Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 8/11/2015 9:18:58 PM EDT
I just saw the new MN DPS policy published. With their new law the MN DPS took it upon themselves to determine that 4 states permits no longer meet their requirements for reciprocity.

Other than driving to MN to apply and paying $100 for a 5 year permit I don't see a easy way to carry in MN. I guess I will be avoiding there for a while
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.ammoland.com/2015/07/minnesota-pro-gun-provisions-take-effect-in-the-north-star-state/
what the hell? the MN gun rights groups had just won a legislative battle to IMPROVE the reciprocity, this session...

edit: also see here in MN HTF: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_28/584791_New_reciprocity_for_concealed_carry.html&page=1#i6480105
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just saw the new MN DPS policy published. With their new law the MN DPS took it upon themselves to determine that 4 states permits no longer meet their requirements for reciprocity.

Other than driving to MN to apply and paying $100 for a 5 year permit I don't see a easy way to carry in MN. I guess I will be avoiding there for a while
View Quote

Might be a good idea to post on IFC's forum!
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#3]
What actually happened?  IGO is spewing their typical nonsense about MN gun rights being the good guys of course,  pushing for constitutional carry, does anyone know what really happened?
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#4]
MN changed their language on reciprocity in the Legislature this session. I believe they intended for it to loosen the requirements but the DPS was in charge of deciding what it meant and tightened the rules instead.

I have heard a rumor that some MN officials are PO'd and are looking into it?

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:24:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, that kinda sucks, cause I just finally sent off my Utah paperwork after taking your class a couple months ago.  :)
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:27:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MN changed their language on reciprocity in the Legislature this session. I believe they intended for it to loosen the requirements but the DPS was in charge of deciding what it meant and tightened the rules instead.

I have heard a rumor that some MN officials are PO'd and are looking into it?

View Quote

I would imagine that several MN officials are very POed, and the gun rights groups are even more POed. Very specific words have very specific meanings, they changed the right words and the DPS / AG are intentionally ignoring those meanings. Just as they have been for the last 10? years.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, that kinda sucks, cause I just finally sent off my Utah paperwork after taking your class a couple months ago.  :)
View Quote

I do apologize, but if I could predict the future I would be wealthy and probably living a different lifestyle.

I am considering becoming a MN Instructor if anyone is interested. You have to apply in person though and the permit is $100. I am not pushing this, but if someone spends a lot of time in MN it might be worth it as a current solution.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#8]
MN has a proficiency requirement.  so they added 9 states after not having looked at other states in years, but since UT didn't adhere to their 'level' of training, UT was dropped, which pushes some folks out.  There might be something that can be done, and it is in the works, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I am let down that they fought hard for a legislative win only to have an agency go against the will of the law.  

On the other hand I have never liked the fact that many were ok with the fact that we basically ignored the issue of reciprocity between our state and Minnesota because there was a 'back door' way of getting yet another permit from a different state.  

I am sure in the some what near future our constant vigilance will be rewarded with the renewal of our rights whether it be in the form of constitutional carry or improved reciprocity.  Constitutional carry is great but I had it when stationed in Alaska and any trip to any other state made it so I could not carry.  I live a stones throw from the MN border and it sucks pretty bad that I can't drive in that direction simply because I take a firm stance on having a bit of a choice in my own personal protection.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:48:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I think the state of MN just likes to make things difficult for everyone, especially the states that border them. ND is the only border state that they honor all permits, they will only honor the "enhanced" SD permit. For us they always use the "no live fire" or instructor certification excuse which is a load of BS. I've taken the MN class and the shooting requirements are a joke, and really don't prove that the person is  proficient with a gun.

I was going to get my MN permit since I'm in the state quite a bit, but I decided against it just out of principle because I shouldn't have to spend $180($80 for the class and $100 for the permit)just to pick up one state when most of the other states honor the IA permit.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:58:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think the state of MN just likes to make things difficult for everyone, especially the states that border them. ND is the only border state that they honor all permits, they will only honor the "enhanced" SD permit. For us they always use the "no live fire" or instructor certification excuse which is a load of BS. I've taken the MN class and the shooting requirements are a joke, and really don't prove that the person is  proficient with a gun.

