Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2014 9:58:15 AM EDT
So was thinking about building a .450 bushmaster pistol for deer hunting and had read some of septics post and others input on here. While researching the components I also checked the 2014-15 Iowa hunting and trapping regulations and did not see the caliber listed. Has it ever been? I thought I had read septic was the one that had gotten it approved? If I'm mistaken I stand Corrected.  Thanks for any info

Edited for spelling
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#1]
They did away with the January antler-less season in Southern Iowa?  For pistol it should be legal and I don't see it listed?
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The only one I remember him getting on there for pistol was 50 beo.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Simple answer is to call your local DNR officer for the correct answer. He's the one you'd likely have to deal with in the end anyway.................

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:19:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I was wrong. I did some hunting and yeah septic got the .50 Beowulf approved.  Not the .450 bushy . I should have waited to post. I actually was googling it when I read the hunters and trappers guide but it wouldn't load . I was confused my bad. Now to research the Beo
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#5]
When I called the DNR a while back the lady on the phone told me any straight walled cartridge was legal. She didn't say anything about each individual caliber, just that it had to be straight walled.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When I called the DNR a while back the lady on the phone told me any straight walled cartridge was legal. She didn't say anything about each individual caliber, just that it had to be straight walled.
View Quote
In the book it says the same then goes on to state what calibers. Guess I should've waited for my internet connection to do my homework before I started asking. Wish 300 BO with suppressor was on there

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#7]
This always seems like dangerous territory to me.  

The 2014 deer regs state:

Only the following center-fire cartridges may
be used: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .375
Winchester, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .401 Power-
mag, 10 mm Auto, .41 Remington Magnum, .41
Action Express, .44 S&W Special, .44 Reming-
ton Magnum, .44 Automag, .444 Marlin, .445
Super Mag, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Super Mag,
.45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Silhouette, .451
Detonics, .454 Casull, .45-70 Govt., .460
Rowland, .460 S&W Mag, .475 Widley Mag-
num, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action
Express, .50 Linebaugh, .50 Beowulf and .500
S&W Mag.
View Quote

That doesn't sound like just any straight walled cartridge could be used.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, there's no 9mm - .380 - .38 special - or .25acp on that list. They are too small a caliber and are not valid calibers for Deer hunting. Again, talking to the local DNR officer will get you the correct answer for that cartridge.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I know a .40 S&W to the brain box puts them on the ground really fast with only one kick and a couple of twitches left in them.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know a .40 S&W to the brain box puts them on the ground really fast with only one kick and a couple of twitches left in them.
View Quote

.44 magnum does the same. At the same time, I have only had one time that a headshot with a handgun was even a feasible option. Tracking someone's wounded buck and stumbled on another deer hiding in a bush. Less than ten yards, deer not moving. Unless the deer is already wounded and not going anywhere, a head shot, especially with a handgun is not a good idea. Too small of a kill zone.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#11]
With so many "handgun" cartridges coming and going and the speed at which they are being developed, I would like to see the wording changed to some sort of min/max standards to allow a wider variety of cartridges.  The list seems somewhat arbitrary.  Is the .444 Marlin really a "handgun" cartridge?  Seems like that would be a lot to launch from your hand.

Is that wording controlled by the DNR or by law makers?

I would like to try an AR pistol in the field in place of my shotgun, especially at the ranges I'm shooting at, which are almost always <100 yards.

ETA: subbed handgun in place of pistol
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I would like to try an AR pistol in the field in place of my shotgun, especially at the ranges I'm shooting at, which are almost always <100 yards.
View Quote
This is why I started the thread because I also would like to try something different. I'm in the process of researching a .50 Beowulf and they seem pretty spendy but this seems to be the only option to hunt deer with an AR in Iowa. Not just .50 but with an AR variant that is. Thinking of selling or trading a 5.56 to fund this. Now if we can get Septic to get more calibers approved we would be set!

