Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2014 11:59:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#1]
i definitely love to shoot and love the outdoors, but I don't hunt. I'm not against hunting, and I wouldn't mind trying it out if given the chance, but currently I'm not equipped to hunt anyway(no muzzle loader or shotgun )
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Used to hunt everything Iowa had to offer. Now I only hunt for stuff I put "right over here so I will know where it is at" Do to back injuries I can't do much walking anymore. I really would like to get back out doing it again, but I don't see that happening.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Hunting for sport has always appeared to be an expensive and time consuming hobby.
So, I've never hunted.  I have learned the basics and have helped process deer, pigs, and lambs.  
If I had to feed my family, I know how to hunt and I would.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I seem to only hunt when I'm with family. Used to be with my uncle and now with my son. I just can't get into it. I would rather just use it as an excuse to get out into the woods and show my kids a new hobby.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't hunt.  Nothing against it.    If I did hunt I would only would to eat it or give away to be eaten.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I hunt when I am invited to do so. I have been pheasant hunting I got 3 birds but gave them to person who asked me to go
Deer I have been a few times but never have had luck which sucks because I love deer meet
I went hog last year got a pig and it was eaten within a month I enjoy shooting would do it daily if I could afford it but if given more chances to hunt I would I just don't feel the need to go alone
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I hunt but not as much as I used to . I've found that I really enjoy the shooting aspect of hunting more than the hunt. Now, bowhunting is another story, I love that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#8]
In junior high and high school I'd go squirrel and rabbit hunting with a couple of friends quite a bit.
After high school I'd pheasant hunt with a couple of other friends but one of them was from out of state and it was WAY expensive for him.
We discovered that we had as much, if not more, fun just shooting clays since none of use were really into having the pheasants anyway.
I would like to try turkey hunting once just to see if it is as hard as people say.
Also want to go out and pop a coyote or two just once for the hell of it.
I think it would be a hoot to go feral hog hunting in Texas once too; especially from a helicopter.

ETA: Oh, and I think I'm gonna take up raccoon hunting to as an act of revenge for the one that did $1100 damage to my car a couple of weeks ago.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#9]
If I had all the money I wasted on hunting I'd probably waste it on hunting but I also love fishing
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't hunt.  A guy in my office does and every time he comes back he is pissed about one thing or another.  Bad weather. Bad people he hunts with.  Lack of game to hunt.  So I often wonder why he does it at all. Every time I go to the range I always come back happy.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:37:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't hunt. It's kind of annoying how it's one of those assumed things.

Only had one hunter in the family, but he was too old to pass it on to me, or I was too young depending on how you look at it.

I think I would like to try duck hunting someday, but hunting looks expensive and my luck I'd shoot some damn endangered bird or something.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Love to shoot. Rifle, handgun, shotgun I was raised in the Army my dad shot on different teams and I started shooting at a very young age. Put never got into hunting I like the outdoors and like watching animals in the wild but I never seen a four legged animal in the wild that I thought deserved killing. But punching holes in paper, ringing steel and breaking clay birds is always fun.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Love to shoot. Rifle, handgun, shotgun I was raised in the Army my dad shot on different teams and I started shooting at a very young age. Put never got into hunting I like the outdoors and like watching animals in the wild but I never seen a four legged animal in the wild that I thought deserved killing. But punching holes in paper, ringing steel and breaking clay birds is always fun.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't.  just got my hunters safety course at 33 with the intention of killing coyotes but haven't done it
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to hunt a lot but not so much the last 10 years. Love squirrel, rabbit, pheasant and deer hunting. Lost all of the private ground I used to hunt due to it being sold from one owner to another. Some wanted it for themselves and their friends and some just won't allow hunting. I am not a fan of public ground, especially for deer hunting. When I had good ground I would be out from well before to well after shooting hours during deer season trying for the best buck I knew of in the area.

My small acreage sees some game but not really enough to capitalize on. Deer mostly during the warmer weather until about the time the crops go out then it drops dramatically. A few squirrels but not enough to really hunt. Used to have a quite a few rabbit but about 3 years ago three hawks started hanging around and pretty much decimated the population. The temptation to thin their asses out was hard to resist.

