User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/13/2015 10:23:31 AM EDT
thread started...
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#1]
does it matter if the lower is billet or cast? I have a billet 80% currently and was thinking about picking up one or two cast ones as well.

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
does it matter if the lower is billet or cast? I have a billet 80% currently and was thinking about picking up one or two cast ones as well.

View Quote

I didn't use a jig. For mine bc the mag well was wider then forged so I have to just use a vise or buy jig from hell fire armory to fit the lower
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 2:09:21 PM EDT
[#3]
If someone wants to go in on this deal I'd be in for one.  $29 80% Lowers buy three
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If someone wants to go in on this deal I'd be in for one.  $29 80% Lowers buy three
View Quote

I'd be in for 1 as well.  We'd need 1 more.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im in
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:14:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Shows out of stock currently
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I will take one.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#8]
OK, I missed out, I should have just bought them.  I'll keep my eye on it.  Catfish and stewie if I get three you are in for them two.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#9]
What's the cost for the clinic and/or machining?
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#10]
http://aresarmor.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=TACMHRW1&sid=95vtnphj352bn7d346ge144l4bdsgp2c
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OK, I missed out, I should have just bought them.  I'll keep my eye on it.  Catfish and stewie if I get three you are in for them two.
View Quote

I'm in if they come back into stock.  Thanks for keeping on this.  I have plenty of lowers but have never completed an 80%er.  I hope it works out.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

if anyone finds a smokin' deal like that, post up ASAP.  

thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What's the cost for the clinic and/or machining?
View Quote

$0

typically we ask folks bring something for a potluck lunch.  if you guys are ok with that, then we'll do it like that...
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Blemished 80%'s back for $29
http://www.tacticalmachining.com/blemished-80-ar-15-lower.html

AR10's for $89 also...
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd be very interested! Been meaning to try this out for a while now. Where would this take place? Im in WDM and would need to purchase a lower first
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks accurate!  Catfish and Stewie, we got blems, if you're cool with that, cool, if not, that's cool too.
Quoted:
I'd be very interested! Been meaning to try this out for a while now. Where would this take place? Im in WDM and would need to purchase a lower first
View Quote

This is going to take place in a guy's shop outside of Baxter Iowa.  Sounds like a good time, Ill be there.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:51:48 PM EDT
[#17]
If red beards are invited, I want to play
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks accurate!  Catfish and Stewie, we got blems, if you're cool with that, cool, if not, that's cool too.

This is going to take place in a guy's shop outside of Baxter Iowa.  Sounds like a good time, Ill be there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice .  Hopefully things go better this time around...

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:08:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Yikes! Drill press attempt on a polymer?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yikes! Drill press attempt on a polymer?
View Quote

Nope.  Just a pic I stole from the "You laugh, You lose" thread.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:50:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1154.photobucket.com/user/1CatfishHunter/media/TB7VQL3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p539/1CatfishHunter/TB7VQL3.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1154.photobucket.com/user/1CatfishHunter/media/TB7VQL3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p539/1CatfishHunter/TB7VQL3.jpg</a>

a home 'build' i take it...  lol.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was all for this, but if red beards are invited I may have to reconsider.  Or more specifically this red beard.  He has shifty eyes..........

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in, if the deal pops up again while I'm near a comp I plan on ordering a few more. I'll bring them with for anyone that doesn't have one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I was all for this, but if red beards are invited I may have to reconsider.  Or more specifically this red beard.  He has shifty eyes..........

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're just mad your baby is a ginger
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I know I'm fairly new to this hometown forum, hell I only actually know one guy on here; that being said I would like to participate if "The Man in charge" doesn't mind bearded assholes who drink Jack Daniels in his shop?  Naturally not whilst drinking said Nectar of the Gods.  Nothing I can do about he beard though.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#26]
you're good.  no booze being consumed that day of during the event of course.  otherwise, yeah...
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I know I'm fairly new to this hometown forum, hell I only actually know one guy on here; that being said I would like to participate if "The Man in charge" doesn't mind bearded assholes who drink Jack Daniels in his shop?  Naturally not whilst drinking said Nectar of the Gods.  Nothing I can do about he beard though.
View Quote
You will be far from the only bearded asshole there.  Some just don't have good taste and drink beer.  Us whiskey drinking bearded assholes are considered a higher tier.  Welcome and jump right in and pull up a virtual chair.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You will be far from the only bearded asshole there.  Some just don't have good taste and drink beer. Us whiskey drinking bearded assholes are considered a higher tier.  Welcome and jump right in and pull up a virtual chair.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You will be far from the only bearded asshole there.  Some just don't have good taste and drink beer. Us whiskey drinking bearded assholes are considered a higher tier.  Welcome and jump right in and pull up a virtual chair.