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:36:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yep, there's no 9mm - .380 - .38 special - or .25acp on that list. They are too small a caliber and are not valid calibers for Deer hunting. Again, talking to the local DNR officer will get you the correct answer for that cartridge.
View Quote
I understand that its not on the list, therefore I know its not legal. I was confused about which one Michael had gotten approved because I had read one of his older post and he said if he was to do another build he would try to get the .450 bushy approved because its faster flatter and cheaper. When I posted this thread for some reason Google wasn't working well so I just went off memory and had the two calibers (.450 Bushmaster/ .50 Beowulf) switched around in my head. I should have waited before posting. Again I stand corrected, so no need to call the local game warden to ask because I know the answer now

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:04:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  Is the .444 Marlin really a "pistol" cartridge?  Seems like that would be a lot to launch from your hand.
View Quote

I would say the same for .50 Beowulf...  hell, I'd say the same for .500 S&W...  
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:06:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Actually, making a phone call is probably all you need to do to get it added to the list.  I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that it didn't take much for Michael to convince them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:09:06 AM EDT
[#16]
If I make the call for you and have success, will you hook me up with a free 450 Bushy?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:15:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll also work for brass.  Right now I'm feeling like I could use a good quantity of virgin .338 Lapua.

You don't even have to send anything unless I am successful.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:58:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
. .  Is the .444 Marlin really a "handgun" cartridge?  Seems like that would be a lot to launch from your hand.

View Quote

No experience with .444 Marlin, but .45-70 is definitely a handful. Leverevolution is about like one handing a 12 gauge.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#19]
It would be much simpler if they would just state any straight walled cartridge over .40 caliber.

There are quite a few thing in the DNR Admin Rules that could use some changes and clarification. No carrying uncased weapons on ATV's and no carrying handguns during bow only season are just a couple that come to mind.

The DNR pretty much writes their own Administrative rules on how things will be when it come to anything hunting or land related. Thankfully they didn't throw too big of a fit over the shall issue law and carrying un-cased weapons in vehicles.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:39:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh they threw a fit! That's why the language changed in the regulations to refer to ATVs UTVs and such as OHVs (Off Highway Vehicles) . I heard they pitched a real bitch about it! I agree 100% that it needs to be changed at least for property owners to be able to carry on their own land regardless of how they're traveling on it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#21]
The ATV part was always in the law or Admin Code.  Several County Officers weren't happy about being allowed to carry long guns in a vehicle un-cased. That was also always allowed with a permit, they didnt like that about anyone can get a permit.   They bitched about it but since it was the law and not an area that they have control over they couldn't really bitch enough to be able to do anything about it.

I also notice that they have removed spot lighting coyotes at night from the book and that is now considered illegal.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It would be much simpler if they would just state any straight walled cartridge over .40 caliber.
View Quote

Why do you hate 357 mag?
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#23]
only calibers listed by the DNR are going to be recognized.  if they aren't 'straight wall' chamberings, then won't qualify.  if you want a 450bushy added, then snag the saami specs and provide them to the DNR and find the right person.  they'll double check it, and list it.  simple.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Simple answer is to call your local DNR officer for the correct answer. He's the one you'd likely have to deal with in the end anyway.................

View Quote

that's probably the worst thing you can do.  he/she may or may not know the code/law/regs, and can only give you an opinion on most cases.  very few actually regurgitate the information in the correct manner.  besides, the 'dnr dude i talked to said...' won't help you when they're tossing the bracelets on and confiscating your shit...
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Past experience has taught me that the local DNR officer is exactly who you need to talk to! He is a trained professional, and is aware of the local mood and issues in your area! If you get busted, this is also the individual that you will likely be dealing with. In almost all cases there are redundant  laws on the books that are not actively enforced. An example being carrying firearms on your property on other than a highway vehicle. Sure there's likely some pricks out there that might make a big deal out of it, but it's mainly about attitude. Contacting your local DNR official with a question or concern, is an important step in establishing a good working relationship.

Remember, they are human too! Not everyone is an asshole!

