BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Page / 15
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any updates on this so we can get the word out to hammer the Senate?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Any updates on this so we can get the word out to hammer the Senate?

https://www.facebook.com/IowaFirearmsCoalition/posts/913028202072589

Just as expected, late last night the Iowa House passed it's version of the 2015 Appropriations Bill (aka Standings Bill).

The bill passed with the language of SF427, the Omnibus Firearms Bill included. This is great news for our cause.

There's still work to be done, but it's expected that the Appropriations bill, including the Omnibus Firearms Bill, will ultimately be decided on in a conference committee made up of House Republicans and Senate Democrats.

The situation is still fluid and subject to change, but things are looking better than they have for weeks.

Now would be a very good time to thank the Iowa House Republicans for their continued commitment to protecting and enhancing our Second Amendment rights. They've now passed the Omnibus Firearms Bill 3 times in one session, not to mention many many other pro gun owner bills over the last couple of years.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome!   Thanks
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#3]
O Septic,

I'm not making assumptions just telling it how it is.  Look back at all my predictions and suggestions this thread, I'm batting 100%, sadly I wish I was wrong and this was already law!

NOW

THAT SAID

Conference committee is a VERY GOOD THING FOR US!  I am now more excited than I have been for weeks.  hopefully my prediction record keeps.... Because we have a good chance to keep [most of] OGB if this is true!
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#4]
8mm called it. I don't know or care what a conference committee is, but I like the sound of it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:50:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Any movement at all today?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:14:21 AM EDT
[#6]
At least get us the suppressors for sure
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Serious question. Does anyone think there will be movement on this today?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

We hear you brony... 'Just get me what I want and I'll be happy'

Have you ever considered that sometimes there is more in the world than just you? That posting stuff like this on a public forum gives our cause that much less momentum?

Learn to help the 2nd Amendment cause 'for the greater good', whether it helps you specifically or not. If we could get all gun owners to do that, we would be an unstoppable force and the Senate (specifically) couldn't ignore us. As long as we keep tearing ourselves apart from within they can just sit back and watch.

Also, lose the My Little Pony stuff.... you are an adult.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope. The Senate adjourned at 9:06am until 10am on Tuesday, May 26.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Some old friends tell me they are going to be negotiating this bill for at least a week, maybe more.  K12 funding for the next two years is kind of a hot button that will need some serious compromise between the House And Senate.  I'd sit tight, OGB will likely be something that is hammered out in the last hours as they go through all the amendments.

There is a ton of stuff in this bill that need to be addressed, some of which are big deals for a lot of people including:

Early retirement incentives for certain state employees

Changes to the marijuana oil law that was recently passed

Funding for new interoperability radio systems statewide

Specific authorizations for several state departments that need some very specific and very expensive equipment

And many more, plus we will also see more talk (again) about fireworks, red light cameras, medical marijuana...

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the update
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you ever considered that sometimes there is more in the world than just you? That posting stuff like this on a public forum gives our cause that much less momentum?

Learn to help the 2nd Amendment cause 'for the greater good', whether it helps you specifically or not. If we could get all gun owners to do that, we would be an unstoppable force and the Senate (specifically) couldn't ignore us. As long as we keep tearing ourselves apart from within they can just sit back and watch.

View Quote

I bet a lot of people in the last couple years signed up and donated just for supressors. They have to earn my money by working on something I care about.

I only donate to 2 things, boy scouts and Gun groups. Scouts has let me down already. I avoid their moms at the grocery store selling $20 popcorn now.

People are holding back a lot of frustration because this is an open forum. There have probably been 100+ replies to this thread that the author deleted before posting because it's too pissed off.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
O Septic,

I'm not making assumptions just telling it how it is.  Look back at all my predictions and suggestions this thread, I'm batting 100%, sadly I wish I was wrong and this was already law!

NOW

THAT SAID

Conference committee is a VERY GOOD THING FOR US!  I am now more excited than I have been for weeks.  hopefully my prediction record keeps.... Because we have a good chance to keep [most of] OGB if this is true!
View Quote

actually, when this is all over, if it really matters to you, i can provide the perspective that will make you roll your eyes a bit about what you think may be happening...  but that'll be a future conversation about the past.  ha!

and yes...  conference committee, should that happen, is a place where the differences in the bill from the legislature will be hammered out - literally...  

it'll boil down to a few things.  1, how much the senate thinks it'll hurt them if they deny it somehow.  2, how much love the house has for it.  and 3, what each think our threshold really is.  so when pony and others send them a clear public message on a thread i've told you guys three times now they their aids are monitoring for them as a means to gauge the feelings of the motivated 2A community, and you show division and 'mine, mine, mine' it tends to dilute our efforts.  

