Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 10/12/2014 9:04:17 PM EDT
A girl my brother knows through facebook found an injured hawk-based on what he said about pictures she posted it sounds like either a redtail or broad-winged. The last time I called DNR about such things I was told to just leave it alone(or that they don't have funding to bother with a common species). Not an option, she already has it in-hand. I told my brother to give her the name of a falconer in Clear Lake as a place to start, but would like to try and put her in touch with an actual rehabber.

One member on GD knows someone, but she has IM and email turned off, so can't send a message that way.
Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if the girl I knows takes in raptors, I know she does a lot of birds and small animals.

She did take in a bunch of baby owls earlier this year, I'll give her a call tomorrow and let you know. She's in Des Moines.

ETA: What area is the bird in? If she doesn't do raptors, I'll see if she knows anyone in that area.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the answer. She's somewhere near Clear Lake, I'll find out more from my brother tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds good. I'll let you know either way on my end tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#4]
It probably would have been best  to leave it alone and let nature run its course.
There are prohibitions against possessing some species of hawks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It probably would have been best  to leave it alone and let nature run its course.
There are prohibitions against possessing some species of hawks.
View Quote

Without a license yes. However, it's not uncommon to hold a license for rehabbing, or keeping certain species for education. It's pricey to get, but it's possible.

Found that out from the girl I know that has a license, when I asked her where I could get a raven as a pet. Turns out it's illegal without a shitload of fees, and licensing.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#6]
i assumed the dnr could direct you to a place.  personally, i'd ask it in a 'what if' scenario when i called and not, "hey i snagged this hawk and have him held captive in my crock pot..." lol...
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Try Calkin's Nature area in Iowa Falls. I know they rehab other birds there, and do some education courses with the schools and community college in the area.

http://www.hardincountyconservation.com/calkins_nature_area.php
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Wildlife Care Clinic at Iowa State University; College of Veterinary Medicine.  515-294-4900.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wildlife Care Clinic at Iowa State University; College of Veterinary Medicine.  515-294-4900.
View Quote

^+1

I know they have a few owls and a red-tailed hawk(that doesn't particularly like me) there. If they can't be rehabilitated they mostly end up getting used for educational events for children/students. They're always looking for donations because there is only so much state and federal grant money and it isn't cheap to take care of all the animals they help.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#10]
McBride Raptor Project

http://recserv.uiowa.edu/Apps/Programs/MacbrideRaptorProject.aspx
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#11]
there is a place over near carroll iowa.....the dnr officer at swan lake can put you in touch with the lady that runs it..........she rehabbed a hawk i found in my yard, then let me help release it back to the wild about 2 months later
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#12]
SOAR avian rescue group.

That's the group the lady I know who rehabs birds recommended for any hawks needing help. She said if they aren't close to you, they are more than willing to drive to pick up a bird.

IM me if you need the number for the lady she knows at the group.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys. I'll try to find out what she does, and post an update when I know something.

ETA-She got in touch with the falconer I mentioned, he knows some people and is making some phone calls. If they fall through I gave her the other info posted here. The bird has a broken wing, and has eaten a mouse so at least it's not poisoning.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#14]
NW Iowa / Spirit Lake Area?Orphaned & Injured Wildlife – (712) 336-3827
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
NW Iowa / Spirit Lake Area?Orphaned & Injured Wildlife – (712) 336-3827
View Quote

Just heard from my brother again-this is where the bird ended up, broken left humerus. They think the bird will be fine after rehab.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the update. The girl I know who gave me a reference will be happy. She's been calling the store every other day looking for updates.

If anyone in Des Moines ever needs care for an injured bird, hit me up, because she definitely cares. Only small birds though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#17]
She sent him a huge text updating him, after vet care it's going to a rehab center in western IA, didn't specify a town. Late spring/early summer of this year hatch and a very aggressive eater, so that's a good sign. A redtail is about as common as they come, but it's still nice to see one get saved instead of dead. Thanks again to all who suggested ideas.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top