Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2015 12:46:19 PM EDT

http://www.silencershop.com/top-10-questions

After perusing the link above, I noticed the following

2. WHICH STATES ALLOW SILENCER OWNERSHIP?

The following states allow private ownership of silencers: AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MO, MS, MT, ND, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV and WY.

Of the remaining states; CA and IA may allow silencer ownership for people in possession of a valid FFL.
View Quote

Does this imply that if I got my FFL/SOT and NFA / CLASS 3 license in Iowa and did a few transfers here an there, I could legally own and use suppressors here in Iowa.

Would I also be able to shoot them at public ranges?

I'd much rather the Senate just pass the stupid SF427 bill already, but just wondering if this would be another alternative.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does this imply that if I got my FFL/SOT and NFA / CLASS 3 license in Iowa and did a few transfers here an there, I could legally own and use suppressors here in Iowa.

I'd much rather the Senate just pass the stupid SF427 bill already, but just wondering if this would be another alternative.
View Quote

yes, if you are a valid FFL/SOT per BATFE regulations
yes
it's a VERY expensive alternative. ask septic about the costs of licensing, business administration, and regulatory compliance to maintain a valid FFL/SOT even when you are in it for the business. Doing it w/o profit coming in would be a rich man's game.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The following states allow private ownership of silencers: AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MO, MS, MT, ND, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV and WY.

Of the remaining states; CA and IA may allow silencer ownership for people in possession of a valid FFL.
View Quote

View Quote

Septic gonna have a great time explaining why this is a long and expensive process
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I was talking with a customer at work today, he's new to Iowa, transplant from Florida, and we were talking shooting ranges in the Des Moines area.

He then went on to tell me about a few of his rifles, and suppressors. I told him I really hoped he didn't bring them in state, because there is no NFA allowed without an FFL.

He tried to argue that because they're already his, he can keep them in state. I advised him to find somewhere in an NFA friendly state to get them stored, because if he gets caught in Iowa, he's fucked.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was talking with a customer at work today, he's new to Iowa, transplant from Florida, and we were talking shooting ranges in the Des Moines area.

He then went on to tell me about a few of his rifles, and suppressors. I told him I really hoped he didn't bring them in state, because there is no NFA allowed without an FFL.

He tried to argue that because they're already his, he can keep them in state. I advised him to find somewhere in an NFA friendly state to get them stored, because if he gets caught in Iowa, he's fucked.
View Quote

I suggest he buy a boat. I've heard cans don't float well no matter what state they are in.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:44:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I suggest he buy a boat. I've heard cans don't float well no matter what state they are in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL!

Just goes to show though, how some people who truly believe they're in line with the laws, are committing felonies.

As dumb and unconstitutional as the felony might be in this case.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#6]
My father in law is getting his ffl, so this is relevant to my interests.

I am curious how this whole process works, does anyone have a link to some info regarding ffl's and suppressors in Iowa?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

no.  you cannot.  your ffl/corporation could.  and as an RP (responsible person) within the ffl/corp you could use them.  you would not own them.

besides it being illegal, it is a huge costly pain in the ass to do it that way.  you're better off to change the law so everyone benefits.  that's what we're doing this year and still are.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

no.  you cannot.  your ffl/corporation could.  and as an RP (responsible person) within the ffl/corp you could use them.  you would not own them.

besides it being illegal, it is a huge costly pain in the ass to do it that way.  you're better off to change the law so everyone benefits.  that's what we're doing this year and still are.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks Septic!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

CCA FTW
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top