i'm not shitting you one bit either...
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

the timing on this is a bit of a game.  there are rumors gronstal will hold out until the end of june just to make it painful for people.  schools are an issue as the % of funding isn't set yet.  so the unions have already negotiated contracts, raises, etc for next year.  however, the funding isn't appropriated yet.  thus, the schools don't know what if anything they have to cut since their budget isn't funded.  ask yourself who gets credit autonomously for school yummies?  Ds...  so if gronstal dicks around the Rs get continual blame and frustration even though they've been trying to work on this from day one.  in the meantime our issues get used as a political volleyball.

what does this mean for us?

two things.  1, we have to understand it'll take as much time as it takes to get what we want.  2, we have to stay diligent since the only way we're going to get what we need is to be the last man standing...  literally...

the house needs to love us and our movement, because we're asking them to hold out against many other issues they're considering by asking our issues to take a higher priority.  if your house rep voted repeatedly for our legislation, you better be calling them up at their local numbers to thank them for their work.  they're going to be the way this gets saved.  couple the fear of the senate since they've shafted us several times now and the love we can give the house for their work and hopefully we can achieve our goals.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#15]
it is also interesting information for you all to have that MN legalized cans.  D house.  D senate.  D governor.  One session.  LAW...

remind people and legislators of this in your travels...  

so now it's california, AAAMMMERICA, us and illinois, more AAAMMMERICA, and new york and jersey basically that looks like dumbfucks on a big map...
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:29:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This isn't GD so mind the personal attacks sir. And also, I have done as much as most people here in support in the 2A - including supporting the 2A in places where that is not as popular and lastly asking for everything is not going to work in a more moderate state like Iowa imo. The Democrats have to play to their base and if you ask for everything all at once, you wind up with nothing - as we have found this session. If all they are willing to give us this session is suppressors it is irresponsible to not take that imo.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#17]
This is chess, not go-fish. We don't just  sit back and "take what they are willing to GIVE us"
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is chess, not go-fish. We don't just  sit back and "take what they are willing to GIVE us"
View Quote

I'm so freakin sick of hearing that its not like you're holding shit over the dems heads and Big pony is right
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Minnesota and Vermont are now better than us. Minnesota and Vermont. Think about that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Minnesota and Vermont are now better than us. Minnesota and Vermont. Think about that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vermont too? Aww man. Minnestota had some full autos and sbs I think at least. So they already had something on us.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm so freakin sick of hearing that its not like you're holding shit over the dems heads and Big pony is right
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So in this world some of you guys live in.  When everyone comes out for the big ticket items like suppressors and short barrel rifles and then we get them.  Are those same people gonna come out and fight for everyones rights on the shit that we still need but aren't gucci gear?  People keep talking like the IFC is asking for this huge deal.  Don't try to eat the whole elephant at once.  

What is the whole elephant.  What is in the omnibus bill we have been working so hard for?  There isn't really all that much when it comes right down to it.  There is some clean up on our somewhat rushed in appearance permit system.  There is some protections for the permit system so we don't get nuts posting up everyone's address for criminals to target.  It cleans up the system allowing for better interoperability between counties so that there is a generic system possibly helping to erase confusion and stop criminals from tricking good gun owners into selling them firearms.  We are also looking to make it so that responsible adults can teach their children firearms safety in regards to children.  God forbid a child found a handgun laying on the ground and didn't know not to touch it or what it is capable of.  Ignorance doesn't equate to safety for them.  You want to talk about sad and other states beating us?  How about that it is a crime for me to allow my son to shoot a 22 pistol in Iowa but next door in South Dakota it is considered common sense and good parenting.  

I agree whole heartedly that we need to lock down suppressors this year.  It shouldn't be by itself though and it shouldn't be handed off without a fight.

Remember we still have.  SBR, SBS, constitutional carry, a R2KAB amendment at the state level, some kind of stand your ground type deal, college carry rights and countless other important issues that might be really important to one person and not so to another.  The idea that you paid IFC 30 bucks because you wanted a suppressor so it needs to get done.  Well what about me I asked to secure my right to carry on my college campus.  It hasn't been discussed at all this year and likely won't be discussed for years to come.  Yet I will continue to lobby for it on my own and push to others to recognized the injustice and the risk ground adults face simply because they want a higher education.

I don't understand why some of you feel you have to air this on here repeatedly.  The session is almost over what do you get if you are right?  You get to say I told you so?  I don't like betting against my gun rights and I sure as shit don't like when others openly denounce people who have put in a ridiculous number of hours trying to get this done for us.

