Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have one more sorry

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Have one more sorry

Regarding HSB 201 – I will be in support of this bill.

Representative Dave Heaton

You win the day Greeeeeenberg. Great work. Seriously. I'll get 'em on the list.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:33:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Got this today

Dear Tommy2399:

Thank you for contacting me about the pro-2nd amendment bills in the House. I too am a strong supporter of 2nd amendment rights, so I would certainly consider these bills when they come to the Senate. Bills often get amended in one chamber prior to being voted on, so it's possible those bills could look very different from their current form and constituent input on any changes are appreciated. Senate will be working on a companion bill  SSB 1251 in subcommittee later this week.  Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,
Rita

Rita R. Hart
Iowa State Senator
District 49
Serving all of Clinton County and the northern and eastern strips of Scott County Member of Agriculture, Economic Growth, Education, Local Government, and Veteran’s Affairs Committee Vice-Chair, Economic Development Appropriations Subcommittee
Ph:  515-281-3371;  563-210-1252 (c)
http://www.senate.iowa.gov/senator/hart/newsletter/subscribe-to-my-newsletter/

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I sent an email to my senator, Robert Dvorsky from Iowa City, but I don't expect him to be on our side.  I won't get a response either as he doesn't respond to any form of contact I've tried to have with him.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I sent an email to my senator, Robert Dvorsky from Iowa City, but I don't expect him to be on our side.  I won't get a response either as he doesn't respond to any form of contact I've tried to have with him.
View Quote

I get the same non-response from both my Senator and House Rep, no response this time, nor last time. Wally's office is right up the road from me though, so he's going to have to tell me no in person.

Also, I know Tim Kapucian was in our corner last go-round, but I will ask him if he comes in this week where he stands.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I've received an email response from both Chuck Isenhart and Senator Pam Jochum thus far.  Both responses appeared to be hand typed, but neither divulged a stance either way.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Waiting for response from Rep Soderman.  In related news, IGO blocked me from their facebook after I called them on lobbying against the suppressor bill last year, already bashing it this year, and lying to me about supporting the SYG they're pushing now,  in 2012.   So sick of those liars.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Waiting for response from Rep Soderman.  In related news, IGO blocked me from their facebook after I called them on lobbying against the suppressor bill last year, already bashing it this year, and lying to me about supporting the SYG they're pushing now,  in 2012.   So sick of those liars.
View Quote

I'm suprised they haven't blocked me, I enjoy trying to educate people. Some of their followers think IFC and the NRA are the bad guys and IGO is the hero.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Got this today

Dear Tommy2399:

Thank you for contacting me about the pro-2nd amendment bills in the House. I too am a strong supporter of 2nd amendment rights, so I would certainly consider these bills when they come to the Senate. Bills often get amended in one chamber prior to being voted on, so it's possible those bills could look very different from their current form and constituent input on any changes are appreciated. Senate will be working on a companion bill  SSB 1251 in subcommittee later this week.  Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

Rita

Rita R. Hart

Iowa State Senator

District 49

Serving all of Clinton County and the northern and eastern strips of Scott County Member of Agriculture, Economic Growth, Education, Local Government, and Veteran’s Affairs Committee Vice-Chair, Economic Development Appropriations Subcommittee

Ph:  515-281-3371;  563-210-1252 (c)

http://www.senate.iowa.gov/senator/hart/newsletter/subscribe-to-my-newsletter/

View Quote
I'll be damned, I would have lost money betting on Rita.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Squimin' Herman and Beth Wessel-Kroeshell.  About as NRA F rated as you can get.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Justin:
Thank you for contacting me.  I want to stress that I believe the Bill of Rights is clear in the protection to keep and bear arms through the 2nd Amendment.  That being said, I do believe in reasonable restrictions of this right, just like all of our other Constitutional rights.  From what has happened so far, the bill that you referenced is still a work in process.  HSB 201 was amended in committee and the new bill, HF 527, was just introduced today.  At this time we have not been given a clear timeline for when I may get a chance to debate this bill on the House floor with my colleagues, or if this is even the final form of the bill.  If this bill is brought up before the full House, I have faith the chamber will fully vet the proposal and explore how this will impact the regulation of firearms in the state.  At that time I intend to study this bill very closely and determine if I support every element of the bill.  I am always willing to discuss this issue, or any other legislative issue before the House, with my constituents and welcome you to visit me at the Capitol if you ever want to talk.