Now I am working on getting into duck and goose. Planning to hunt primarily the Mississippi and anywhere else I can find relatively close by that isn't overrun with other hunters. I am hoping the boat I just bought will not only work for increasing my time fishing but will double as a good blind boat. Will see how it rides the water come warm weather. If that seems feasible I will start planning a removable blind for it.

Hunting can be enjoyable but not when you have to contend with the number and kind of idiots found on public grounds. I know the mighty Miss is full of idiots too but I am much more comfortable knowing I can put enough distance between us that I don't have much to worry about from their shotgun and steel shot.as I would a slug from a shotgun or rifle.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Only had one hunter in the family, but he was too old to pass it on to me, or I was too young depending on how you look at it.

I think I would like to try duck hunting someday, but hunting looks expensive and my luck I'd shoot some damn endangered bird or something.
View Quote

If your interest becomes serious take hunter ed, buy license. beyond that all that's truly needed is camo clothes and a shotgun suitable for birds. Then get ahold of me(PM through here is fine). I'm willing to take anyone along who has enough common sense to be safe. If no bird gun I have a spare for the first couple times so you can decide if you like it. Brings cost of deciding whether you like it to about $100(cheap camo, and about $65 for license) plus ammo.

Booger, if you want to shoot "nuisance animals that don't require a license" you're pretty much limited to house sparrows, European starlings and common garter snakes.Timber rattlesnakes are protected in some counties(mostly the ones that they're found in). Pretty much everything else "shootable" in Iowa is a game species with hunting license and open season required. This includes crows and even pigeons.

Oh yeah, I forgot about feral hogs, DNR says if you see one of those shoot it and report the kill so they know where they are.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

. Used to have a quite a few rabbit but about 3 years ago three hawks started hanging around and pretty much decimated the population. The temptation to thin their asses out was hard to resist.

View Quote

What's the stray cat population like? My father in law's farm hasn't had a huntable rabbit population for 5 years, ever since he had cats on the property. Cats are now gone and rabbits are beginning to return.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Both stray cats and stray hawks are frowned upon in this neck of the woods
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What's the stray cat population like? My father in law's farm hasn't had a huntable rabbit population for 5 years, ever since he had cats on the property. Cats are now gone and rabbits are beginning to return.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

. Used to have a quite a few rabbit but about 3 years ago three hawks started hanging around and pretty much decimated the population. The temptation to thin their asses out was hard to resist.

I would go out and shoot some rabbits with ya!  I built a coyote rifle and have not shot the damn thing once!  Hey did Wally World get fixed?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I would go out and shoot some rabbits with ya!  I built a coyote rifle and have not shot the damn thing once!  Hey did Wally World get fixed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Store has been completely fixed for a bit over a month now. As for rabbit hunting, you're welcome to come along sometime, although I've been doing better on squirrels lately(shot one with my wife's 1911/.22 conversion during deer season). Thinking about hitting the same treestand I shot my deer from on Tuesday-waiting for deer I saw 4 squirrels in an hour. Same stand, .22 rifle, and after deer season I'll have the woods to myself.

ETA-we hear lots of coyotes out there at night too, but have never seen one of them. Every year I plan on hunting them and every year I don't do it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I grew up in Minnesota and would go grouse hunting with my dad  when I was a teenager.

I've been deer hunting once, but glad I didn't get anything as I lived in an apartment at the time so nowhere to put the meat, nor do I even like deer meat.

I would love to go pheasant hunting, but I only have a little Pomeranian for a dog.  lol  I really want to try turkey hunting but after seeing it would cost me about $60 in licenses not to mention all the camo I would have to buy I kinda gave up on that idea.

I would gladly go on any kind of hunting trip if invited, but I really don't have any friends so range time is about all my guns get to see.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm in the haven't hunted because I didn't grow up doing it. I've wanted to get out and try deer hunting, even took the hunters safety course, just hasn't lined up yet with people I know that go out.

