Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 12/7/2014 10:52:39 AM EDT
I will be visiting family in the Cedar Rapids area on the week of the 14th. Anything fun or interesting to see in the area? My stepmothers house is in Fairfax. Any good restaurants around I can take the wife out to for dinner. I will read up the Iowa gun law sticky and see if my Texas CHL is valid.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have any interest in motorcycles. J&P parts and the National motorcycle museum are in Anamosa.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:17:41 AM EDT
[#2]
There are no GOOD restaurants in Cedar Rapids.  The city has a habit of killing good eateries and it seems like only bland chains survive.  All of the areas good restaurants are in Iowa City, 20 miles south.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 3:30:26 AM EDT
[#3]
The Amana colonies are just south and have several good restaurants (in main Amana).  Nice furniture shop (some locally made), wineries, and Meat Market- nice place to waste an afternoon if you're so inclined.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#4]
We recognize every states permit carriers op. No fully auto or suppressed unfortunately (although hopefully that will change this year) other than that pretty much good to go. :)
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. I might go check out the motorcycle museum. Good luck with getting cans made legal. I still don't have deep enough pockets to get into full auto toys .
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are no GOOD restaurants in Cedar Rapids.  The city has a habit of killing good eateries and it seems like only bland chains survive.  All of the areas good restaurants are in Iowa City, 20 miles south.
View Quote

Good beer and burger places:
Parlor City
Zepplins (much more than beer and burgers if you want, 3-6pm doubles on very good beer taps -- like 20 of them)

Good high-class (and high price) places:
Syndicate
Cobble Hill
The Class Act (restaurant at Kirkwood's cooking school) (I believe the former owner or chef from Blend works there now - before closing he was the best food in town)

All of these mentioned are not chains.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're up for a drive, Stone City in Anamosa (combine it with your J&P trip) is a good little joint. Better in the summer when you can sit outside.

2nd for Parlor City, otherwise, not much that I've experienced.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If you're up for a drive, Stone City in Anamosa (combine it with your J&P trip) is a good little joint. Better in the summer when you can sit outside.

2nd for Parlor City, otherwise, not much that I've experienced.
View Quote
this

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks again for the suggestions. I will see what I have time for and can get into.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:56:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I always stop in the Maid Rite when I go back. Also the Irish Democrat, Nasos and there was a place somewhere with a big pork tenderloin sandwich.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:44:48 PM EDT
[#11]
If you like beer, local breweries include Lion Bridge, Another Road, and the "old standby" Third Base.  And those are just the ones in Cedar Rapids/Marion, leaving out Big Grove in Solon, Backpocket in Coralville, etc.    Lion Bridge has some food, Third Base is mostly bar food (but good), Another Road is pretty minimalist and just has popcorn.

If you like pizza, Ruby's is very good.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you like beer, local breweries include Lion Bridge, Another Road, and the "old standby" Third Base.  And those are just the ones in Cedar Rapids/Marion, leaving out Big Grove in Solon, Backpocket in Coralville, etc.    Lion Bridge has some food, Third Base is mostly bar food (but good), Another Road is pretty minimalist and just has popcorn.

If you like pizza, Ruby's is very good.
View Quote

Ya, Another Road is purely beer, but last time I went and got a sampler of everything on tap, I liked everything. And I'm moderately picky about beer.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:21:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm gonna say that if you are looking for a tenderloin, breaded, try the Hy-Vee Deli.
Yeah, yeah, I know, the tenderloin snobs will foo-foo it as being a fast food version, but damn, Imma liking them.
They are about the size of a dinner plate; pile on the onions and dill pickle slices, add some mustard and a bit of ketchup...
Some will say my tenderloin pallet is underdeveloped, but I am from Iowa... I know eating pork.
Finish off with a piece of cherry cheesecake.
SOB, now I'm hungry.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I always stop in the Maid Rite when I go back. Also the Irish Democrat, Nasos and there was a place somewhere with a big pork tenderloin sandwich.
View Quote

Last time I ate there (like, over 8 years ago) the food was really good as far as bar food goes.  And they didn't ask a lot of questions before serving beer with dinner, which mattered to me at the time.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Granite city was good last time I was there. There is also a nice indoor range in Hiawatha if you want to make some noise.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#16]
If you want Sushi there is only one place good enough to recommend in town - Sushi House.
I have taken clients to Zepplins and they seem to like it but I think its too pricey for what it is.
Winnefrieds is good it looks like a strip club from the outside but all class inside.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top