Rep Dan Kelley
View Quote

What was amended in committee?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Email I sent to Rep. Watts & Senator Chapman.  I have only heard back from Watts (below).  I want to say thanks to IFC for all of the awesome info, makes writing these emails much simpler.  

Ralph Watts,

First let me say thanks for taking the time to read this email. I have recently moved to Iowa within the last two years from WI and am pleased to see that Iowans are trying to enhance their 2nd Amendment rights.  I bet you can't tell what side of the fence I sit on?

I would like to know where you stand in regards to the following and upcoming bills:
HF45 - Emergency Powers
- Bill would protect citizens from confiscation acts during a "disaster emergency proclamation" or "public disorder"
HF59 - Preemption cleanup bill
- Local governments will not be able to supersede state firearms law by acting in "good-faith" or "upon the advice of counsel"
HF92 - Stand your ground
- Allow and individual to defend themselves and/or family without retreating
- How is it okay that a family should leave their home rather then defend themselves and property?
HF99 - Repeal the youth shooting ban
- Allow an individual under the age of 14, to handle or shoot a handgun with proper supervision.
- Why is that the state decides when it is okay for child to use a handgun?
HSB201 - Firearm Suppressor & 2A Provisions
-Legalizing suppressors
-Update Iowa's concealed carry law to move the retraining requirement to every 10 years instead of every 5.
-Simplify the concealed carry permit renewal process and allow a 60 day window to renew.
-Exempt military veterans from having to get training before applying for a Permit to Carry
-Remove the "permit to acquire" mandate for handgun purchases (FBI NICS program would still be used for purchases).
-Clarifies that online training is acceptable for a concealed carry permit.
-Remove the age restriction on minors shooting while supervised by a parent or guardian.
-Make it illegal to share any identifying information about any of Iowa's concealed carry permit holders.
-Make all permits across Iowa uniform in appearance.

The following bills, I believe should receive a "NO" vote from you as they remove 2A rights from law abiding citizens:
HF70 - 10 Round magazine capacity
HF76 - Barring transfer of semi-automatic firearms
HF77 - Universal background checks

HSB201 will be the second attempt by Iowans to secure the legalization of suppressors, which was stonewalled by Senator Rob Hogg.  By now I'm sure you're well aware of Iowan's desire to legalize suppressors, as Iowa is one of just 11 states where residents are barred from owning these useful devices.  I would gladly explain in depth if you would like to the advantages of suppressors, so please feel free to contact me with any questions.
I hope this email shows my dedication to advancing 2A rights and I would greatly appreciate a response to know that I can count on your vote to further the cause.
View Quote

Greeeeeenberg,

You nailed everyone of them correctly.  That’s exactly where I’m at.

Ralph W.
View Quote

One more for our side.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#12]
So where's the update? this bill has changed names and is in so many different places I can't keep track of who I need to be calling and such. Any help?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Justin:
Thank you for contacting me.  I want to stress that I believe the Bill of Rights is clear in the protection to keep and bear arms through the 2nd Amendment.  That being said, I do believe in reasonable restrictions of this right, just like all of our other Constitutional rights.  From what has happened so far, the bill that you referenced is still a work in process.  HSB 201 was amended in committee and the new bill, HF 527, was just introduced today.  At this time we have not been given a clear timeline for when I may get a chance to debate this bill on the House floor with my colleagues, or if this is even the final form of the bill.  If this bill is brought up before the full House, I have faith the chamber will fully vet the proposal and explore how this will impact the regulation of firearms in the state.  At that time I intend to study this bill very closely and determine if I support every element of the bill.  I am always willing to discuss this issue, or any other legislative issue before the House, with my constituents and welcome you to visit me at the Capitol if you ever want to talk.

