Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 10/24/2014 11:28:04 PM EDT
My birthday was Wednesday, license expired, so I had today off and there i went. A litany of questions, including "Are you a Veteran?" I said yes. She asked "Do you want Veteran on your License?"

me:"Yes, yes I do."

A call across town to the recorders office, a fax of my dd214, a walk down the hall to Veterans Affairs, a short form, and back to the DL station. Vision test, Photo, $20.00 check and I have a new License.

Well, a paper one for now, they'll mail mine out. But, it sates Veteran in red on the face of it. No need to go and get jacked around by the VA.

I asked her when did the State started to recognize Veterans and put it on the ID's she said July of this year. So Veterans who are not in the VA system can be recognized and receive benefits,discounts etc.

I like it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Good to know.  Very thankful I haven't had to go to the VA for medical services yet.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#2]
You can add that anytime with your DD214 but they charge you to do it, think it was $10.  Lot of places give Vets discounts if you have proof.  I think Lowes does 10% at least on some items.  Haven't had occasion to use mine yet though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Good to see the government can get things right once in a while.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Btw... If you didn't know they changed the veterans license plate fee's now. The first plate is FREE to get (unless you getting a custom plate) and the yearly fee is only $5 or $10 when you renew you tags.  The extra fee $ goes to the Iowa VA.  I picked mine up a few weeks ago, took about 2-3 weeks to get them after doing the paperwork.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I renewed my license yesterday.  I walked in and saw the sign but I did not know I needed my DD214 or I would have brought it.  I retired from the Iowa National Guard so I have a permanent military ID.   Sportsman's gives me 5% every time I stop in.   Thank you Sportsman's Warehouse.    kwg
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for letting us know.  Every once in a while, the government does something right.  Who knew?  
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you know if they take only a dd214, or is a VA dIsability ID card good enough?

Thanks
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top