Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 5:17:55 PM EDT
What'd you think? Wife and I thought it was pretty good some of the violence was very intense would not recommend for younger kids.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I was thinking about seeing it this upcoming weekend, maybe catch an early showing to avoid some of the crowds.  Did you see it in Burlington?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was thinking about seeing it this upcoming weekend, maybe catch an early showing to avoid some of the crowds.  Did you see it in Burlington?
View Quote

Mount Pleasant it was a packed house. When it was over it was a little eerie no one talked or made a sound everyone just got up and walked out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I want to see it but I will wait until it is available to rent. I don't like going around a bunch of people crowded in and then someone near me texting or kicking my seat.

I understand that many theaters are sold out for nearly every showing. It will be interesting to see if the Awards show recognizes it or snubs it. Even thought it isn't a move about war, it still has to irk some of the Hollywood Libtards

Does anyone know if his wife received any royalties from the movie?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#4]
We went Thursday night in Oskaloosa.  Theater was only about 15% full.  I thought it was a good show.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw it today in Ankeny with a packed house. I read the book several years back and thought that Clint did a good job of adhering to Mr. Kyle's message. It wasn't a top ten movie of all time by any means, but it was great way to honor Mr. Kyle, perpetuate what he stood for, and recognize the tremendous emotional and physical toll war has on our soldiers. And, I agree with the above post, the silence was deafening at the end of the movie.

What was really interesting is that of the couple hundred people in the theater, all were adults with the youngest people I saw were in their early twenties. I sat in the very top row and did not hear one cell phone go off nor did I witness anyone get up to use the restroom, Respectful crowd to say the least.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#6]
went and saw it last night, it was a very good movie. We got there 1/2hr before it started and there was already a line of people waiting to see it, every seat was filled by the time the movie started. It was the first movie I've been to where there was virtually no noise during the movie(except for the lady behind me that jumped everytime someone was picked off that wasn't already in the scopes reticle)and it was dead quiet during the footage of the funeral and while people were leaving the theater.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Mount Pleasant it was a packed house. When it was over it was a little eerie no one talked or made a sound everyone just got up and walked out.

I have heard this too...

I want to get to see it soon...wifey wants to go too.  Says she will prob cry though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Still trying to decide if I want to see it or not.  The book was good though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Not one person moved till just the credits were rolling. The funeral procession footage was pretty powerful never seen crying at a movie but there definitely was (my wife included)
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Saw it in Decorah, planned ahead and asked the in laws to  watch my daughter. My wife didn't have a lot of interest in seeing it, I told her to let me know if she wasn't going early enough for me to go without her if that's the case. She ended up going and enjoyed it too. The line outside the theater was half a block long when we got there, and still half a block behind us by the time we got inside the door. I don't think I've ever seen people in a theater that glued to their seats. I think 2 people got up to take a leak or buy food the whole time. By the gasp in the crowd at the end, I'd be willing to bet that 25% didn't know what happened to him after being home.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure on that, but saw a theater online that  sold out at $75/seat with money going to the family.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#12]
No, I will go, not sure when. Wife didn't know I have the book til last night. She started reading, wants to finish it, then see the movie.

I think I'll keep her.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not sure on that, but saw a theater online that  sold out at $75/seat with money going to the family.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats awesome
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
went and saw it last night, it was a very good movie. We got there 1/2hr before it started and there was already a line of people waiting to see it, every seat was filled by the time the movie started. It was the first movie I've been to where there was virtually no noise during the movie(except for the lady behind me that jumped everytime someone was picked off that wasn't already in the scopes reticle)and it was dead quiet during the footage of the funeral and while people were leaving the theater.
View Quote

were you at the Mason City theater?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#15]
hopefully going to see it today.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Seen it Sunday in West Des Moines.  12:30 sold out. 1:30   Only had a few seats open.    

Good movie,  glad I'm an American and have people who gave all.   Total silence at the end.

Joe
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no it was at the Algona theater
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw it a packed theater, Sunday night 6:30, during Pats/Colts game.  I thought this would keep the numbers down.  Not so.

I am still undecided on the movie as a whole.  I agree it is a good movie and but several portions made me wince and squirm in my seat.  Hollywood altering reality to build drama always chaps my ass, I am getting to be a very cynical bastard

Tried doing a spoiler section here to explain, but failed.