Have you been Facebook stalking me again?

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
Just shaved my red beard ........yeah not sure why

I hope I can join the party but even if not I'm in for $30 80% or two
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:48:40 AM EDT
[#30]
That won't buff right out...
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Ost
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:55:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Nice pic, looks like a rabid beaver got hold of it.
I'm sure that buffed right out...

Anyhow, hi all...
Long time lurker, relative infrequent poster.

Pardon my questions if any of these seem a bit naive, I'm not really familiar with the whole 80% process, but I'm interested in learning more and possibly participating.
Before things too long winded, if one of the experts thinks it's easier to just explain via phone, let me know, I'm more than happy to just give a call and talk through it to save everyone's time.
Which do you typically work with billet, poly, both? Any other starting "blank" (yes, I know, it's not truly a BLANK blank...) or preference?
Someone else mentioned having "blemished" ones.
How badly are they and/or what impact, if any, does it have on the rest of the milling?
Or are they just cosmetic things easily ignored or hidden?
After they've been milled out, what do you do for finishing - cerakote, anodize, other, nothing?
Have you only done ones for AR15, or do you do AR10 style too?

Thanks in advance and hope to join in the fun.
Can always stand to add another toy to the box.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#33]
This looks like a good price on an 80% from Rainier Arms if anyone still needs one:

http://www.rainierarms.com/milsport-ar-15-80-lower-receiver-raw

On sale for $49.95
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Bump, Also what time on the 16th?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#35]
got a problem men...

i'm certain i can't get all the stuff down and out of the shop in order to get this pulled off by the 16th.  

the question is this...  do we want to cancel it or reschedule it?  i'm quite willing to host as always, but i can't shortcut the customers i have waiting in order to do this.  i'm sure you guys understand.

your thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I thought people were no longer throwing these build parties due to this ruling -  https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/Firearms/FirearmsIndustry/atf-ruling-2015-1-manufacturing-and-gunsmithing.pdf
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I thought people were no longer throwing these build parties due to this ruling -  https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/Firearms/FirearmsIndustry/atf-ruling-2015-1-manufacturing-and-gunsmithing.pdf
View Quote

This has been discussed.  As long as Septic does not help, we are go to go.

I vote re-schedule, please.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#38]
I also vote reschedule.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

got a problem men...

i'm certain i can't get all the stuff down and out of the shop in order to get this pulled off by the 16th.  

the question is this...  do we want to cancel it or reschedule it?  i'm quite willing to host as always, but i can't shortcut the customers i have waiting in order to do this.  i'm sure you guys understand.

your thoughts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

got a problem men...

your thoughts?

I Vote for a reschedule.  It can be further out so maybe you try to plan your what I assume to be chaotic schedule.  Your being very generous as always so its ultimately your decesion

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#40]
+1 for reschedule.

Thanks for hosting this septic.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#41]
ok, let's talk new dates then.

i've got a full june and most of july.

do we mind warm weather?  i can look through some july dates (probably the last half of the month) or maybe some august dates.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
ok, let's talk new dates then.

i've got a full june and most of july.

do we mind warm weather?  i can look through some july dates (probably the last half of the month) or maybe some august dates.
View Quote

August sounds good for me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:32:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AAAAAAAAGH!!!!  MY EYES!!!!

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Well should I hurry and buy some 80% or are we on standby?  Anybody end up finding a good deal?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well should I hurry and buy some 80% or are we on standby?  Anybody end up finding a good deal?
View Quote

i'm trying to figure out a date.  i'll probably pitch a saturday date since most folks prefer then.  

there have been a few at tactical machining i think.  some of the blems i bought were good, some were pretty awful looking.  fyi.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
i'm trying to figure out a date.  i'll probably pitch a saturday date since most folks prefer then.  

there have been a few at tactical machining i think.  some of the blems i bought were good, some were pretty awful looking.  fyi.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok thanks. I will look into them and maybe other places or just buy a couple and pick the best one. +1 for a Saturday for me if everyone is still interested.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 4:42:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Is this event still happening and is it open and whatnot? Thanks.

-VB
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Is this event still happening and is it open and whatnot? Thanks.

-VB
View Quote

sure is.

i'm guilty of not getting my shop moved around the new mill put in place yet, which is a hold up, but i'd like to get that done and keep rolling.  after such a draining legislative session, i'm really really really ready to do something more fun like this.

if you guys still want to do this, i sure do.

-michael
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm in, just need to find an 80%.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#50]
If it will happen I will be there. I'm new to the 80% deal. Should I go forged or billet, and is there any particular manufacturer that you guys would recommend?

thanks

-VB
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top