Rep Dan Kelley

HSB201 has been succeeded by HF527.

There appear to be differences between HSB201 and HF227, most notably that Professional PCW's are valid on school grounds only for LEO's.  Currently, the caveat "when the officer’s duties require the person to carry such weapons" from 724.4 applies.

The bill overall remains intact, as far as I can tell.  Allowing all Pro PCW's to carry on school grounds might have been a bridge too far in the senate.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So where's the update? this bill has changed names and is in so many different places I can't keep track of who I need to be calling and such. Any help?
View Quote

Spart beat me to it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#15]
For those of you who aren't NRA members or don't get updates on ILA stuff this was dropped in my email today.  

The NRA has worked alongside the Iowa Firearms Coalition and pro-gun legislators to move the most comprehensive pro-gun omnibus package in recent history another important step forward.  In the last committee meetings of funnel week in the Iowa Legislature, both Senate Study Bill 1251, introduced by Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Steve Sodders (D-36), and House Study Bill 201, introduced by Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chip Baltimore (R-47), passed favorably out of their respective Senate and House Judiciary Committees.  Both measures received unanimous consent in subcommittees earlier this week, before receiving overwhelmingly bipartisan support and approval in full committee.  While the Senate version is not yet identical to the version as passed by House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday, it is similar and your NRA-ILA is working to conform the two measures.

These measures will need your full support to advance intact off the House and Senate floors!  Anti-gun activists and legislators have turned up the pressure and attempted to strip SSB 1251 of key provisions, including permit privacy and youth handgun possession.  Permit holders in Iowa deserve a law that recognizes their right to have identifying information kept private and secure from those who would abuse it-- a right that over 40 other states currently afford their permit holders.  Additionally, parents ought to have the right to make the decision regarding when a child is mature and strong enough to be taught firearm safety -- not have to wait until their child reaches an arbitrary age decided by the state.

It is important for Iowans that these provisions stay in SSB 1251 as it moves forward!

HSB 201 has received a new number after passing out of committee, and is now House File 527.  As previously reported, this legislation seeks to make many changes to benefit law-abiding gun owners, shooters and sportsmen alike:

Removes permit-to-acquire requirement for handgun purchases, which will in turn remove the de facto three-day waiting period for handguns, while creating an optional permit to acquire firearms that will now be good for five years instead of one.

Legalizes ownership and possession of firearm sound suppressors.

Requires that certification by a chief law enforcement officer (CLEO), when a signoff is required for the transfer of a firearm or other item regulated by the National Firearms Act (NFA), be provided within 30 days as long as the applicant is not prohibited by law from receiving the firearm or other item.

Eases the concealed weapons permitting renewal process by only requiring retraining every ten years (as opposed to five), allowing for an internet training course to qualify for retraining, providing for a 60 day window for application for renewal, and allowing any training done within 24 months of initial application or permit expiration date to qualify.

Lengthens the window in which you can renew your permit from the current 30 days prior to expiration requirement, to allowing you to renew 30 days before or after the expiration date on the permit.  

Creates a training exception for veterans of the Armed Forces from ever having to go through initial training or retraining if they can produce their military qualifications at the time of application.

Removes the arbitrary age prohibition on the use and possession of a handgun or handgun ammunition.  Under current law, if a parent wishes to teach their child to shoot a long gun, they can, but they are currently prohibited from teaching a child under fourteen how to use a pistol or revolver.  This change allows parents to make the decision of when a child is mature and strong enough to be taught firearm safety.

Ensures confidentiality of personal information of all current and renewing applicants for a concealed weapons permit, making personal information of those permit holders private to everyone other than law enforcement agencies.  Information you submit to obtain your permit will no longer be subject to public information requests.

Allows law enforcement to verify 24/7 by electronic means the validity of a concealed weapons permit through a statewide verification system. This new system may help Iowa gain reciprocity with other states. However, this system is not a gun registry or database of firearm owners, but simply contains information that verifies if a permit is valid or not.  It will not include information on specific firearms you own, or information on individuals who own firearms but do not have a permit.

