Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 5/16/2015 3:12:45 PM EDT
Need some help finding a good range, any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Princeton has a public range just north of QC, Blue Grass and Milan both have private (membership required) ranges as well. Not a lot of ranges to speak about in the local area unfortunately!
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Spring for a membership at a private range.

Totally worth it IMO (not from your area so I can't make any solid recs.)

Also check out this map: http://iowafc.org/ranges/
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]
What type of shooting do you like to do? The QC area ranges are good for some types of shooting and absolutely suck for others.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 10:55:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Princeton isn't a bad range, but for God's sake, go at goofy times or during the middle of a workday. Going during the weekends will have you looking down the barrel of some retard's gun and/or your targets getting blasted to hell regardless of where the other shooters are.

Range is nice when abandoned, flipping scary when packed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I like to shoot 300 to 500 yards if I can. Pistol out to 25 yards, and in natural light!
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I like to shoot 300 to 500 yards if I can. Pistol out to 25 yards, and in natural light!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

300 to 500 yards is tough around here on public/private ranges. Best bet is to make friends with local farmers or get to know guys in the area who have access to private land. I was shooting with a few local guys Friday night out to 800 yards (we had 950+) just west of the QC area. Best part is it was just us and we could do whatever we wanted!
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Come on over to Milan Rifle Club. $175 a year to join, but it's easily worth the price. The majority are good people and actually know safety. Unlike some/most of the public ranges in the area.

If you'd ever like to take a look around, feel free to holler at me on here.

Dan
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#8]
As was said, the public range at Princeton is down right scary unless you go middle of the day on a work day. I went out once on a bitterly cold Febuary afternoon, shot ten rounds, and left due to major safety concerns. I didn't even bother to retrieve my targets.....

I joined Oak Hill Gun Club in Blue Grass and it is a very nice place. Rifle only goes out to 200 yards though. The people so far have been great to shoot with and are very safety minded. Cost is $65 per year and requires that you attend a safety meeting as well as being an NRA member (they can sign you up on the spot if you aren't a member already). Open dawn till dusk every day of the year.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Come on over to Milan Rifle Club. $175 a year to join, but it's easily worth the price. The majority are good people and actually know safety. Unlike some/most of the public ranges in the area.

Dan
View Quote

This. And it is worth the money. Has a 600 yd. line.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Dan
View Quote

i hear all kinds of good stuff about the milan range.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dan

It is a great range. :) This goes for everyone on here, feel free to holler if anyone wants a looksie. The cowboy St. Jude Charity is the 21st-24th. Always a great time. As well as the 30-31st High Power ISRA State Shoot 200/300/600 yards. Both are good times to take a look as well.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:23:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It is a great range. :) This goes for everyone on here, feel free to holler if anyone wants a looksie. The cowboy St. Jude Charity is the 21st-24th. Always a great time. As well as the 30-31st High Power ISRA State Shoot 200/300/600 yards. Both are good times to take a look as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dan

I'm going to try to make it over for at least one day of the F class match on June 6 and 7.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Milan is a good range, well run, clean and safe.  However, the 300 and 600 yard ranges (and to a lesser extent the 200) are often closed because they shoot over other ranges.

Also look into New Windsor, they go out to 1000.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top