Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 7/25/2015 7:32:59 PM EDT
So how are people's summers going?
Been shooting?
I am going to Ohio in a couple of weeks to visit a buddy and while there will be attending an Appleseed in Piqua; my second, his first.
If things go well, will purchase a Garand at the CMP store while there.
Other than that, not been an outstanding summer but not a shitty one either.
Did sprain the shit out of an ankle right after Memorial Day and still feeling that some.
Watched a guy get a skid loader bucket dropped free-fall style from about 12 inches up on his foot the other day, bottom edge of the bucket, not the flat bottom.
Figured he'd have broken about every metatarsal but not a single break at all.
Got a new cordless drill last week.
Planning on seeing the Minion Movie sometime soon; kind of a sensationalized, animated movie about Joel's life I'm hoping.
Pretty much sums up my summer.
Tells us about yours.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you have a pretty good time coming up I would love to pick up a Garand soon.
Today was moving day for me, I have left the Des Moines area and I have moved to NE Iowa (New Hampton) I have to bust butt to look for a new job, I was very heartfelt leaving my old one, Pretty great people.
other than that I have been working on selling my house in Des Moines, I had it sold and it was supposed to close on the 29th of July but the loan for the buyer fell threw, put it back on the market and sold again within 4 days.
I have learned I have way more junk than I need so I have been downsizing quite a bit.
I have had all my firearm buys on hold but I have a few in mind as soon as I get established with job ASAP
In the new house we have been painting lots, I had to do some drywall repair. it needs carpet but that will all have to wait for later. And we are trying to plan and layout a 40x60 shop for next spring/fall since we are having to put it into the cornfield a bit need to make sure no crops are going.
I have had no vacation this summer so thats a bummer I would have liked to done something this summer but I do not think thats in the cards.

The old lady has been having back issues and talking about having surgery, Something about buldged disks and one being chipped and rubbing on the nerve for the RH leg. so with all her issues with moving it has been 2x the labor for myself and boy am I ready to get the whole process finished.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#2]
You've driven by my place recently then; probably.
Close to by it anyway; I live in Rockford; if you came up 35 to the Avenue and across to New Hampton, you went about 4 miles north of me.
Give me a holler sometime and we can see about meeting up and doing some shootin'.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Got a fucking sweet promotion and raise at work.

Bought a lot of knives this summer. That's always fun!
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Other than putting a 50 round burst through one of the MG-42's earlier this summer I haven't fired a shot...or taken the daughter out shooting.  I need to rectify that but once again it'll have wait another couple weeks as she leaves for a Y Camp next weekend.  Someday I'd love to go visit the CMP North store and see the racks of Garands they have for sale and then stop by Ohio Ordnance Works and see all their full auto goodies they have for sale that I'd love to own.
View Quote

MG42 huh? How much money do I need to bring the next time I come to Des Moines to visit my sister in law?

OP, if you're going to CMP maybe I'll send some money with you to cherry pick me a bayonet-if you're willing.Wouldn't be an issue at all to swing through Rockford on the way to or from work. Here's the M1 they sent me earlier this month. Service grade, MW1+, TE2. Shoots nicely.

Other than the Truck of Happiness bringing me a new old rifle I got a phone call last night, my youngest cousin has a healthy baby girl, things are good.

ETA-LOW50S, drive the 14 miles to Alta Vista sometime and we'll take my M1 out.
" />
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:23:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

MG42 huh? How much money do I need to bring the next time I come to Des Moines to visit my sister in law?

OP, if you're going to CMP maybe I'll send some money with you to cherry pick me a bayonet-if you're willing.Wouldn't be an issue at all to swing through Rockford on the way to or from work. Here's the M1 they sent me earlier this month. Service grade, MW1+, TE2. Shoots nicely.

