permit and the hard card is a $10 option .

I heard Marshall County was doing the same thing in not honoring the plastic permits.

In the original video posted above the deputy tried to claim the picture on the permit was faded beyond recognition. I find that excuse funny because there is not picture on a paper permit nor is it required anywhere in the law or code.

A big step in Iowa for now anyway would be for the DPS to come out with a standard hard card permit template. Every county permit I have seem looks different.
View Quote

No. The ISSDA has proven as a whole incapable of organized implementation of the law. Have the state do it at a central location. Photos aren't necessary in the first place, but they can use driver's license/non-operator ID photos if they feel the need.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No. The ISSDA has proven as a whole incapable of organized implementation of the law. Have the state do it at a central location. Photos aren't necessary in the first place, but they can use driver's license/non-operator ID photos if they feel the need.
View Quote

Ya. and the first step toward that was attempted (centralized verification database to gain massive reciprocity), and then IGO jumped in and pissed all over everything, as always.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ya. and the first step toward that was attempted (centralized verification database to gain massive reciprocity), and then IGO jumped in and pissed all over everything, as always.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are we here to embrace excuses, or solutions? I get what you're saying. IGO getting involved in anything ends up turning it into a giant clusterfluff, but that doesn't mean we give up. They never accomplish anything, never have, and never will. While the squeaky wheel gets the oil we have the ability to be louder.

“It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men.”
? Samuel Adams

If we are going to get anything done we need to do like we did before to get it done and bombard all forms of communication to legislators to make it clear what we want and we will not be quiet about it until we get it, and not just during the session. It needs to be a top priority whenever they even consider campaigning. We have the numbers, we have the people who are able to get it done, we just need to motivate those people to put in the work.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Are we here to embrace excuses, or solutions? I get what you're saying. IGO getting involved in anything ends up turning it into a giant clusterfluff, but that doesn't mean we give up. They never accomplish anything, never have, and never will. While the squeaky wheel gets the oil we have the ability to be louder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm embracing nothing, this is just the current reality.
IGO is accomplishing exactly what they want to: profiteering while preventing anything from getting better, so they can profiteer more. They accomplish f***ing people over while getting paid, and they are professionals at it.

Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top