Creates uniform permits throughout the state that only contain necessary information on the card.  This will apply to both a permit to carry and the now optional permit to acquire.  Permits will no longer list a person’s home address on the card.

Strengthens penalties for “straw purchases,” the practice where someone who is prohibited from having a firearm obtains one by having another person purchase a firearm for them.  Federal law already prohibits straw purchases, however Iowa law is not as clear on this topic.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Yup here's the web version if anyone wants to share it around. https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150306/iowa-strong-pro-gun-omnibus-improvement-bills-overwhelmingly-clear-committee-hurdles

Much work to do!  I look forward to SSB1251 getting a regular bill number and being put on the debate calendar.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#17]
for those of you interested, kelley was caught referring to 2A advocates, me specifically among others, as 'mother fuckers' this week at the capitol.  i'm told by my little birdie in the caucus he's said in caucus he won't vote for this ever.  ...so he's stringing those of us along who reside in his district.  

when you talk to him, i'd not alert him to your knowledge of this and that i have a mole, but keep it in mind that he's lying to your face.  instead, work to get things we can keep, like facebook screenshots, emails, voice mails, etc.  come reelection time i'd like to have us all remember this guy that the sierra club has chosen as their iowa connection, and maybe come into the district to oust him.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There appear to be differences between HSB201 and HF227, most notably that Professional PCW's are valid on school grounds only for LEO's.  Currently, the caveat "when the officer’s duties require the person to carry such weapons" from 724.4 applies.

The bill overall remains intact, as far as I can tell.  Allowing all Pro PCW's to carry on school grounds might have been a bridge too far in the senate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Justin:

Rep Dan Kelley

I really don't want to derail this thread, but this issue really gripes me.  724.6 contradicts this in saying that "A permit issued to a certified peace officer shall authorize that peace officer to go armed anywhere in the state at all times."  The interpretation of the part from 724.4 is all from Tom Miller from the way I understand it.  724.6 seems really clear to me.  Sorry for the rant.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Chris,

Thanks for the email. I have reviewed the legislation and it looks like something I can support.  I'm not sure what changes will be made as it move through the process, but it looks as though the bill is going to move forward. Feel free to keep in touch.

Thanks,

Pat

Pat Grassley
30601 Deer Trail Dr.
New Hartford, IA 50660
(319)983-9019
[email protected]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:40:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
for those of you interested, kelley was caught referring to 2A advocates, me specifically among others, as 'mother fuckers' this week at the capitol.  i'm told by my little birdie in the caucus he's said in caucus he won't vote for this ever.  ...so he's stringing those of us along who reside in his district.  

when you talk to him, i'd not alert him to your knowledge of this and that i have a mole, but keep it in mind that he's lying to your face.  instead, work to get things we can keep, like facebook screenshots, emails, voice mails, etc.  come reelection time i'd like to have us all remember this guy that the sierra club has chosen as their iowa connection, and maybe come into the district to oust him.

View Quote

We still on for coffee with the representative?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:28:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I really don't want to derail this thread, but this issue really gripes me.  724.6 contradicts this in saying that "A permit issued to a certified peace officer shall authorize that peace officer to go armed anywhere in the state at all times."  The interpretation of the part from 724.4 is all from Tom Miller from the way I understand it.  724.6 seems really clear to me.  Sorry for the rant.  
View Quote

I'd say making the law coherent vs. contradictory is a good thing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:14:23 AM EDT
[#22]
EDIT
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#23]
We had a town hall meeting in Keokuk County today.

Rep. Jared Klein was a resounding “yes!”

Senator Kevin Kinney talked about what he didn’t like about this gun bill (people could use “silencers” during school shootings thus making it harder for law enforcement to find them, the need to qualify at a range with a law enforcement officer prior to concealed carry) but then I think I got the impression that he intended to vote for it.

Jared did say that the "other far right organization" hadn't weighed in yet (probably drafting fund raising mailing?) to know if they'd oppose it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Mr. & Mrs. CatfishHunter-

Thank you for contacting me and being engaged on this extremely important issue.