Other than the Truck of Happiness bringing me a new old rifle I got a phone call last night, my youngest cousin has a healthy baby girl, things are good.

http://<a href=http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh32/R-Shack/rifle1_zpsfhxdbhkl.jpg</a>" />
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Other than putting a 50 round burst through one of the MG-42's earlier this summer I haven't fired a shot...or taken the daughter out shooting.  I need to rectify that but once again it'll have wait another couple weeks as she leaves for a Y Camp next weekend.  Someday I'd love to go visit the CMP North store and see the racks of Garands they have for sale and then stop by Ohio Ordnance Works and see all their full auto goodies they have for sale that I'd love to own.

http://<a href=http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh32/R-Shack/rifle1_zpsfhxdbhkl.jpg</a>" />

Don't toy with me I'll be in the car in a heartbeat let me know what I need to bring !
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Don't toy with me I'll be in the car in a heartbeat let me know what I need to bring !
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any interesting guns and some common sense. Lighting the grill could be arranged afterwards too.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:13:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Our youngest first time to the range.  She's 5

Our 9 year old (another lefty in the family and the best shooter of our girls...coincidence or not)

Our 10 year old girl

We've done a lot of shooting as a family this year as well as traveling to a few F class matches.  Mom and our 14 year old boy shot out mama's "sprish" rifle barrel and we are waiting on her new custom ordered barrel so we can get them back into the long range action.

Our 9 year old fishing

My most recent shooting video
First round hit clay pigeon at 390 yards

Luckily from a financial and time stand point shooting/reloading is my only hobby.  The whole family loves it so it works out well I can enjoy my hobby as much as I like while spending time with the family.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#9]
We went to the air show yesterday in MC.  Pretty good show they put on and it was free. It was a good turn out and I ran into the airport manager and she was pretty happy with it as well so hopefully they will be back.  I am pretty sure the runways are long enough to accommodate jets and their support crews and it would be awesome to get one of the service flight teams in there.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Any interesting guns and some common sense. Lighting the grill could be arranged afterwards too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have some steel we can shoot
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We went to the air show yesterday in MC.  Pretty good show they put on and it was free. It was a good turn out and I ran into the airport manager and she was pretty happy with it as well so hopefully they will be back.  I am pretty sure the runways are long enough to accommodate jets and their support crews and it would be awesome to get one of the service flight teams in there.
View Quote

They don't land there anymore, but their runways are long enough for a DC9(unless they've been shortened)-my dad flew out on one in the mid 80s-he worked for International and they flew him out to drive a semi back. Anything that needs that length runway or shorter would be no problem.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Slipped a disc in my back in May, haven't been to a single USPSA shoot all summer, but should be back next weekend.

I did manage to pick up some new optics and get them sighted in before I had to crawl back to the pickup. Two new vortex jobbers (HS-LR, PST) and a Burris Veracity (was too cheap to go XTR II) all in MOA.

Finished my 19.5" 6.5CM build, slapped a GAP 3-color camo rattle-can job on the AICS (PITA, but turned out ok), little projects like that. My only raffle winnings this summer has been a used FNX-45; it's 'meh'
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Slipped a disc in my back in May, haven't been to a single USPSA shoot all summer, but should be back next weekend.

I did manage to pick up some new optics and get them sighted in before I had to crawl back to the pickup. Two new vortex jobbers (HS-LR, PST) and a Burris Veracity (was too cheap to go XTR II) all in MOA.

Finished my 19.5" 6.5CM build, slapped a GAP 3-color camo rattle-can job on the AICS (PITA, but turned out ok), little projects like that. My only raffle winnings this summer has been a used FNX-45; it's 'meh'
View Quote

Pics dude
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Can't get to any hosting sites from work. Will try to remember when I get home.