This subforum has filled up with a bunch of worthless fudds and I feel less and less that this is any kind of community I want to be a part of.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I have my opinions on this issue, but I think we should wait and see how this all plays out first.  Then we can debate what to do next year based upon this years outcome.

When negotiating and possibly willing to make a compromise you don't let the other side know where your breaking point is.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So in this world some of you guys live in.  When everyone comes out for the big ticket items like suppressors and short barrel rifles and then we get them.  Are those same people gonna come out and fight for everyones rights on the shit that we still need but aren't gucci gear?  People keep talking like the IFC is asking for this huge deal.  Don't try to eat the whole elephant at once.  

What is the whole elephant.  What is in the omnibus bill we have been working so hard for?  There isn't really all that much when it comes right down to it.  There is some clean up on our somewhat rushed in appearance permit system.  There is some protections for the permit system so we don't get nuts posting up everyone's address for criminals to target.  It cleans up the system allowing for better interoperability between counties so that there is a generic system possibly helping to erase confusion and stop criminals from tricking good gun owners into selling them firearms.  We are also looking to make it so that responsible adults can teach their children firearms safety in regards to children.  God forbid a child found a handgun laying on the ground and didn't know not to touch it or what it is capable of.  Ignorance doesn't equate to safety for them.  You want to talk about sad and other states beating us?  How about that it is a crime for me to allow my son to shoot a 22 pistol in Iowa but next door in South Dakota it is considered common sense and good parenting.  

I agree whole heartedly that we need to lock down suppressors this year.  It shouldn't be by itself though and it shouldn't be handed off without a fight.

Remember we still have.  SBR, SBS, constitutional carry, a R2KAB amendment at the state level, some kind of stand your ground type deal, college carry rights and countless other important issues that might be really important to one person and not so to another.  The idea that you paid IFC 30 bucks because you wanted a suppressor so it needs to get done.  Well what about me I asked to secure my right to carry on my college campus.  It hasn't been discussed at all this year and likely won't be discussed for years to come.  Yet I will continue to lobby for it on my own and push to others to recognized the injustice and the risk ground adults face simply because they want a higher education.

I don't understand why some of you feel you have to air this on here repeatedly.  The session is almost over what do you get if you are right?  You get to say I told you so?  I don't like betting against my gun rights and I sure as shit don't like when others openly denounce people who have put in a ridiculous number of hours trying to get this done for us.

This subforum has filled up with a bunch of worthless fudds and I feel less and less that this is any kind of community I want to be a part of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll push for anything pro gun and anything pro freedom-that I hear about.

Sometimes it gets overwhelming with all the attacks on freedom and it's hard to keep up (I own an auto repair shop and towing service,live in the country,have motorcycles,have guns,have horses and chickens/ducks/guineas/etc)-the assaults come from all sides at once sometimes.

Hell,I'm still pushing to overturn the smoking ban (and I gave never smoked and don't like it).

Mostly it comes down to the old "It doesn't affect me/I don't care about it",so I don't give a shit attitude.I have no idea how to change that,but I know it works in the politicians favor.An example would be the bullshit law forcing those of us with septic tanks to put new in/make sure it's updated before the property can be sold-go after the small percentage since the vast majority don't care.

The gun issue is the same-we just need to push and try and get thru to people that every little bit helps.Even if you don't want a suppressor/machine gun/etc,your kids might.

I guess what I'm rambling on about is don't give up.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick, you and I are on exactly the same page, damn near to the word.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Finally got a reply back from Liz Mathis today.

Matthew,

What do you want most in the bill now in the Senate? Background check changes? Suppressors?

Liz

Sent from my iPhone

Working up my response to her now.  Trying to put it nicely that I won't except anything less than all of it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#27]
In other words Liz wants to throw you a bone and expects you to full.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Matthew,

What do you want most in the bill now in the Senate? Background check changes? Suppressors?

Liz

Sent from my iPhone

Working up my response to her now.  Trying to put it nicely that I won't except anything less than all of it.
View Quote

They still think it is about background checks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Agree with Nick and septic.    The bitching and second guessing need to stop, and that energy put to good use.  Vermont just became the 41st state to legalize suppressors, keep pushing and make iowa the 42nd!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't get that statement either, if that is really how you feel then bye.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uncalled for but hey I was looking for a new sig line
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#33]
keep pants in 'on' position.  ...at least for now.

is there any way i can convince you guys to hang in there until the session is over?  lol...

for those of you that are interested, i'd like you to reach out to me.  give me a call with the number on my site and i'll get you up to speed as best as i can.  it'll make more sense.  i'm simply not posting up the battle plan.  

hugs for anyone that needs them, and if you don't, you get them anyway.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Matthew,

Liz

Sent from my iPhone

View Quote

Hey lady, we want ALL OF IT! Why else do you think we included everything we did?