The end scene for the service and burial procession got to me.  that was my favorite part of the whole movie.  It showed the support and admiration he received.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#19]
i liked it.  i enjoyed it.  it told his story, as i understand it, well.  i enjoyed the book.

clint took some artistic license, which isn't uncommon, so there are little things here and there folks will find incorrect or flawed.  overall the tone and content was superb.  i wouldn't say i loved it, but i liked it a lot.  for thought provocation, i'd give it high marks.  as memorable, i'd give it low to medium marks.

there are many modern and classic 'war' and 'struggle' movies i like better.  i would still highly recommend seeing it in theaters.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#20]
My favorite part was when he shot the Olympic medalist sniper in the face from 2100 yards.  I have no idea if that is how it went down in real life, but I enjoyed seeing him get his after killing Americans earlier in the movie.

I really liked the movie I believe it was a story that needed to be told.  I was a little emotional at the end, but I was actually more emotional during Lone Survivor that one brought a tear.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My favorite part was when he shot the Olympic medalist sniper in the face from 2100 yards.  I have no idea if that is how it went down in real life, but I enjoyed seeing him get his after killing Americans earlier in the movie.

I really liked the movie I believe it was a story that needed to be told.  I was a little emotional at the end, but I was actually more emotional during Lone Survivor that one brought a tear.
View Quote

I have a hard time getting past the f tard marky mark playing the part of a true American hero
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have a hard time getting past the f tard marky mark playing the part of a true American hero
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya, I very seldom watch any movies or TV, but when I do I watch the film for what it is and disregard what any of the actors political views may be.  I do have friends that will not watch it because of him though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

That is one instance that I disliked but was not going to put out as a spoiler.  He did make a 2100 yd kill, he did eliminate the Syrian sniper, but it did not happen together.  The 2100 yd shot was against a rpg dude.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That is one instance that I disliked but was not going to put out as a spoiler.  He did make a 2100 yd kill, he did eliminate the Syrian sniper, but it did not happen together.  The 2100 yd shot was against a rpg dude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well crap every time I open my mouth on here Sorry
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#25]
One thing I'll say, without making it a spoiler, is the line at the end disappointed me a bit with one detail, but redeemed itself with another detail. How do you add the "click to view spoiler" tag? I'd add it with one of those.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#26]
You're fine Lefty.  I am upset with the screenwriter and Clint.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:01:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Click To View Spoiler

spoiler in [ ] and /spoiler in [ ]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife and I saw it Saturday afternoon.  The place was packed.  The part that I highlighted above, I think was pretty much par for the course.  It was that way at our screening and I have read many other cases that were that way as well.  I thought Cooper did an excellent job.  I think the reason they combined some of the stories was to keep the movie focused.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Click To View Spoiler

spoiler in [ ] and /spoiler in [ ]
View Quote

Thanks.
what I was disappointed and happy with was Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#30]
i prefered 'Fury' over this movie for actual story telling and overall cinematic experience.  but the portrayal of PTSD and ALL things associated with it should be a wake up for this country.  we have a looming epidemic coming our way with it and i don't believe we're equipped to handle it well or correctly.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I started to re read the book to compare and there are a ton of differences between the two. The above mentioned scene with the Olympic sniper and there were a few others that either didn't happen that way or at all. I also read that Taya said Cooper did such a great job portraying Chris that he even got the mouth twitch down that Chris would get. All in all it was still a great movie and I can't wait for it to be released to DVD so I can buy it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I agree Cooper did a hell of a job
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

Thread with information on the sniper/counter sniper situation in the sandbox.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1710140_Tell_me_about_Juba__Syrian_sniper_in_American_sniper_.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1710140_Tell_me_about_Juba__Syrian_sniper_in_American_sniper_.html

Thank you!  After seeing the movie the Mrs. wants to read the book and now I want to read the book to get facts instead of dramatizations.  Do you happen to know what caliber he used or any other details about the 2100 yard shot on the rpg guy?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Thank you!  After seeing the movie the Mrs. wants to read the book and now I want to read the book to get facts instead of dramatizations.  Do you happen to know what caliber he used or any other details about the 2100 yard shot on the rpg guy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe it was with the .338 Lapua.   He used the .300 Win Mag Rem700 early in the career and then switched in later tours.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:00:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
He was great with the media as well.

Chris Kyle on Conan

Chris Kyle Time Magazine Interview

Chris Kyle on Fox 4

View Quote

Fixed that link for you(there were two that were the same).
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top