I have always been, and always will be, a staunch defender of the 2nd Amendment at every level of government. This right is one of the most important ones we as Americans are blessed with. I have recently cast a vote in committee in favor of a broad bill that both adds to and supports the rights of Iowans who own firearms (including suppressors).

I will continue to lead on this issue as long as I am in the Iowa Senate.

Thanks again for being plugged in on this and for reaching out—it is very important and absolutely makes a difference.

Take Care Always,

Senator Jack Whitver
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:30:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We had a town hall meeting in Keokuk County today.

Rep. Jared Klein was a resounding “yes!”

Senator Kevin Kinney talked about what he didn’t like about this gun bill (people could use “silencers” during school shootings thus making it harder for law enforcement to find them, the need to qualify at a range with a law enforcement officer prior to concealed carry) but then I think I got the impression that he intended to vote for it.

Jared did say that the "other far right organization" hadn't weighed in yet (probably drafting fund raising mailing?) to know if they'd oppose it.
View Quote

I worked with Kinney went he was a deputy.  I let him know I wanted suppressors all the time.  The last time we talked was at a party and I brought up all the positives of suppressors.  I'm a leo, I don't buy the school shooting and making it harder to find them excuse.  If I had to guess I'd say he could go either way on the vote.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#26]
There's a good discussion going on on NPR of all places about the suppressor bill. They have a democrat and a republican congressmen on who both support the bill.

Im not in love with NPR but the conversation seems to be going our way.

The lady from the anti group isnt helping their cause.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There's a good discussion going on on NPR of all places about the suppressor bill. They have a democrat and a republican congressmen on who both support the bill.

Im not in love with NPR but the conversation seems to be going our way.

The lady from the anti group isnt helping their cause.
View Quote

Rep. Windschitl is putting on a show right now. He's deflected every non-sensical argument presented so far. It's awesome listening to him work.

It's great hearing Rep. Wolf (a Democrat) chiming in in defense of the Omnibus Gun Bill as well.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Overall how was the discussion? I unfortunately was unable to hear most of it.  I did call in but was a bit too late.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I worked with Kinney went he was a deputy. I let him know I wanted suppressors all the time. The last time we talked was at a party and I brought up all the positives of suppressors. I'm a leo, I don't buy the school shooting and making it harder to find them excuse. If I had to guess I'd say he could go either way on the vote.
View Quote

I'm in LE as well and don't buy the active shooter excuse. Since suppressors are caliber specific and mount in several different ways, even if a perp steals a can, the odds of it fitting his own gun aren't very good. If a perp does steal a can, he'd probably have to steal the entire gun collection as well just to make sure he could use the suppressor, if that would even be his end goal. Stealing aside, making your own is also going to take time, money and know-how. Even if it's not made legally, it's still a pay-to-play system.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Lists are up to date as of this post.

Confirmed Support:

House
15 of 98

Senate
14 of 50

We gotta get to work. I'm particularly concerned about the Senate.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Overall how was the discussion? I unfortunately was unable to hear most of it.  I did call in but was a bit too late.
View Quote

See for yourself.  

NPR Broadcast
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:38:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 5:51:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Lists are up to date as of this post.

Confirmed Support:

House
15 of 98

Senate
14 of 50

We gotta get to work. I'm particularly concerned about the Senate.
View Quote

i talked to Rep Jared Klein on Sat and he's a solid yes.  Sen Kevin Kinney seemed to say yes, but I can't say for certain.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#34]
I updated the lists to include the Judiciary Committee votes in the House and Senate. Things are looking a little better, but we're not over the hump yet.

Confirmed Support:

House
29 of 98

Senate
19 of 50

Omnibus Gun Bills have been given new numbers (no need to panic, nothing else has changed).
HSB201 is now HF527
SSB1251 is now SF425

IFC "Pass the Omnibus Bills in their ORIGINAL FORM emails."
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#35]
IADPE-

You were correct, Kinney voted yes on SSB1251 in the Senate Judiciary Committee.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Link to the Iowa Legislature's live stream of today's House vote. HF527 is expected to be taken up shortly.