No laughing, I still need to re-rattle-can the barreled action, I stripped it to go w/ something new, but haven't decided what I want. I also rattle canned a parts-bin AR I put together, but I actually like it more than I thought I would. Came out more almond than tan though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Mostly trap shooting this summer.  Easier on my eyes than pistols.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

My KS-5 Special hasn't been out of my safe in years, I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been busy working and fishing!
went to north dakota for the first time to go fishing
went to canada
went to minnesota
and LOTO in missouri
so I am fished out haha

just did relay for life in my mom's name
walked 10 miles

have been shooting a little bit
started my first precision rifle build

sorry for the bad pic

remington 700 sps tactical 20" .223 cut and threaded
HS precision PSS
weaver rail
leupold rings ( gonna change with scope)
bushnell scope ( gonna change to PA 4-14?)
harris s bipod
badger big knob
want a timney trigger!!!!!!
maybe a bottom metal?

shoots alright I have only stretched it out to 300yds and got 10" groups with the couple of boxes of PMC bronze I had ( I know I need better ammo )
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have been busy working and fishing!
went to north dakota for the first time to go fishing
went to canada
went to minnesota
and LOTO in missouri
so I am fished out haha

just did relay for life in my mom's name
walked 10 miles

have been shooting a little bit
started my first precision rifle build
http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg504/Bhouse10/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150727_200725_085_zps65da9hzw.jpg
sorry for the bad pic

remington 700 sps tactical 20" .223 cut and threaded
HS precision PSS
weaver rail
leupold rings ( gonna change with scope)
bushnell scope ( gonna change to PA 4-14?)
harris s bipod
badger big knob
want a timney trigger!!!!!!
maybe a bottom metal?

shoots alright I have only stretched it out to 300yds and got 10" groups with the couple of boxes of PMC bronze I had ( I know I need better ammo )
View Quote

Cool rifle hopefully septic can put on a long range shoot this fall.  If he does I will come down for sure bring that out and ping some steel out at 500 and up!  I will bring along what ever toys I have and any IFC member can definitely shoot my stuff.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:32:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Before you buy a timney trigger I suggest you try a few if you get a chance.  I don't know why the Timney 510 is so popular I hated it.  I'm not a trigger snob either I shoot mil spec ar15 triggers just fine and all of my glocks have factory stock triggers and I shoot them fine.  For some reason the timney 510 and I didn't get along.  I don't know if it was the width or what, but I didn't like it.  It is crisp though I will say that.  For a hunting trigger sure, but for a "match" trigger it is not.   I haven't tried many bolt action triggers, but now I have the Timney calvin elite and I really like it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#20]
I would also suggest saving your money for now and holding off on things like the big bolt knob, bottom metal, etc. and put that money into optics. I'm on my (3rd?) round of upgrading optics and I probably would have saved a few thousand dollars just buying nicer stuff to begin with. I know everyone says that, but it's especially true with optics. They will also make the rifle more enjoyable to shoot.

Chassis systems/stocks are getting cheaper all the time. Spend on optics/ammo now, cool stuff later IMO. I already made that mistake (several times).
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would also suggest saving your money for now and holding off on things like the big bolt knob, bottom metal, etc. and put that money into optics. I'm on my (3rd?) round of upgrading optics and I probably would have saved a few thousand dollars just buying nicer stuff to begin with. I know everyone says that, but it's especially true with optics. They will also make the rifle more enjoyable to shoot.

Chassis systems/stocks are getting cheaper all the time. Spend on optics/ammo now, cool stuff later IMO. I already made that mistake (several times).
View Quote

yep I am aiming for a vortex HST but I really am interested in PA 4-14 mil mil scope its a FFP scope for under $300
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Before you buy a timney trigger I suggest you try a few if you get a chance.  I don't know why the Timney 510 is so popular I hated it.  I'm not a trigger snob either I shoot mil spec ar15 triggers just fine and all of my glocks have factory stock triggers and I shoot them fine.  For some reason the timney 510 and I didn't get along.  I don't know if it was the width or what, but I didn't like it.  It is crisp though I will say that.  For a hunting trigger sure, but for a "match" trigger it is not.   I haven't tried many bolt action triggers, but now I have the Timney calvin elite and I really like it.
View Quote

