Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#1]
getting darned close.  got the insurance back and the legal stuff from the lawyer.  we moved the bill mill into the back shop last week and the mini mill is being set up this weekend.  when papa bear comes up to wire them in, we can set a date and run with it...

thanks for the patience all!  this is going to be fun and long overdue...
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 12:07:22 AM EDT
[#2]
If you need someone to come wire them in, I can do it.  I install and repair industrial machinery for a living.  Let me know if I'm needed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

getting darned close.  got the insurance back and the legal stuff from the lawyer.  we moved the bill mill into the back shop last week and the mini mill is being set up this weekend.  when papa bear comes up to wire them in, we can set a date and run with it...

thanks for the patience all!  this is going to be fun and long overdue...
View Quote

Oh yeah
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Keeping the thread alive and kicking.....
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm sure septic doesn't have to many irons in the fire.  I don't know how you do it Mister
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Bumping to keep alive.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#7]
insurance is all done.  we set it up so we're covered to do events like this anytime rather than event by event.  kind of a pain getting that all done, but it'll be worth it long term.

i'm sorry this has been pushed back, but it was necessary for us to get through a bunch of work that was looming.  we're probably never going to be caught up, but we can now at least plan for a saturday and make it work.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
insurance is all done.  we set it up so we're covered to do events like this anytime rather than event by event.  kind of a pain getting that all done, but it'll be worth it long term.

i'm sorry this has been pushed back, but it was necessary for us to get through a bunch of work that was looming.  we're probably never going to be caught up, but we can now at least plan for a saturday and make it work.
View Quote

Good to know-as for the delay, it's better to do it right than do it fast.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't have any 80%'s to work on.  I wouldn't mind visiting my cans that are sitting in jail and put some rounds through them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't have any 80%'s to work on.  I wouldn't mind visiting my cans that are sitting in jail and put some rounds through them.
View Quote

there are nearly 400 of them in there now waiting on paperwork to clear...  so we can sift through them to find yours.  no problem russ.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks for understanding
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
there are nearly 400 of them in there now waiting on paperwork to clear...  so we can sift through them to find yours.  no problem russ.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well to be honest, I wouldn't feel bad about shooting whatever was easiest, top of the stack.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#13]

well, here's this...  page attention to the bottom half of page 5...

i'm consulting my lawyer now again.  my guess is if i weren't in the room and you guys ran your goodies, we'd be fine.  but it is obvious i can't "instruct or supervise" in any fashion...

we'll see what the fleet of legal beagles has to say about it.  i'm none too hip on not being present, but surely you guys can't crash two machines can you?

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ruling/2015-1-manufacturing-and-gunsmithing/download
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#14]
... He says to the same guy who managed to crash his computer entering his address....
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
... He says to the same guy who managed to crash his computer entering his address....
View Quote

Getting to the address screen is the hard part.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#16]
What type of machines are they (Standard Bridgeport style mills? CNC?) and what if there was someone there who was a machinist to watch over the machining so crashes did not occur?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What type of machines are they (Standard Bridgeport style mills? CNC?) and what if there was someone there who was a machinist to watch over the machining so crashes did not occur?
View Quote

go read the document.  the machines won't matter.  the ownership and their location does.

we're between a rock and a hard place.  either we'll need to do this elsewhere, or just say fuck em' and do it anyway...
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I can do this at my work for myself off company time, but there is no way they'll let non employees in there to use the machines.  I want to get my own mill.   Anyone know Ken McFarland in fredericsburg?  He builds custom ar's he has a nice little setup in his basement.

I've been wanting to do a few 80% lowers. Haven't gotten around to getting any. Seem like they are now just as much as a finished lower.  So where will this party be taking place whenever it's said and done?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
.   Anyone know Ken McFarland in fredericsburg?   ?
View Quote

Does he also build functional miniature cannons(10 or 12 gauge bore size, maybe 2 feet long)? I think I worked with his brother Joe until he quit and bought a restaurant.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Does he also build functional miniature cannons(10 or 12 gauge bore size, maybe 2 feet long)? I think I worked with his brother Joe until he quit and bought a restaurant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.   Anyone know Ken McFarland in fredericsburg?   ?

Not sure.   His business is calls Mcf firearms I think.  I used him for a ffl transfer a few months back.  He shows me His shop. Real nice guy.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#21]
bump

cause daddy needs a new build project.......
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#22]
i'm not how i'm going to be able to do this.  frankly, they've made this impossible for me.  i paid to insure it all and went the extra mile, but unless my lawyer finds some way around this, i'm not going to be able to host this.  what's more, is according to the letter i got back from atf, if i go to another facility and help i'm still manufacturing...  so if somebody else hosts it and i come, i suppose i could talk about anything but that or help run a machine for someone...  

with irony, an ar15 party or ak build party is fine, but when you involve an 80% they get owly about it...

what do you guys think should happen next?
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
i'm not how i'm going to be able to do this.  frankly, they've made this impossible for me.  i paid to insure it all and went the extra mile, but unless my lawyer finds some way around this, i'm not going to be able to host this.  what's more, is according to the letter i got back from atf, if i go to another facility and help i'm still manufacturing...  so if somebody else hosts it and i come, i suppose i could talk about anything but that or help run a machine for someone...  

with irony, an ar15 party or ak build party is fine, but when you involve an 80% they get owly about it...