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#26]
You will probably get a different answer depending on which DNR ( or police) officer you ask about ant law
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Past experience has taught me that the local DNR officer is exactly who you need to talk to! He is a trained professional, and is aware of the local mood and issues in your area! If you get busted, this is also the individual that you will likely be dealing with. In almost all cases there are redundant  laws on the books that are not actively enforced. An example being carrying firearms on your property on other than a highway vehicle. Sure there's likely some pricks out there that might make a big deal out of it, but it's mainly about attitude. Contacting your local DNR official with a question or concern, is an important step in establishing a good working relationship.

Remember, they are human too! Not everyone is an asshole!

View Quote

i'm glad you have a good one.  i do too.  unfortunately that doesn't change the facts.  no matter if he's jesus, citing him as your source while in front of a judge won't do shit.

i'm not suggesting you can't or shouldn't be a source to liaise with.  however, rule and regulation clarity, interface with state and federal code, spurring a contact at the wallace building for adding a caliber to the pistol list, etc. are not their jobs, stated or otherwise.

again, i'm pleased to hear you relationship is a good one, but your advice isn't good.  when you want an bruise-free apple you go the tree, not the grocery store...

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You will probably get a different answer depending on which DNR ( or police) officer you ask about ant law
View Quote

yup.  still won't matter.  offering up code, regs, law, interpretation etc. is not their job.  they aren't expected to do so, nor are they qualified.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Very true! But all I'm saying is why not deal with the person that you'll have to ultimately deal with first, before you have to deal with them under different circumstances? In any similar matter, the DNR or LEO has the ultimate choice as to whether or not the instance requires charges to be filed. There is no eye in the sky overseeing the officer's judgement at the moment of interaction. Again, allot of it is about attitude..................

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Very true! But all I'm saying is why not deal with the person that you'll have to ultimately deal with first, before you have to deal with them under different circumstances? In any similar matter, the DNR or LEO has the ultimate choice as to whether or not the instance requires charges to be filed. There is no eye in the sky overseeing the officer's judgement at the moment of interaction. Again, allot of it is about attitude..................

View Quote

it is about attitude to some degree.  what part of 'not qualified' and 'not their job' and 'not within their discretion' is bad attitude?  i'm not obliged to run my inquiries to the wallace building past my local conservation officer.  nor should their attitude be sour when and if i do.  should it be, then the attitude problem, if any, rests squarely on them.

i've got no problem with the local guy, but whether you agree or not, the silly notion that 'since he's going to be dealing with it anyway' is the proper course of action isn't smart.  he/she doesn't get to decide that.  we did that once.  it was called 'may issue' and it worked like shit.  the local guy doesn't get to weigh in with an unqualified opinion.  he gets to enforce the law.  no more, no less.  asking him/her to be part of an opinion complicates a situation that doesn't require it and places undue burden and expectation on them.  if you're wanting to honor and respect your local dnr guy, stop putting him in a position to decide what the rules are and what your rights are.  when you do that, you're creating a problem even if your intentions and his/hers are the best.

do you see what i mean?

besides, not asking them for unqualified advice isn't a problem, nor should it create one.  do i go ask a beat cop about his opinion on domestic abuse statutes since he's going to be the guy arresting my other half if i get beat up by my spouse?  hell no.  that's a question for the country attorney...  stop putting these guys in the middle just for the sake of being a nice guy.  it actually puts everyone in a poor position.  let these guys do their jobs.  they're complex enough anyway.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#31]
ok, here's the other problem...  i've been thinking about this.

me: can i use a 450 bushmaster as a pistol
dnr dude:  nope
me: k, thanks

me: can i use a 50 beo as a pistol
dnr dude: nope
me: uhhh...  wait.

so you get bad information from the guy you were seeking to form a relationship with.  you find out otherwise that the 50 IS legal.  you use it.  dnr dude rolls up and you visit...

