Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm guilty of not getting an 80% yet
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 5:31:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I am guilty of buying two 80%.  But one is a backup in case I screw the first one up.  Or so I told the wife.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought two just for this event if it happens.  If not I'll buy a mill and do them myself.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it will happen I will be there. I'm new to the 80% deal. Should I go forged or billet, and is there any particular manufacturer that you guys would recommend?

thanks

-VB
View Quote

either is fine.  none are inherently tougher than others in practical application.  some simply have different shapes, ergonomics, and features.  essentially if you like that way it'll look, it won't matter whether it was forged or a it came from a blocked part.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 7:35:44 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-ar-15-lower-receiver.html

Looks like 3 for $29 each is back on.....
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-ar-15-lower-receiver.html

Looks like 3 for $29 each is back on.....
View Quote
Thanks

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Just ordered a set of those $29 ones.
Did I miss seeing it or has a date been set yet?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just ordered a set of those $29 ones.
Did I miss seeing it or has a date been set yet?
View Quote

no date yet...  wanting to get through my rush and back order log and then we can hammer this out.  that ok with you guys?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Fine by me... At your convenience since you're gracious enough to host!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:20:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fine by me... At your convenience since you're gracious enough to host!
View Quote

I second that.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Seems the shipping price on tactical machining is high unless you purchase 5 or more.

But tactical machining makes great items.

80percentarms.com has lowers usually

I just purchased a jig and a cerra lower at www.righttobear.com as they had a sale. Lower looks pretty nice. Good luck with the party. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#12]
This is a pretty awesome idea. Wish I had seen this sooner to get in on a 3 for 29 deal.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

This is a pretty awesome idea. Wish I had seen this sooner to get in on a 3 for 29 deal.
View Quote
I just went to the link and you still can get the 3 for $29 deal it seemed to me. To the door it was $101.35. That's $33.78 a piece after all said and done. So by my math that's $4.78 more a piece to have shipped. ..Well that's here in God's country ....Quasqueton

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:14:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey Septic,

Any update on your time line?

thanks man
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hey Septic,

Any update on your time line?

thanks man
View Quote

unsure.  it'll be after the leaves start to fall most likely.  i assume that's ok with everyone.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:27:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Just fine by me. I know it's dependent on your scheduling and work load. I just have my fingers crossed that it's a non-work weekend!!

After the 80% lowers have been done by their owners, what are the legalities as far as having somebody else work on them? Like cerakoting, engraving, etc...?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#17]
If I can make the party (when the leaves fall it's hunting season after all) I may be able to bring my pantograph engraver.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Block, script, monogram, I even have some greek letters.  Size for most lettering is around 3/8" high down to real damned small, however I do have some fancy lettering and symbols that are larger.  As far as depth, that is controlled by how hard you press on the stylus, I've never measured depth but it is deep enough you can feel it.  With aluminum, the problem with engraving too deep is that a bead is pushed up around the edge of the lettering and it ends up looking like crap.  I can go over the engraving multiple times until we start getting to the point of deformation then quit to get as deep as possible.  The lettering will be deep enough that it will still be very visible after cerakote or gunkote.  Type of aluminum may make a difference also, I might take a strip of Al and engrave it as an example and bring it with.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#21]
awesome
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I bought two just for this event if it happens.  If not I'll buy a mill and do them myself.
View Quote

I like your style.

I'd love to get in on this but that's a long drive....
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm in no hurry, even if I do my own I'll save one out of the three just for this event.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 5:57:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Keeping the thread alive? And fingers crossed?
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#25]
sure.  i'm moving in a second mill, so having two will be great.  ;)
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 11:58:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm in if I get around to getting an 80%er bought.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm in unless the date conflicts with something else already on the calendar.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#28]
New year so bumping to keep thread alive, unless Septic says to let it die.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Where would this be taking place at, or have I missed the party already?

Just wondering if it would be close enough for me to drive from SE IA to partake in the event.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Just wondering if it would be close enough for me to drive from SE IA to partake in the event.

Thanks.
View Quote
I believe Septic volunteered but has had a crazy busy schedule.

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

That is the way I read it, but wasn't sure what the location of it is. Just wanted to see of it was within a reasonable driving distance for me to participate when the time comes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Controlled Chaos Arms is in Baxter.

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
That is the way I read it, but wasn't sure what the location of it is. Just wanted to see of it was within a reasonable driving distance for me to participate when the time comes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

sorry about that..as said above its in baxter

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#34]
we can do it.  i have my lawyer working up something now so everything is clear on WHO is making their lowers and the fact that as a manufacturer, i am not.

we're good.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

we can do it.  i have my lawyer working up something now so everything is clear on WHO is making their lowers and the fact that as a manufacturer, i am not.

we're good.
View Quote
Wow, the lengths you go to help fellow enthusiast.  We are so lucky to have you in our state. Thanks so much. Brown nosing session over

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:29:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Is the plan still to do a potluck? I was given to understand that bacon is allowed....
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Is the plan still to do a potluck? I was given to understand that bacon is allowed....
View Quote

YES!  AND...  bacon is not only acceptable, but encouraged...
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So this is acceptable?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#40]
So, is there a date/time yet? Do we order the lower 1st and bring it, or can we get one there?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

So, is there a date/time yet? Do we order the lower 1st and bring it, or can we get one there?
View Quote
No date and time yet. I as well as others ordered them so I would do the same if you want one. Guessing some will have extras but wouldn't count on it

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

you'd need to snag yours prior to coming.  or if you bought it, it couldn't be from me that day...  sorry to make it complex, but atf has their rules, so i have to adhere to them...
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#43]
A pic to keep the thread alive.
80percentarms billet lower, PSA kit. I know, the Center Point red dot sucks, it's just something I already had and put it on to test things out.
" />
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 12:23:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#45]

I've been wanting to do some 80% lowers for a while.  I work at a machine shop and I could do them on my free time. Was gonna make a fixture and write up a program and do them on a machine that's not being used.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#46]
This thread has got me interested in machining one myself.  Does anyone sell them locally?  I'm in the Cedar Rapids area.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This thread has got me interested in machining one myself.  Does anyone sell them locally?  I'm in the Cedar Rapids area.
View Quote

Never seen them locally, best bet is wait for a $29 each for 3 sale to come around again and order one, even better if you get some friends in on a group buy. That's what I'd have done but the one above sort of fell into my lap.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
SWEET!!!!!!  

I have not ordered a 80% receiver and don't know if I will as I have too many stripped receivers laying around unfinished.  Either way I'll be there if I can get it off from work or not on vacation to our property in Idaho.
View Quote

you're buying some.  i just placed an order for some in your name and they're being shipped here.  

so you can quit boobing about how you're not going to do any since i just shoved them down your throat.

mkay pumpkin?

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Just another post to keep this fresh.

.....and it's nice to feel included.
Page / 4
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top