Good on you for standing firm and keeping her engaged MattC.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

two things.  1, we have to understand it'll take as much time as it takes to get what we want.  2, we have to stay diligent since the only way we're going to get what we need is to be the last man standing...  literally...

the house needs to love us and our movement, because we're asking them to hold out against many other issues they're considering by asking our issues to take a higher priority.  if your house rep voted repeatedly for our legislation, you better be calling them up at their local numbers to thank them for their work.  they're going to be the way this gets saved.  couple the fear of the senate since they've shafted us several times now and the love we can give the house for their work and hopefully we can achieve our goals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm quoting this because it's the best analysis I've yet heard and in case anyone missed it.  I have too much invested in Iowa and God help me this state will be better for my children or I will die trying.  It's easy to forget that the battle is worth it sometimes but when we win, we can look back in 30 years and there will be no question how far we came and we will all remember the battle, along with the feeling that comes with restoring freedoms in all forms.

The fact that we are still on the table on May 24th means we're doing the right things.  The fact that half of the legislature is willing to carry the fight to the final hour means we are doing the right things.

Keep calm and carry on!  And thank you to all our veterans!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:32:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

is there any way i can convince you guys to hang in there until the session is over?  lol...

for those of you that are interested, i'd like you to reach out to me.  give me a call with the number on my site and i'll get you up to speed as best as i can.  it'll make more sense.  i'm simply not posting up the battle plan.  

View Quote

Pants on is uncomfortable.

I'm keeping up with my phone calls and emails. Mailed about 50 handwritten letters also.

Fight to the finish everyone!
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Latest IFC action alert

http://iowafc.org/action/?vvsrc=%2fcampaigns%2f40527%2frespond

If this goes to committee the future of the Omnibus bill will basically be subject to horse trading between the House and Senate. That means we better make the House and Senate know we haven't folded.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#38]
I hit the link and sent the email.

Will call tomorrow afternoon.  

I must be on the ball.  The IFC email hasn't shown up yet.  (It always does.)
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

It went out last night Yammer... might want to check your spam folder? Hard to say exactly why you haven't seen it yet.

Regardless, here's a link to the IFC webpage version (same as the email that went out) -- IFC weekly update
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Should be sending this to senate leadership not just your own senator and rep
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It went out last night Yammer... might want to check your spam folder? Hard to say exactly why you haven't seen it yet.

Regardless, here's a link to the IFC webpage version (same as the email that went out) -- IFC weekly update
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Checked trash.  Got it last night at 10:17 pm. Was far enough into the evening that I was cloudy enough that didn't send it out then.  Thought it was the same thing I hit and emailed leadership about on the 19th.

Regardless, they get regular calls from me due to being programmed into the phone.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:51:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

No doubt.  

Text it to Sodder's cell phone too at 641-751-4140.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I've sent this in today. I'll do so again tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:53:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah Nick is right, he just used the wrong term.
Y'all are acting like a bunch of tactical Timmys.

Oh, and I added the important part back in... Just in case you wanted to address his actual post
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No doubt.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No doubt.  

Niiiiiiiice!!

message sent!
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Oh, and I added the important part back in... Just in case you wanted to address his actual post
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody can address it without being called out for putting information on a public forum, and being called names. No further mention of a certain item is allowed, change the thread title.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm quoting this because it's the best analysis I've yet heard and in case anyone missed it.  I have too much invested in Iowa and God help me this state will be better for my children or I will die trying.  It's easy to forget that the battle is worth it sometimes but when we win, we can look back in 30 years and there will be no question how far we came and we will all remember the battle, along with the feeling that comes with restoring freedoms in all forms.

The fact that we are still on the table on May 24th means we're doing the right things.  The fact that half of the legislature is willing to carry the fight to the final hour means we are doing the right things.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

rock on!
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm keeping up with my phone calls and emails. Mailed about 50 handwritten letters also.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

just keep this in mind: "advocate with pants on, party with pants off"

will that work for you?  lol...
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Latest IFC action alert

http://iowafc.org/action/?vvsrc=%2fcampaigns%2f40527%2frespond

If this goes to committee the future of the Omnibus bill will basically be subject to horse trading between the House and Senate. That means we better make the House and Senate know we haven't folded.
View Quote

there dude!
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Hit the IFC link,  and sent emails to Senate leadership.
Page / 15
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top