Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 6/14/2015 9:21:24 AM EDT
Glad no one else was hurt.  I know the last time I was in the food court the mall security I saw only had tasers, WTF Over......

http://wqad.com/2015/06/12/shooting-shuts-down-mall-in-coralville-iowa/
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#1]
http://wqad.com/2015/06/12/shooting-shuts-down-mall-in-coralville-iowa/

The guys fb page is pretty much all pro gun stuff
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunately, that is probably the only thing that will be highlighted.

There is nothing that could have stopped this from happening.

I conceal carry at the mall whenever I go there. And for this reason.

Stuff like this can happen anywhere and to anyone and is unfortunately becoming more commonplace in our society.

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:16:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Stuff like this can happen anywhere and to anyone and is unfortunately becoming more commonplace in our society.

View Quote

What do you mean it could t have been stopped? Anyone with a CCW (and good aim) could have stopped him. At least kept him from getting off more than one shot, which could have saved the girls life.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 7:57:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What do you mean it could t have been stopped? Anyone with a CCW (and good aim) could have stopped him. At least kept him from getting off more than one shot, which could have saved the girls life.
View Quote

Not saying that it is not possible, but I can attest that I'd be hard pressed to put down someone who fired off 3 consecutive rounds before they were actually able to fire the 2nd round.  I suppose if the guy took his time, or if he visibly brandished the weapon beforehand or something so that there was warning/time to prepare. But If it was - walk up and pull out gun and *pop* *pop* *pop*, I'd still be processing what just happened while the guy was putting his gun back down (maybe that makes me a bad CCW holder, but its admittedly the truth)
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Exactly,

We can armchair quarterback this all day long but we were not there and all the details of this case have not been released.  

BLUF - Its up to the CCW carrier to use good judgment and be justified in doing so if you decide to use deadly force.

What we do know - The shooter specifically targeted the victim and shot her in the back and then ran off.  

As previously stated if he presented no indicators that were noticed before the shooter executed his motives what are your options after he shot her?  

I would think really hard about considering shooting him in the back on the run out of a crowed food court with multiple terrified people trying to get away from the source of the gunfire.

Even trying to take a shot in a crowed food court is going to be difficult due to your distance to the shooter and how many "moving" civilians are between you and the threat that might be injured in the resulting cross fire.

Not your job to pursue the guy just make sure the threat is over (i.e. he doesn't come back for round 2) and provide first aid to the victim if possible.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How fast can you draw from concealment and get a good first round hit?  It takes me about 2.3 seconds and that's with me knowing the buzzer is coming (albeit at a random time).  Even if I was staring at the guy as he was acting, I'd be slower than that because my brain would have to process the information.  It wouldn't be queued up to draw and fire but rather observe the action, have the "oh shit" moment, then act.  I'm not confident that I could have drawn and engaged him prior to him getting his three shots off.

This should be a reminder to all of us that bad people WILL do bad things ANYWHERE and that vigilance (situational awareness) is of paramount importance.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#7]
How many want to pop off even one round in a crowed mall?
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#8]
KCCI is saying he had a permit to carry. Bet they jumped for joy when they found that out.

If the guy yelled Aloha Snackbar it would just be workplace violence.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Somebody tell VPC so they can update their CONCEALED CARRY KILLERS.

Even though this guy had to go home and get his gun so he could murder some girl who shot him down.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Any news on the motive?  

Coincidence that he was fired as a mall security guard there immediately prior to this?
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Any news on the motive?  

Coincidence that he was fired as a mall security guard there immediately prior to this?
View Quote

Papers reported that he was fired because the she filed a report that he had been harassing / hitting on her for months and wouldn't take "go away" for an answer.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Bottom line    - she should have been granted her own CCW   But her defense would have been a piece of paper and a cell phone.

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Papers reported that he was fired because the she filed a report that he had been harassing / hitting on her for months and wouldn't take "go away" for an answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any news on the motive?  

Friends of the family are saying that she had given her 2 weeks notice and Friday was her LAST day. She was moving to Grinnell to work at a children's clinic or something of that matter this week.
Not that anybody could have predicted this would happen, but the timing of his termination was unfortunate. Had they waited 1 day, she would no longer have been working at the mall and he likely would not have had the opportunity to carry out this tragic act of violence.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#14]
It's going to come out that this guy was on some prescription psychoactive meds I'm sure.  I remember seeing him "in uniform" at the mall and there was something odd about him.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's going to come out that this guy was on some prescription psychoactive meds I'm sure.  I remember seeing him "in uniform" at the mall and there was something odd about him.
View Quote

Fairly safe bet.  I lost track but up until the CT massacre virtually all of them were on meds.  Never found out about that one. You see all the ads constantly on TV and the side affects and you kind of wonder why anybody would take the dang things.  Drug happy country we live in!
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I dont remember seeing him but the wife did and said the same thing
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:34:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not saying that it is not possible, but I can attest that I'd be hard pressed to put down someone who fired off 3 consecutive rounds before they were actually able to fire the 2nd round.  I suppose if the guy took his time, or if he visibly brandished the weapon beforehand or something so that there was warning/time to prepare. But If it was - walk up and pull out gun and *pop* *pop* *pop*, I'd still be processing what just happened while the guy was putting his gun back down (maybe that makes me a bad CCW holder, but its admittedly the truth)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's very true. I guess I like to think a good guy with a gun always has a chance. Understanding that taking a shot, even IF you were able to process the situation fast enough, wouldn't always be the best idea...with all the potential of collateral damage and a stray round or whatever.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:38:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Exactly,

We can armchair quarterback this all day long but we were not there and all the details of this case have not been released.  

BLUF - Its up to the CCW carrier to use good judgment and be justified in doing so if you decide to use deadly force.

What we do know - The shooter specifically targeted the victim and shot her in the back and then ran off.  

As previously stated if he presented no indicators that were noticed before the shooter executed his motives what are your options after he shot her?  

I would think really hard about considering shooting him in the back on the run out of a crowed food court with multiple terrified people trying to get away from the source of the gunfire.

Even trying to take a shot in a crowed food court is going to be difficult due to your distance to the shooter and how many "moving" civilians are between you and the threat that might be injured in the resulting cross fire.

Not your job to pursue the guy just make sure the threat is over (i.e. he doesn't come back for round 2) and provide first aid to the victim if possible.
View Quote

I agree 100%. My thought would be, who's to say he doesn't start taking out others on his way out. Not my job to shoot him in the back, but I'd like to think I'd have drawn and followed at the very least.  Easy for me to say, actually being in the situation would be a different story I'm sure.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top