IA Legis. LIVE STREAM from the House
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Link to the Iowa Legislature's live stream of today's House vote. HF527 is expected to be taken up shortly.

View Quote

We're up right now!
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

We're up right now!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're up right now!

Passed without debate!
75-24 the unofficial tally.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Excellent!  Any word on when the Senate will vote/debate?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Excellent!  Any word on when the Senate will vote/debate?
View Quote

They haven't scheduled SF425 for debate or a vote yet. I'm going off memory, but I believe the next funnel date is April 3rd. That's the drop dead date we have to pass by.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Was very happy to see this this morning.  Fingers crossed it keeps going forward!!!

And I can't remember from last year.  Passes the house, then the house bill goes to the Senate Judiciary committee.  Last year the bill never emerged from the sub committee.  With that being the case, wouldn't it be better for the Senate to pass their version if they are the same as the House would most assuredly pass the bill?

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#42]
woot woot!   Bring on the Senate!
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#44]
So are we actually going to get a vote in the senate this year?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if i can reschedule my tax appointment, yes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Was very happy to see this this morning.  Fingers crossed it keeps going forward!!!

And I can't remember from last year.  Passes the house, then the house bill goes to the Senate Judiciary committee.  Last year the bill never emerged from the sub committee.  With that being the case, wouldn't it be better for the Senate to pass their version if they are the same as the House would most assuredly pass the bill?

View Quote

Negative good sir.  Last year Senator Rob Hogg was in charge of the judiciary committee and that is the man who never let it up for a vote.  One man killed the bill last year; thankfully this year we have a different Senator in charge of that committee and he seems to be more on our side.  His name escapes me at the moment but I think he's been mentioned in here.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Negative good sir.  Last year Senator Rob Hogg was in charge of the judiciary committee and that is the man who never let it up for a vote.  One man killed the bill last year; thankfully this year we have a different Senator in charge of that committee and he seems to be more on our side.  His name escapes me at the moment but I think he's been mentioned in here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steve Sodders
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Steve Sodders
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steve Sodders

Yep. As an added bonus, Sodders was the original sponsor of the Senate version of the Omnibus Gun Bill - SF425.

I've been sending the following message to Senate leadership. I figure they're getting hounded with the IFC form letters, and a little variety might brighten their day...

Mike Gronstal - [email protected]
Steve Sodders - [email protected]
Rick Bertrand - [email protected]
Bill Dix - [email protected]
Pam Jochum - [email protected]

Pass SF425 AS WRITTEN!

Good morning-

I'm a gun owning Iowan, and a firm believer in my Second Amendment rights. It's very frustrating to hear SF425 is being attacked and may not advance in it's original form.

Permit to Carry holders are not criminals, by now I'd hope you're well aware of this fact. And as such we do not deserve to be treated like convicts. Giving the media the freedom to access and publish our personal information at will is an insult to hundreds of thousands of law abiding Iowans who've committed no crime and done no wrong. We do not deserve to be treated like sex offenders with our personal information published for all the world to see.

Repealing the ban on supervised youth handgun shooting is a family rights issue. I know my family and my children better than anyone else in this world. It should not be up to the legislature when I am allowed to teach my children how to properly handle firearms. I should not have to teach my children how to shoot knowing that if I don't wait until they're a certain age I could be a criminal. Firearms are a family issue, one generation teaches another. The current age restrictions are an affront to family traditions and values shared by Iowans statewide.

SSB1251 has already passed out of the Judiciary Committee, and I'd like to see its new form - SF425 - passed by the whole Senate. There are thousands of Iowans like me. You're in a unique position to help move this bill forward. Please tell your members to hold firm and pass SF425 as it was originally written. It's time to take a stand for law abiding Iowans, and family rights. You can do both of these by advancing SF425 without amendments.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Senator Tony Bisignano has not repsonded yet.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Looks like SF425 has been placed on the calendar but I can't find a date.
Page / 15
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top