what other triggers would you recommend? I have the x mark pro recall trigger right now and have shot with it no problem but its pretty heavy and gritty
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I work the Ames Ikes every Wednesday.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

what other triggers would you recommend? I have the x mark pro recall trigger right now and have shot with it no problem but its pretty heavy and gritty
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly I'm not the best guy to recommend a trigger because I haven't tried a bunch of them.  I just know that even as popular as the Timney 510 is I wasn't happy with it.  I do really like the Timney calvin elite, but it is the only other bolt gun trigger I've tried.  That is why I suggest you try a few different ones if you get the chance and decide what YOU like.  You may like the Timney 510 as many people seem to.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#25]
PM me your phone number and I can send you a pic or two as I comb through them.
If there is one you like, I can get it and you can get it after I get  back.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I got all final items out of the house in Des Moines, and I had to install new gutter on the house for pre sale items, and on the way back up north the truck died on the way so that sucked, it was very warm and the dog was not very happy with the heat. So we had to call some family to come with the truck to take the trailer so we could get it unloaded. I got a new job up north.
I have been doing some demo in the basement to fix the very very poorly constructed walls in the new house, I need to get everything torn down so I can frame new walls so I can make a new gun room and make a office for her. I really need to get out and put some rounds threw the guns. I need to pick up a .22 rifle or a 17 to handle all the little rabbits around.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Where you gonna be working?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Where you gonna be working?
View Quote

Zips
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Got a couple of friends that work there.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I work just outside of new Hampton. Didn't realize there was so many people close by me.  I live in the country near Rockford.  Kinda long drive to work for me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I got all final items out of the house in Des Moines, and I had to install new gutter on the house for pre sale items, and on the way back up north the truck died on the way so that sucked, it was very warm and the dog was not very happy with the heat. So we had to call some family to come with the truck to take the trailer so we could get it unloaded. I got a new job up north.
I have been doing some demo in the basement to fix the very very poorly constructed walls in the new house, I need to get everything torn down so I can frame new walls so I can make a new gun room and make a office for her. I really need to get out and put some rounds threw the guns. I need to pick up a .22 rifle or a 17 to handle all the little rabbits around.
View Quote

There's a Marlin 99M2 at EZ Pawn in Mason City marked $139 with a scope, and a newer Marlin bolt action .22 with tube magazine and synthetic stock (not sure of model) marked somewhere around $149 at the same place. Either would be well worth buying.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I remember you p.m.ing me a while back about local ranges and gun shops.  Where you able to check any out?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I remember you p.m.ing me a while back about local ranges and gun shops.  Where you able to check any out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I have not been able to really search the area yet for local shops. I had to Run to cedar falls on sunday so I stopped at scheels and looked at firearms quite a bit selection, they had a 5R that I wouldnt mind owning but I may as well just have my 700 re worked and have a better product out the door. they had a few used rifles also that I thought about picking up until I saw the price on them they seemed pretty high on the used stuff so I passed there was a 10/22 for $200 on the new rack but I have been torn between a 10/22 or a 17.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I haven't bought any guns lately but I just ordered a semi receiver (and more mags) for one of my VZ-61 Scorpion parts kits that I'll probably SBR and then go from there later on.  Just ordered 1,920 rounds (4 cans) of .303 ammo and may order some more once it arrives and I check it out...never know when I might get one of the Bren kits built.
View Quote

How does one sbr in Iowa? I really want to sbr my 9mm ar.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I haven't bought any guns lately but I just ordered a semi receiver (and more mags) for one of my VZ-61 Scorpion parts kits that I'll probably SBR and then go from there later on.  Just ordered 1,920 rounds (4 cans) of .303 ammo and may order some more once it arrives and I check it out...never know when I might get one of the Bren kits built.

You become a special occupation tax holder.  It is a very expensive process that most folks won't go through.  We are gonna have a good fight next year for gun rights and hopefully those kinds of toys will be included in what the friendly government will allow us plebes to have.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top