View Quote

That is unfortunate news...  but no one here wants to see you put in a bind.  You have already invested your own time and money to try to put on something for us, which I know is greatly appreciated.  I say, if your up for it, lets have a good old fashioned ar15 build party and get together to touch base with folks we haven't seen in awhile and to send some more business your way.  Maybe a few of us could even enjoy a conjugal visit with our cans waiting for approval.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 4:30:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Can I come to the conjugal visit? I just like to watch.......
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kinky.... but It could turn really weird really fast. I mean what if some guy said to you, would you like to hold my tube?
Now in 99.9999% of the time the answer would definitely be hell no. But this would be one of those odd cases I think a strange 3 way or orgy would break out....
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

there's always one guy...  always one...  lol...
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That is unfortunate news...  but no one here wants to see you put in a bind.  You have already invested your own time and money to try to put on something for us, which I know is greatly appreciated.  I say, if your up for it, lets have a good old fashioned ar15 build party and get together to touch base with folks we haven't seen in awhile and to send some more business your way.  Maybe a few of us could even enjoy a conjugal visit with our cans waiting for approval.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

we can do that.  AR15 build party.  or even an AK day.  i here people asking about that from time to time.  understand that AKs and ARs aren't anything alike and the process of riveting AKs properly isn't quick and painless.  you guys call it and let me know.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#28]
it should be noted, i have all the riveting fixtures, press, foot controlled spot welder, flat benders, etc. for AK builds if that's the way the group wants to go.

it is hard taking a big group through an AK build, but a smaller size isn't bad.  my shop is really full of benches, work, and machines so there is less room for tons of people than it used to be.  but either way, we'll make something work.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm in for either, I have 3 80% lowers now and no AK parts, but if you want to do an ak day, I'll buy the stuff for that instead.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#30]
An AR build would be great
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Totally understand your bind Mister. Thanks for all you do. Where can I get AK kits? Any links?
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Totally understand your bind Mister. Thanks for all you do. Where can I get AK kits? Any links?
View Quote

ak kits can be found with a google search.  apex among others always seems to have them.  i buy a lot of flats and parts from ak-builder.com.  curtis is a really good egg and has been really helpful over the years.  check him out.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

ak kits can be found with a google search.  apex among others always seems to have them.  i buy a lot of flats and parts from ak-builder.com.  curtis is a really good egg and has been really helpful over the years.  check him out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Totally understand your bind Mister. Thanks for all you do. Where can I get AK kits?

Thanks septic

Link Posted: 1/10/2017 6:44:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Is anyone in the SE Iowa area with the tools and know how to guide a guy through this process? I'd prefer not to junk an 80 lower my first go around....
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#35]
So I was inspired by this GD Thread.  I still have two 80% that I am looking to finish and I figure I can handle using a router and a jig.  Any one local have experience with such a jig? Maybe even willing to rent one out?
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 9:06:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So I was inspired by this GD Thread.  I still have two 80% that I am looking to finish and I figure I can handle using a router and a jig.  Any one local have experience with such a jig? Maybe even willing to rent one out?
View Quote
Where in IA? My brother has one I can probably borrow.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Where in IA? My brother has one I can probably borrow.
View Quote

I'm in Ankeny. However the morning after I posted this I decided to just buy the 5d tactical jig. Should ship in 4-6 weeks. I'll update after I finish the two I have.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm in Ankeny. How ever the morning after I posted this I decided to just buy the 5d tactical jig. Should ship in 4-6 weeks. I'll update after I finish the two I have.
View Quote

So your hosting the next build party?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:36:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So your hosting the next build party?
View Quote

I'll think about it, however the wife unit gets mad when I bring home people I met on the internet.  But a bigger question would be, could I legally let anyone else use the jig?  I assume since I am not running a "business" it wouldn't get the ATF all worked up if I did.  But I just don't want them to say its my jig and router so I am manufacturing without a license
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#40]
My old lady is that way when I bring people I know home

I would suspect it would be the same as loaning any tools. Manufacturing would require you using your existing manufacturing equipment or you doing the work and then moving a product.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:20:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Well I will post some pictures after I get the jig and do my lowers.  Afterwards we can talk about getting a build party together.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#42]
So the jig arrived today. My lowers should be back from engraving tomorrow. So hopefully this weekend I'll post some finished pics.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Took me 4.5 hours. I answered a phone call, vacuumed between each pass, did half hash mark each pass. I was intentionally taking it slow. But the jig is amazing.  Sorry for crappy iPhone pics.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Looks good. Do you plan on a finish? 
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Looks good. Do you plan on a finish? 
View Quote

Once I choose a rail for it I plan to get it cerakoted. Was thinking maybe tungsten or a grey. I have one I had engraved for my daughter I plan to mill tomorrow. That one will also get cerakote.   Probably purple for hers.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Finished my daughters lower today. Also some better pics of the mine.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Nice!
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:12:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Those turned out great!

Who did the engraving on them?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Those turned out great!

Who did the engraving on them?
View Quote

Thanks, Randy Spade of Vader Tactical did the engraving. Easy guy to work with and fast turn around.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Can you add what lowers you used and what jig you used to machine them out? may be helpful to someone
Page / 4
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top