Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 11/5/2014 7:26:00 AM EDT
Is there any chance since the election to get the Surpressor Bill going again in the state and get it passed this time ??
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Sure would be nice
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe if you ask Boss Hogg real nice.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is there any chance since the election to get the Surpressor Bill going again in the state and get it passed this time ??
View Quote

No. Iowa does not actually allow the people to vote on what they want.

-there is no way to recall a politician who lies about what they will do, or votes against what you want
-there is no way for the people to force ANY kind of ballot initiative
-the majority party leader of a given legislative body has absolute kill power over any bill he doesn't like, simply by refusing to put it on the voting schedule

Everything you though you learned in school about the people's recourse to legislative gridlock does not apply in the "great" state of Iowa.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know why you would think it would be any different over last go around.  Even if say you got a couple democrat senators that would side with us it still wouldn't make it out of committee.  If it goes to the end of the year into the appropriations game again they might vote in good will but more likely is the leaders would throw around threats and everyone will come back to party lines and it will get scrubbed...like last year.

Im in a pissy mood about this today.  Tomorrow I will start looking at what might be able to be done but I feel like being down about it for a day.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I feel the same way about it
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#6]
It will require the support of the Democratic leadership in the Senate.  Given that we haven't been very nice to them in the past I would guess the chances of their support is negative infinity.  

I don't see any gun bills (good or bad) coming out of the Iowa Legislature this session, and probably the next.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#7]
it only takes ONE or TWO Ds in the right places to make this move.  don't forget that.  some of these guys campaigned on 2A virtues, then let's put them to the test...
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
it only takes ONE or TWO Ds in the right places to make this move.  don't forget that.  some of these guys campaigned on 2A virtues, then let's put them to the test...
View Quote

I like the idea of blackmail better.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure Iowa Gun Owners is already on it. They just need a small donation first.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:46:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm sure Iowa Gun Owners is already on it. They just need a small donation first.
View Quote

Snort
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Needs to be a good old fashion trade.  We want suppressors and they want (fill in the blank).   We need to play hard ball on their bills.  We will support your bill if you support ours.

Has that been tried?  

Joe
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

You need Gronstal on board.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#13]
A federal law that forced 100% ccw reciprocity threw out every state to include those anti gun states would be a leap n the right direction..

At the same time we need to push everything threw in Iowa we can as well...  Even if Hogg does manage to stop them it still puts them all on record for the next election in 2 years.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Snort
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snort

I'm actually surprised I haven't received an email yet asking for money to fight the good fight since the election results were so dismal at the state level. I haven't received one for their legal issues lately either.

ETA: I spoke too soon I guess. Should have checked my email. Got their email 4 minutes before posting the above. This one was about the election and how they helped win the ones we won and how they will tirelessly expose the anti's. This time they are asking for memberships instead of donations. Could we be having an effect on their membership? We can hope.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blackmail is what it will likely take. If anyone can dig up some juicy tidbits on Gronstal and Hogg let the leadership at IFC and the NRA know. Hopefully someone will use it to good effect.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#16]
There are enough current and ex miltary here that we probably could run a succesful infil op and get what we need
Hypothetical of course
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Blackmail is what it will likely take. If anyone can dig up some juicy tidbits on Gronstal and Hogg let the leadership at IFC and the NRA know. Hopefully someone will use it to good effect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gronstal has been in the game a long time.  If there was anything there, it would have come out by now.  Republicans have been after him for years.  

Maybe someone should just sit down and have a nice conversation with him.  He did let the carry law through.  To be signed by a Democratic governor of all things.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Gronstal has been in the game a long time.  If there was anything there, it would have come out by now.  Republicans have been after him for years.  

Maybe someone should just sit down and have a nice conversation with him. He did let the carry law through.  To be signed by a Democratic governor of all things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe someone should just sit down and have a nice conversation with him. He did let the carry law through.  To be signed by a Democratic governor of all things.

I think the only reason Chet signed the Carry bill was because he needed the gun owners on his side to win reelection, which didn't work.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Maybe someone should just sit down and have a nice conversation with him.  He did let the carry law through.  To be signed by a Democratic governor of all things.
View Quote

you're under the false impression we don't do that apparently...  
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you say (half jokingly) that either your signature or your brains will be on that bill?
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 1:36:08 AM EDT
[#21]
It will definitely be difficult to get thro.  Difficult, not impossible.   Harassing Hogg unmercifully (dozens of calls/letters per day), and getting our senators to contact him too will be a start.  I ain't willing to give up.  Time to start ramping up fellas.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Did you say (half jokingly) that either your signature or your brains will be on that bill?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

we continually speak with both house and senate leadership in the majority and minority party.  this isn't NRA's or IFC's first rodeo.  

i was responding to the remark about talking with mike gronstal.  we do that.  we will continue to do that.  what is prudent for him in one election may not be in another.  so you never know for sure where all your supporting votes will be coming from.  thus, we always do what we have to do in order to push our single issue advocacy efforts forward as we work with anyone who will help further our legislation.

that is a hard concept for some to understand.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
that is a hard concept for some IGO to understand.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

There are enough current and ex miltary here that we probably could run a succesful infil op and get what we need

Hypothetical of course
View Quote
If I was half as nimble as I was then

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hypothetical of course

Sometimes the mind needs to be quicker than the body
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#27]
So, other than Joni being elected to the US Senate, it seems as though their have no real changes in Iowa at the state level. Any hope at all for a suppressor bill getting through the next 2 years, or should we just be resigned to waiting and seeing what happens in down the road elections?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So, other than Joni being elected to the US Senate, it seems as though their have no real changes in Iowa at the state level. Any hope at all for a suppressor bill getting through the next 2 years, or should we just be resigned to waiting and seeing what happens in down the road elections?
View Quote

I for one won't stop reminding elected officials on issues that are important for me

but in the end Dems goina Dem
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:42:29 AM EDT
[#29]
I would like to hope that some of the Dems might change their tune after seeing the sweeping Republican takeovers around the country...  Maybe some compromise is in order seeing as quite of few of them have elections coming up in 2 years.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#30]
i'm not sure i like the tone of a great portion of this thread.  

there seems to be a lot of "are we going to get this, and if not, i'll stay on the couch" mentality.  please correct me if i'm wrong.  i'm not hacking on you guys for asking the questions, but we need to keep one thing completely clear...  

WE GET WHAT WE WANT WHEN WE WORK HARD ENOUGH LONG ENOUGH

nothing less honors our mission.  sure, the Ds put the shaft to us last year in the senate.  same Ds that made 'shall issue' pass with a D senate and D governor.  when pressure is applied, things tend to break free.  combine that with current events and things considered 'politically prudent' and you get all kinds of variables that tip in your favor.

if i were you guys, i'd be writing my house rep, my senator, and the governor's office RIGHT NOW and illustrate that our state ranks near the very bottom for 2A virtues and that isn't acceptable.  get on these guys like stink on a monkey and let's set the stage for what we want RIGHT NOW...
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I will begin writing.  I know what mine are going to say but I will go ahead and send them to....ALL of the senators and reps.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#32]
It took 8 years to get the "Shall Issue" Bill through. It took a lot of people working to spread the word to plenty of people that didn't want to listen and didn't care.

Don't wait on opportunities, create them !
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top