I was going to get my MN permit since I'm in the state quite a bit, but I decided against it just out of principle because I shouldn't have to spend $180($80 for the class and $100 for the permit)just to pick up one state when most of the other states honor the IA permit.
View Quote

I have been debating getting my MN but I think I will not get it.  I will be contacting my US reps/senators to voice me thoughts on how ridiculous it is that I should have to pay a separate tax in each state to protect myself.  I would hope that anyone who has a carry permit in another state and is involved with some kind of violent altercation would in turn find a really really good lawyer and sue the shit out of the state in hopes we can start getting some of these things changed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:57:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I read where some of the MN shooting requirements are only 20 shots at 5 yards. That is no indication of proficiency as mentioned. I am sure some here could probably do it with your eyes closed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I read where some of the MN shooting requirements are only 20 shots at 5 yards. That is no indication of proficiency as mentioned. I am sure some here could probably do it with your eyes closed.
View Quote

What size target at 5 yards
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:52:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

when I took mine you had to shoot at an 11"x8" piece of paper. Grouping didn't matter as long as they stayed on the paper, the main reason for the shooting is so the instructor can see that you are safe with the firearm. I can't remember what the official requirement is but I know it's vague enough that each instructor has his own version he goes by. Here is a shooting requirement from another instructor:

We use a full-sized (25x38) silhouette target: photo

Aiming point is the lightest colored oval in the center. The next oval out, slightly darker, is the 5-point ring. Any shots inside this area, including the center, are five points. One point reduction as shots progress outwards to successively darker areas. Any shots outside the silhouette is a FAIL (injured bystander). You can go to the end of the line and shoot again. A second fail on the same day means you need more practice. Schedule a retest.

You will fire two stages:

Stage 1, Part 1: 5 yards (15 feet)

On command, load and make ready.

On command, fire five rounds in fifteen seconds.

Stage 1, Part 2:

On command, fire five rounds, reload, fire five more rounds in one minute.

Stage 2 is identical to Stage 1, except target is moved back to 7 yards (21 feet).

You must score 105 out of a possible 150 points. If you can group smaller than a turkey platter near center of mass, you will pass on score.

No head shots.

No shots off silhouette.

Raise the gun to the target, do not raise gun above target and "draw down".

IMO these requirements are easy enough that why even bother having you shoot, other than it being a "feel good" measure and for a way to stick it to another state that doesn't require you to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

when I took mine you had to shoot at an 11"x8" piece of paper. Grouping didn't matter as long as they stayed on the paper, the main reason for the shooting is so the instructor can see that you are safe with the firearm. I can't remember what the official requirement is but I know it's vague enough that each instructor has his own version he goes by. Here is a shooting requirement from another instructor:

Aiming point is the lightest colored oval in the center. The next oval out, slightly darker, is the 5-point ring. Any shots inside this area, including the center, are five points. One point reduction as shots progress outwards to successively darker areas. Any shots outside the silhouette is a FAIL (injured bystander). You can go to the end of the line and shoot again. A second fail on the same day means you need more practice. Schedule a retest.

Stage 1, Part 2:

Stage 2 is identical to Stage 1, except target is moved back to 7 yards (21 feet).

You must score 105 out of a possible 150 points. If you can group smaller than a turkey platter near center of mass, you will pass on score.

No head shots.

No shots off silhouette.

IMO these requirements are easy enough that why even bother having you shoot, other than it being a "feel good" measure and for a way to stick it to another state that doesn't require you to shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stage 1, Part 2:

No head shots.

No shots off silhouette.

Instructor told me to shoot at silhouette and I missed every shot.
All my shots were on the small silhouette with instructions in the upper right corner.
They only required familiarization at the time.  Don't know now.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I do apologize, but if I could predict the future I would be wealthy and probably living a different lifestyle.

I am considering becoming a MN Instructor if anyone is interested. You have to apply in person though and the permit is $100. I am not pushing this, but if someone spends a lot of time in MN it might be worth it as a current solution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not your fault at all.    Just seemed ironic since I waited far too long to get the prints done and send things in, which was totally my fault, and then this happens like right after I finally got it done.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I have spent 3 weeks this year up there fishing and would love to get a permit for there.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top