dnr dude: what the hell kind of pistol is that?
me: 50beo i built

doesn't matter what the next response is, whether it is positive or negative.  YOU asked HIM for his opinion.  since he got it wrong, you can either accept bad information and be restricted by his lack of knowledge, or you can go ahead (well within the law) and now you have a guy who might be sideways with you over your choice to do it after you asked him specifically about it and he gave you the "NO" answer.  

what possible good can come from this?  leave these guys alone and get your information from the correct sources.  even a dnr officer if honest, would avoid being put in a situation where they had to provide you concrete clarity on this stuff.  that isn't their job and it isn't their ass in a sling when they make a mistake.  it's yours...
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
only calibers listed by the DNR are going to be recognized.  if they aren't 'straight wall' chamberings, then won't qualify.  if you want a 450bushy added, then snag the saami specs and provide them to the DNR and find the right person.  they'll double check it, and list it.  simple.
View Quote

Hmmmm...seems easy enough.  That's usually when the trap springs...

Since there's no way in Hades of getting this for this year, we could start a list of cartridges we'd like to see approved for net year.  A reasonable list, of course.  We could then submit all as part of one request for review.

450 Bushmaster is an obvious ask.

What about 30 Carbine?
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#33]
How do you hunt with you 50beo pistol? Do you rest it on anything or use a brace?
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

How do you hunt with you 50beo pistol? Do you rest it on anything or use a brace?
View Quote
I've never actually shot an AR pistol but I have fired a port firing weapon (M231) in the service and the buffer tube acts as a decent stock. The sig brace looks handy also. I'm sure follow up shots wouldn't be the easiest. I'm open to any caliber that would take a deer that is legal and that I can build.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:42:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
I don't need to contact the game warden. I can read and it says what calibers are legal. I had read one of septics old post about his 50 beo pistol  and had it confused with a .450 bushmaster since it was also mentioned in some articles I had Googled. Google wasnt working on my phone when I posted this but arfcom did so I jumped the gun more or less. As far as what the officer thinks doesn't matter because that doesn't stand up in court if its not a real law whether or not I have a good attitude. And no there is no eye in the sky but everything now days is almost always recorded either audio video or both so whether the officer wants to be nice or not he or she has to enforce the standard and the standard isn't what they think.

Plain and simple I posted before I had the facts straight and I shouldn't have. I stand corrected and apologize.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks for the Info

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

i built the first one initially on an OA93 upper.  worked like shit, until i got it hammered out.  not terribly fun to shoot, which is why when a guy offered me a ton of cash for it, i sold it...

still, it was not worse than the 500S&W.  i was more worried about some $5 grip breaking off of it than anything else.  i used the BOHICA gill brake on it at the time.  worked pretty well.  lots of surface area and plenty of recoil mitigation.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
i built the first one initially on an OA93 upper.  worked like shit, until i got it hammered out.  not terribly fun to shoot, which is why when a guy offered me a ton of cash for it, i sold it...

still, it was not worse than the 500S&W.  i was more worried about some $5 grip breaking off of it than anything else.  i used the BOHICA gill brake on it at the time.  worked pretty well.  lots of surface area and plenty of recoil mitigation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not familiar with the 0A93 besides the image. That being said do you think a .50 Beo would be easier to shoot with a pistol buffer or Sig brace than your initial setup septic?

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:20:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Sometimes youtube vids get a little silly, but the link below might give you some idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVtTJqWlxJc
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Sometimes youtube vids get a little silly, but the link below might give you some idea.

View Quote
Yes have seen this one

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I have one that I built last year but haven't shot it yet.  (50beo pistol)
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:That being said do you think a .50 Beo would be easier to shoot with a pistol buffer or Sig brace than your initial setup septic?  
View Quote

not yes, but HELL yes.  the arm brace would really make things a bunch easier.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

silly is being kind.  but yea, you get the point...
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What about 30 Carbine?
View Quote

Disqualified by bore diameter. They offer a list of "approved" calibers, but I believe they also kept the .357 or larger diameter.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
Choke yourself! seems like a good holiday activity. Let us know how it goes
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:57:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Get that Beo out or do you want to get rid of it so its not being sheltered?

Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top