If nothing else, I'd like to learn how to dress/process deer because I think it would be a good thing to know.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cat population is nil. It is the hawks. See them flying around sometimes two at a time in the same location and the third in the distance. They also like to sit atop a pole right across the road from my place. I scare their ass off when I see that happen. At some point they should be moving off since the food supply has to be dwindling.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't hunt, but shoot a lot of holes in paper, mostly outdoors. Shot crows with an air rifle as a kid to keep them out of the cherry trees at my aunt and uncles farm.

Have nothing against hunting and enjoy eating wild game. Love the outdoors and do a lot of fishing, including ice fishing. Hopefully the ice will be thick enough in a few weeks for our annual Creston ice fishing trip.

Also like to cayak on the rivers and lakes in and around Iowa. Very peaceful endeavor and a great way to observe nature. Don't know why, just never got into hunting.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If your interest becomes serious take hunter ed, buy license. beyond that all that's truly needed is camo clothes and a shotgun suitable for birds. Then get ahold of me(PM through here is fine). I'm willing to take anyone along who has enough common sense to be safe. If no bird gun I have a spare for the first couple times so you can decide if you like it. Brings cost of deciding whether you like it to about $100(cheap camo, and about $65 for license) plus ammo.

Booger, if you want to shoot "nuisance animals that don't require a license" you're pretty much limited to house sparrows, European starlings and common garter snakes.Timber rattlesnakes are protected in some counties(mostly the ones that they're found in). Pretty much everything else "shootable" in Iowa is a game species with hunting license and open season required. This includes crows and even pigeons.

Oh yeah, I forgot about feral hogs, DNR says if you see one of those shoot it and report the kill so they know where they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shack, you rock man. Offers like this are what keeps the sport of hunting alive. On a slight tangent, anytime one of my non-gun friends starts discussing guns with me I go  out of my way make it a point to try to set up a time to take them shooting. Whether they oppose gun control or not, making sure people positive experiences with guns and convincing them it's not like what they hear on the news is IMHO a big part of how we ensure our 2A rights for the future.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm in the haven't hunted because I didn't grow up doing it. I've wanted to get out and try deer hunting, even took the hunters safety course, just hasn't lined up yet with people I know that go out.

If nothing else, I'd like to learn how to dress/process deer because I think it would be a good thing to know.
View Quote

Accurate - Depending on where you are in the state I would be more than happy to assist with this is you are serious, granted its another year away now unless you want some cold weather bow hunting.  

I can even show you how to dress and process a deer yourself and save the $$$ from the processor.  PM me and we can discuss

ETA....you cant be a dipshit with a gun either
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Cat population is nil. It is the hawks. See them flying around sometimes two at a time in the same location and the third in the distance. They also like to sit atop a pole right across the road from my place. I scare their ass off when I see that happen. At some point they should be moving off since the food supply has to be dwindling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should be a season on redtails our neighbor was mowing hay kept bumping a bunch of small phasants around hawks got them all by the time he was done
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#28]
cutting elms out of plumb thickets helps.  or wastes gas before bulldozers push good places to hunt birds into big burn piles.

I have been pleased with how quail seem to be coming back to the area where I spent most of my time hunting as a kid.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
cutting elms out of plumb thickets helps.  or wastes gas before bulldozers push good places to hunt birds into big burn piles.

I have been pleased with how quail seem to be coming back to the area where I spent most of my time hunting as a kid.
View Quote

I've seen more quail this year than I ever have
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:54:20 AM EDT
[#30]
I have never hunted before, but the wife and I are going to try and turkey hunt next year.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Never hunted.
Took the Hunter safety course years ago... Just never got out

One of these days I'll go. I have several friends who offer to teach me the ropes, I'll get around to it one of these days.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Should be a season on redtails our neighbor was mowing hay kept bumping a bunch of small phasants around hawks got them all by the time he was done
View Quote

Legality aside, I have never seen a redtail in a situation where I could safely shoot it. Makes it frustrating when hunting seasons are closed and I'm after critters with my camera.

Almost as frustrating? In 10+ years of goose hunting, two bands. Then I go to East Park in Mason City and 9/10 geese tend to be banded. As big a success story as eagles(giant Canadas were thought to be extinct in the 70s, then a small flock was seen in MN). Now they're a plague. Sure they taste good, but the population needs to make a big decline.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top