Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 4/24/2015 7:26:11 AM EDT
I'm leaving for a class today in NE, coming from MI. A long portion of my trip will be through IA. Im an SOT (class 3) dealer and was hoping to bring one of my suppressors for the class. From my understanding, suppressors aren't legal (yet) in IA. As an SOT, will I have any problems just passing through? Can anyone point me to an exception for dealers traveling through (or other law abiding citizens passing through)?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#1]
The two exceptions that may apply to you are:

e. Any person who under the laws of this state and the United States, is lawfully engaged
in the business of supplying those authorized to possess such devices.
f. Any person, firm or corporation who under the laws of this state and the United States
is lawfully engaged in the improvement, invention or manufacture of firearms.
View Quote

Plenty of SOT's in IA with suppressors.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#2]
if i remember right, there was a time when the DPS was to be notified when heading through the state, but of the many times i looked i could never find that in code, admin or otherwise...

be able to show your documentation is my advice.  that's what i do when i transport my NFA stuff to/through other states unless there is something specific i'm required to do...

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if i remember right, there was a time when the DPS was to be notified when heading through the state, but of the many times i looked i could never find that in code, admin or otherwise...

be able to show your documentation is my advice.  that's what i do when i transport my NFA stuff to/through other states unless there is something specific i'm required to do...

View Quote

This.  I keep all F2s and F3s along with SOT and FFLs (01 and 07) on my phone.  It really reduces the time spent explaining why there's a full auto Mk46 on the range.  The question that usually follows once the documentation is shown is, "Can I shoot it?"
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This.  I keep all F2s and F3s along with SOT and FFLs (01 and 07) on my phone.  It really reduces the time spent explaining why there's a full auto Mk46 on the range.  The question that usually follows once the documentation is shown is, "Can I shoot it?"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's what i've done for years.  i have all my forms uploaded to dropbox, so no matter what happens to my paper copies, i can have access to them should i need them for print, download, etc.  really good way to cover your rump i think.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:44:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

that's what i've done for years.  i have all my forms uploaded to dropbox, so no matter what happens to my paper copies, i can have access to them should i need them for print, download, etc.  really good way to cover your rump i think.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like to have copies in local storage in case I'm somewhere I don't get data service and can't get to the cloud.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top