Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 1/25/2015 7:21:46 AM EDT
My son, who is 22 and possesses a wisconsin concealed carry license, is taking a job in iowa for 8 months in 2015. Can someone answer the following questions?  1) can he possess a loaded or unloaded handgun in iowa in his vehicle?  2) can he possess an unloaded handgun on his employer's property if it is kept in his locked vehicle?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:46:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I am sure someone will give you a better answer soon but Iowa will recognize a WI permit to carry. I would guess the second question would depend on the employer as I don't believe this is addresses in Iowa law.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Is he living in Wis. and working in IA or moving to IA? If moving here his Wisconsin will become invalid. If just commuting from Wis for work his Wis. permit would be recognized here. He would have to retain his Wis. residency though. Many employers have a no weapons policy. While it isn't illegal by law to keep a weapon in a locked car on company property the employer retains the right to terminate you, per policy, if discovered and they will. Someday I hope we get around to our parking lot legislation.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#3]
While it's not against the law for him to keep a gun in his vehicle at work, with some exceptions (schools, military bases, etc), employers may have a no weapons policy on company property.  Some states have passed laws that allow employees to store guns in their vehicles regardless of employer policy but I don't believe Iowa has.

In all honesty, I would just lock it up and keep my mouth shut.  It's really none of their business what's in your vehicle and the only way anyone would ever know is if you tell them.  Many companies don't have an explicit no weapons policy but would frown on the concept.  I just look at this as a DADT situation.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:08:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Iowa does not have a parking lot law protecting employees. Therefore if an employer has a weapons policy and you are discovered they can terminate you even though by law you are legal to possess.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Iowa does not have a parking lot law protecting employees. Therefore if an employer has a weapons policy and you are discovered they can terminate you even though by law you are legal to possess.

View Quote
This is important. Wisconsin has a "Parking Lot Law". Iowa does not. AFAIK, he can posses it in his vehicle,BUT, it is up to his employer if he can keep it in the vehicle on the employers property.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top