Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2014 1:40:37 PM EDT
The Iowa Firearms Coalition has just activated it's first Action Alert of the 2015 legislative session. We want Iowa's lawmakers to be fully aware BEFORE they even go to Des Moines to start work on January 12th that we oppose all gun control measures.
Hit this link to send the message to legislators in your district. Establishing contact before the session even begins will help establish our voice with lawmakers, and make sure they know from the get go that we're keeping a very close eye on their activities in Des Moines.

You all should be on the email list already, but just to be thorough, the following email went out IFC members last night. Sign up for the IFC newsletter HERE..

Fellow Iowans:

In just over a month Iowa's 86th General Assembly will convene in Des Moines. Our lawmakers need to know from the very beginning that we have certain expectations. That's why we've created our Legislative Action Center. It lets you find exactly who your legislators are and makes it easy for you to establish contact with them. If you're not exactly sure how to put your thoughts into words, we offer pre-written the emails for you to send. This can't be stressed enough: making frequent contact with your legislators is one of the most effective ways to protect your rights, and the Iowa Firearms Coalition wants to make that process as easy as possible.

On January 12th we begin a new legislative session, and with the NRA and your help we plan to chart new territory. In recent years we've had limited success passing pro-2nd Amendment bills. It's not because those bills lacked strong support. On the contrary, they generally had a huge backing. But one anti-gun legislator, Senator Rob Hogg of Cedar Rapids, held a key position in the legislature, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. From there he used procedural measures to block every bill that the Iowa Firearms Coalition and the NRA supported.

This year things are going to be different though. Rob Hogg is no longer the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. He's been replaced by Steve Sodders of State Center. Sodders is a Marshall County Sheriff's Deputy. In recent years he's supported some of our bills. But he's also opposed others. Let's make sure Steve Sodders knows full well that Iowans believe strongly in our 2nd Amendment rights and will fight any attempt to infringe on those rights.

We've just activated a pre-session action titled "2nd Amendment supporter looking forward to the upcoming session" in our Legislative Action Center. This is a great tool that allows Iowans to send a strong, pro-2nd Amendment message to Iowa's lawmakers before the legislative session even begins. We'll be updating the Legislative Action Center as various bills come up during the session, and we'll be in touch each time we do.

Fighting for our 2nd Amendment rights,

Sheena Green
Communications Director
Iowa Firearms Coalition

Iowa Firearms Coalition is an entirely volunteer, grassroots, 2nd Amendment advocacy group. Responsible for bringing uniformity to Iowa's Concealed Weapons Permitting process, IFC's members work to protect and enhance 2nd Amendment rights in Iowa. An affiliate of the National Rifle Association, the IFC actively seeks to foster and promote the shooting sports. Sign up for our email list for the latest on 2nd Amendment issues in Iowa. You can support our work by becoming a member, or making a donation.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
DONE!
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Done
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Done
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Done
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Done!
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#6]
You guys rock. We've getting good traffic on this one.

Feel free to call me a political nerd, but I'm legitimately excited for the upcoming session. It's going to interesting with Sodders leading the Sen Judiciary Committee. We've got our work cut out for us no doubt about it, but getting the message out before the session even begins will be big, and will help us hit the ground running.

I look forward to many more of these sorts of things as we get rolling on January 12th.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:20:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Copied the template, modified a little, and sent it to mine via my personal email since the IFC page didn't allow for changing it.  It is probably lost on my guys (Hatch and Hunter), but I intend to modify it a little more and send it to everyone who serves in each chamber this Assembly.  

Once session starts in January I'll be following up with phone calls to all of the ones who aren't adamantly and actively working against us. I want them to know that Senate Dems from last session motivated me to go door-to-door to take away their jobs, and it was their lack of support that motivated me to do it for the first time in my life.

Here's my letter:

I live in your district (33), I'm a firearms owner, and I place a very high value on my 2nd Amendment rights. I'm part of a very large and active community of Iowa firearms enthusiasts. I am a member of the Iowa Firearms Coalition and the NRA.

I do not consider myself a Republican or a Democrat, but I do support those who support 2A legislation.  When legislation was passed in 2010 and 2011 regarding 2A and hunting rights (not to be confused with each other), I had a lot of support for Democrats who passed the legislation.

This year was different.  After I watched a bill regarding Suppressors die in the State Senate I was motivated to make phone calls and go door-to-door to support candidates in close races who could displace Democratic Senators who voted against the bill (All but Dennis Black did the first time it went up for a vote).  This is the first time I have ever been moved to such action, although I will continue in the same manner until 2A legislation is supported in both Chambers.

This session there will surely be several bills that impact my rights as a firearms owner. As one of your constituents I want you to know that I will be keeping a close eye all of these bills and plan to be in contact with you regularly. I want to make this perfectly clear from the start; I do not support any bill that will restrict, alter, or infringe on my 2nd Amendment rights.

If there's anything I can do to help you advance pro-2nd Amendment bills please let me know.

I will support you if you support me, regardless of party affiliation.

Sincerely,

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Done,

Also sending written letters to a few people.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

DONE!
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Done
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Done
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:21:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Done
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:14:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Sent a couple emails of my own since both of my local reps have heard from me before. Here's to a productive 2015!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Has anyone heard back from their reps? My local is Anesa - she abhor's guns and anything gun related.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Done! We better get suppressors this year at the least
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top