Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 1/20/2015 11:44:55 PM EDT
I'm trying to find info for a buddy that will be transferring into the state to finish school next year.  I did some searching but having trouble finding anything on how residency is determined for students when it comes to carry permits.  I know full-time students qualify for resident hunting and fishing licenses and can register to vote but are not considered residents in all areas.

He's an ex-Marine so he has his discharge papers - would he be able to apply for an Iowa (resident) carry permit once he is a full time student in the state?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:44:05 AM EDT
[#1]
He will need to claim or demonstrate Iowa residency. I have never found a definitive answer as to what that is. Some say it is when you spend more than 50 percent of your year here. Some say it is where you file taxes and other just say you need to have a drivers license

If he remains a resident of another state and has a permit from that state then it would be honored here.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:12:58 AM EDT
[#2]
He should look at things carefully first and play the game to his advantage.
If he gets an Iowa permit, it might not be honored in his home state but his home state permit WILL be honored in Iowa.
One or the other will likely be honored in more states than the other and that might effect which he wants too.
I've never understood the whole residency thing for students at all.
They can claim residency for voting and stuff while still paying out of state tuition.  ?????
Have him research it a bit and try to ride the line that helps him out the most.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks - that's about what I figured, not a good definitive answer. I guess his best option would be to just go into the Sheriff's office and see what they say.  I agree, the student residency stuff makes no sense at all.

The main reason he was asking is because he's from NE and he says its about a $250 process to get one there -  but if he's going to essentially be living here, he thought $50 sounded like a lot better deal.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Instead of the local Sheriff I think I would contact the Dept. Of Public Safety and ask them. Certain local Sheriff's are not 2A and may not give a correct answer. Many on here can attest to the distrust in Johnson County with Pulbraeck (sp?). He is a tool from the word go and has a history of rights violations especially where U of I students are concerned.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not written in stone, but the Scott County Sheriff's Office Website says, "A permit may be issued to a temporary resident of Iowa (i.e. a student residing in Iowa but whose permanent address is in another state or a person on active duty in the armed services stationed at the Rock Island Arsenal)." So, that can't hurt.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Military members just need to have papers listing Iowa as their Permanent Duty Station in order to get a permit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#7]
This kinda fits in this thread but maybe not 100% but figure I will ask it here as well too. I have a relative who may be relocating here after being out of the state for several years and he was interested in getting a permit and I told him what I did to get mine but we did not know what exactly the requirements are for being considered a resident of the state of Iowa for someone permanently relocating here? In other words, how long would he need to be living here before they will allow him to get the permit and what goes into establishing residency?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This kinda fits in this thread but maybe not 100% but figure I will ask it here as well too. I have a relative who may be relocating here after being out of the state for several years and he was interested in getting a permit and I told him what I did to get mine but we did not know what exactly the requirements are for being considered a resident of the state of Iowa for someone permanently relocating here? In other words, how long would he need to be living here before they will allow him to get the permit and what goes into establishing residency?
View Quote

If he is moving here permanently he can get his driver's license once he's been here for 30 days(prove it with a lease agreement, utility bill, paycheck stub from an Iowa employee, etc.) Having a driver's license with an Iowa address should meet his residency requirement with the least amount of time passing.

Cite: Iowa Department of Transportation
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, and that is exactly what I guessed needed to happen.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top